- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Louis Vuitton Rare Limited Edition Black Top Handle Carryall Travel Tote Bag
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 14 in (35.56 cm)Width: 20 in (50.8 cm)Depth: 10 in (25.4 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU35924000383
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chicago, IL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Louis Vuitton x Comme des Garcons Monogram Cut Out Carryall Travel Tote BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Condition From 2014 Collection Monogram canvas Leather Cotton Gold tone hardware Date code present Made in France Handle drop 4" Measures 12.5" W x 15.75" H x 5.5" D Inclu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Trunks and Luggage$19,140 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Pegase 60 LV Monogram Camouflage Gold Roller Bag Travel SuitcaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2021 Collection Monogram Canvas Leather Trim Gold Tone Hardware Nylon Lining Measures 21.25" W x 14.25" H x 7" D Handle Drop 0.75" Includes Dust Bag...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Luggage and Travel Bags$26,340 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- FENDI Zucca Logo Brown Cognac Travel Cosmetic Vanity Trunk CaseBy FendiLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1970 Collection Canvas Leather 14” W x 8” H x 9” D Handle Drop 1.25” Includes Mirror, Dust Bag 100% Authenticity GuaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Trunks and Luggage$7,940 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Murakami Monogram Small Travel Top Handle Jewelry Trunk Case BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILMonogram canvas Leather trim Gold tone hardware Woven lining Handle drop 3" Measures 7" W x 6.25 H x 2.75" D includes dust bag and box 100% authenticity guaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$47,940 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Brown White Graffiti Sprouse Carryall Travel Weekend Duffle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILCanvas Leather trim Printed Gold hardware Canvas lining Zipper closure Handle drop 4" Measurements 20" W x 11.75" H x 8.75" D Includes padlock, keys and luggage 100% authenticity guaranteed Steven...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$11,940 Sale Price20% Off
- LOUIS VUITTON Monogram Camouflage Keepall 55 Travel Duffle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2008 Collection Monogram Canvas Leather Includes Shoulder Strap, Name Tag, Handle Holder, Dust Bag W 22.0 x H 11.8 x D 9.8 " Handle Drop 4" Shoulder ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$29,944 Sale Price24% OffFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie Monogram Train Case Vanity Travel Cosmetics BoxBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, Ticino1980s Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie Monogram Train Case Vanity Travel Cosmetics Box - 100% authentic Louis Vuitton - monogram canvas ...Category
1980s French Suitcases and Trunks
- Italian Hot Pink Leather Traveling Pet Bowl and Accessories Never UsedLocated in New Hope, PAThis is the cutest pet accessory, a hot pink leather case for your traveling pet. It zips open at the center, and one side has a shiny stainless steel pet food and/or water bowl. Th...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Trunks and Luggage
- GOYARD Vintage Brown & Grey Monogram Mini WardrobeBy Maison GoyardLocated in New York, NYGoyard Vintage Brown & Grey Monogram Mini Wardrobe Features three pull out drawers inside along with hangers and railing for hanging garments Color: Br...Category
20th Century Suitcases and Trunks
- 1910s Goyard Ainé Wardrobe TrunkBy GoyardLocated in Lugano, Ticino1910s Goyard Wardrobe Trunk - 100% authentic Goyard - Wardrobe trunk in wood and brown canvas. Brass hardware, with solid brass Goyard stamped locks and solid brass clasps and corner...Category
1910s French Suitcases and Trunks
- 1980s Louis Vuitton Monogram Golf BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, Ticino1980s Louis Vuitton Monogram Golf Bag - 100% authentic Vuitton - monogram canvas - 3 zippered compartments, handle and shoulder strap and monogram ...Category
1980s French Trunks and Luggage
- Balenciaga Black Canvas x Calfskin XS Navy Cabas 2way Crossbody 89ba629sLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: 390346-1090-W-002123 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 9.5" Width: 2.75" Height: 7.5" Shoulder Handle Drop: 21" Handle Drop: 5" OVERALL VERY GOOD CO...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Tote Bags
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Shiro Kuramata, Glas ItaliaLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,290Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery