View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAA vintage Gucci navy canvas shoulder bag with yellow and white sun print. Leather shoulder strap zipper top, and brass-tone metal hardware. Excellent Vintage ConditionCategory
1970s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Rare Chanel Python Leather 2000 Runway Top & Pants EnsembleBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is excited to offer a vintage Chanel leather ensemble featuring a cropped sleeveless top with a silver metal CHANEL logo disc, and center back zipper. The matching pants...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Chanel Khaki Flared Cotton PantsBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a pair of vintage Chanel khaki cotton flared pants featuring, front side pockets, back patch pockets, a side zipper, straight legs, flared an...Category
1990s French Pants
- Chanel Pleated Skirt With Floral Sequin WaistbandBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black pleated evening skirt featuring decorative black mesh flowers and rhinestone beaded waistband, top b...Category
1990s French Skirts
- Chanel Black Skirt Suit With Iconic Bead & Pearl Necklace PrintBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black skirt suit featuring a button front jacket, bow collar, covered buttons, iconic bead and pearl neckl...Category
Early 2000s French Skirt Suits
- Vintage Chanel Red & Black Floral Jodhpurs Capri Pants 1997By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black, red, and yellow cotton floral print jodhpur capri pants, featuring a high waist, corset laces at th...Category
1990s French Jodhpur Pants
- Chanel Navy Blue Lambskin Top Handle Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Navy Blue Lambskin Top Handle Flap Bag is in very good condition. Regal navy-blue lambskin is quilted in signature Chanel diamond pattern with large interlocki...Category
21st Century and Contemporary European Tote Bags
- Chanel Ivory Calfskin Reissue Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Ivory Calfskin Reissue Tote Bag is in excellent plus condition. Neutral ivory calfskin is quilted in signature Chanel diamond pattern. Double zippered compart...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Red Cruise Crochet Logo Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel red braided crochet flap with large CC clasp closure Year: 2014 Silver hardware Thick chain Classic zippered interior pocket Red nylon interior lining Strap Drop 9” 7” H x 10...Category
2010s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Blue Denim Bowling Bag Luxury Ligne Medium SatchelBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Blue Denim Bowling Bag Luxury Ligne Medium Satchel Two Woven Chain-link And Denim Handles Zip-around Closure Interior Zip, Slip And Pouch Pockets Denim Canvas Lining Silver H...Category
Early 2000s Italian Tote Bags
- Chanel Boating Python Large Classic Shopper Zippered Expandable ToteBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Boating Python Large Classic Shopper Zippered Expandable Tote Year: 2010 Medium zip around boating tote Silver hardware Rubberized CC logo Glazed boat rope handle Canvas inte...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Chanel Timeless Fringe Large Mesh Black Leather ToteBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel large fringe resort tote with black mesh 2011 Classic silver hardware interwoven chain Crochet mesh nylon fabric Strap drop 25" 15" H x 16" W x .5" D Made in Italy Conditio...Category
2010s Italian Tote Bags
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery