Vintage Valentino Black Cashmere Sweater with Bow
About the Item
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vintage Loris Azzaro Black Knit Top with ChainsBy Loris Azzaro, Loris Azzaro ParisLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s Loris Azzaro black knit top with delicate think chains. Perfect for disco party. Fit size: Small ( 0/2/4)Category
1970s French Blouses
- 1920s Art Deco green metallic floral print silk lame jacketLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAntique 1920s art deco green, yellow, orange and metallic print floral print silk lamé light jacket . fit size 4/6. Medium size Perfect jacket for 1920s downton abbey costume party....Category
20th Century American Jackets
- Junya Watanabe comme des garçons Black Deconstructed Leather VestBy Junya WatanabeLocated in Beverly Hills, CAJunya Watanabe Comme des Garcons Avant Garde Black japaDeconstructed Leather Vest with zipper and belt. Marked size: small. fit US 2/4/6Category
2010s Japanese Vests
- Claude Montana Black Silk Linen Cocktail Top, 1990sBy Claude Montana Paris, Claude MontanaLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Claude Montana Silk Linen Top with unusual multi layer spaghetti tubing on collar almost like necklace. Dress has some buttons the back. Slit on the side. Pair this Claude Montana with black silk pants...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- Chanel Black Wool Blend Ribbed Sweater Top - 40By ChanelLocated in West Palm Beach, FLChanel Black Wool Blend Ribbed Sweater Top - 40. This sweater is a beautiful piece for the cold weather. It is a wool, rayon, and camel hair blend and is in excellent condition with ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Pullovers
- Moschino Ribbon Embroidery Knit PulloverBy Franco MoschinoLocated in New York, NYMoschino fine ribbon embroidery and crystal embellished black jersey knit sleeveless pullover. Of cotton and rayon with peek a boo front closure. Exc...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses
- 1970s Lilli Diamond Black Marabou Feathers Jersey Long Sleeve Vintage CardiganBy Lilli DiamondLocated in San Diego, CAChic early 70s LILLI DIAMOND black jersey marabou feather encrusted long sleeve cardigan top ! Features a tailored fit with buttons up the front center. Can easily be dressed up or d...Category
1970s American Cardigans
- Oleg Cassini Vintage Beaded and Sequins Floral Holiday TopBy Oleg CassiniLocated in Portland, ORThis pretty vintage top from Oleg Cassini is covered with beautiful beads sequins. The beads and sequins form a pretty floral pattern in shades of green, gold, red, and purple.The t...Category
1990s Chinese Sweaters
- JUNYA WATANABE Size S Black & Gray Distressed Cable Knit PulloverBy Junya WatanabeLocated in San Francisco, CAJUNYA WATANABE pullover features a black distressed cable knit front with a crewneck, short batwing sleeves, and gray diamond pattern mesh knit back. Made in Japan. Excellent Pre-O...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Pullovers
- New Gucci Cashmere Cruise Resort 2015 Ad Sequin Sweater Sz LBy GucciLocated in Leesburg, VAGucci Brand New Beautiful 100% Cashmere Sweater Resort 2015 Featured in Ad, Runway and Video $1500 Size L (Narrow Fit) Creme and Blue Gray Fully Sequined Bust: 36" Waist: 36" Leng...Category
2010s Italian Sweaters