Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche copper sequins Skirt suit
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 25.99 in (66 cm)Marked Size: 38 ( 8 US ) (EU)Bust: 34.65 in (88 cm)Waist: 33.86 in (86 cm)Hip: 43.31 in (110 cm)
- Style:Circa 1980 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Jacket and skirt fully covered of copper sequins . The placket ( button tab) of the jacket and the collar is in black satin . Silk lining for both pieces.
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Built = 40 Sleeves length = 58 cm Cuff diameter = 28 cm.
- Seller Location:Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: A61391stDibs: LU2170212312332
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, France
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Dress and Boléro in navy blue viscose knit Luisa SpagnoliBy Luisa SpagnoliLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRDress and Boléro in navy blue viscose knitCategory
Early 2000s Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Black chiné Elsa Schiaparelli 1940's skirt -suitBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack with white chiné wool skirt-suit. Interesting collar effect like a tie. Black silk lining ( jacket only) with Schiaparelli's signatureCategory
1940s Unknown Skirt Suits
- Boléro and dress ensemble with black velvet and stripes Popy MoreniLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBoléro and dress ensemble with black velvet and stripes. The dress backless bustier with ruffles on the skirt. SIZE 42 (Fr) L (US)Category
1980s French Dress and Coat Ensembles
- 3 pieces skirt suit in pink velvet and black silk Lecoanet HemantLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FR3 pieces skirt suit in pink velvet and black silk.( top, skirt and jacket) Passementerie buttons SIZE: 38 (Fr) 8 (Us )Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Mix tartan print skirt-suit Jean-Louis Scherrer Boutique NumberedBy Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRMix tartan print skirt-suit in crêpe Numbered : 031841 Branded buttons and lining. SIZE LCategory
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Tennis stripe skirt-suit in wool with branded snap. Thierry MuglerBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRTennis stripe skirt-suit in wool with branded snap.Double-breasted jacket . Wrap skirt. SIZE 38 (M)Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Bespoke Black weeding groom suit by MAN BilbaoLocated in Bilbao, ESBespoke black wedding morning suit by MAN Bilbao Consisting on long tail chaqué jacket, vest, cuff link blouse, red tie, suspenders and trousers Perfect Condition Only used Once Size 54 Spain MAN 1924 appears once more in the publication Mr Porter...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Trouser Pant Suits
- Alexander Mcqueen 1998 Joan Skirt Suit with Zippered Jacket and Logo Red LiningBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage 1990s Alexander Mcqueen grey skirt suit from the 1998 Joan collection. Suit is made of a beautiful grey and black fabric with a light sheen. A...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1990s Gianni Versace striped black wool/silk & leather detail suitBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Antwerp, BEVintage 1990s Gianni Versace purple striped black suit. made in a mix of 57% wool 42% silk & 2% elastane and leather details at the back/sleeves/collar and the waistband of the trous...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
- Patrick Cox vintage fall 1996 documented three piece colored pinstripe bleu suitLocated in Antwerp, BEAmazing three-piece suit by British shoe designer Patrick Cox The pictures don't do this suit justice. Incredibly well made in England. The suit is made i...Category
1990s British Trouser Pant Suits
- Thierry Mugler Asymmetric jacket Skirt SuitBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful black 2 piece skirt suit from Thierry Mugler. The jacket is collarless with an asymmetric neckline and hem, shoulder pads and a front adjustable belt with a black buckle...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Fantastic 1970s Lillie Rubin chantilly & guipure Lace jumpsuitBy Lillie RubinLocated in West Palm Beach, FLFantastic Lillie Rubin chantilly & guipure Lace jumpsuit from the 1970s, looks unworn! Black lace is set against a nude lining that highlights the beaut...Category
1970s American Jumpsuits