View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Vintage Chanel Red & Black Floral Jodhpurs Capri Pants 1997By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black, red, and yellow cotton floral print jodhpur capri pants, featuring a high waist, corset laces at th...Category
1990s French Jodhpur Pants
- Chanel Black Skirt Suit With Iconic Bead & Pearl Necklace PrintBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black skirt suit featuring a button front jacket, bow collar, covered buttons, iconic bead and pearl neckl...Category
Early 2000s French Skirt Suits
- Rare Chanel Python Leather 2000 Runway Top & Pants EnsembleBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is excited to offer a vintage Chanel leather ensemble featuring a cropped sleeveless top with a silver metal CHANEL logo disc, and center back zipper. The matching pants...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Chanel Khaki Flared Cotton PantsBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a pair of vintage Chanel khaki cotton flared pants featuring, front side pockets, back patch pockets, a side zipper, straight legs, flared an...Category
1990s French Pants
- Chanel Pleated Skirt With Floral Sequin WaistbandBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black pleated evening skirt featuring decorative black mesh flowers and rhinestone beaded waistband, top b...Category
1990s French Skirts
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAA vintage Gucci navy canvas shoulder bag with yellow and white sun print. Leather shoulder strap zipper top, and brass-tone metal hardware. Excellent Vintage ConditionCategory
1970s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Textured Sequin and Quilted Leather ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZGet your hands on the most luxurious Chanel clutch you can find! This is a highly textured Chanel clutch with an ultra-soft leather quilted leather contrasted with extremely textured...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches
- Chanel Runway Minaudière Ombre Pink & Orange Hard Shell Handbag ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Roosendaal, NLFrom the collection of Savineti we offer this rare runway Chanel Minaudière handbag/clutch: - Brand: Chanel - Model: Minaudière - Year: 2014 - Code: 19424583 - Condition: very good ...Category
2010s French Clutches
- New Condition- Chanel Clutch in black patent quilted leather, Champagne hardwareBy ChanelLocated in Paris, IDFSplendid Chanel clutch bag in black patent quilted leather, champagne metal hardware Flap closure, CC champagne metal clasp Single Flap Black leather lining, one zipped pocket Signat...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches
- Small glass round beads on pale pink satin base clutch Chanel ( Numbered)By ChanelLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRSmall glass round beads on pale pink satin base ( Numbered)Category
Early 2000s French Clutches
- Chanel Black Tweed and Rhinestone Runway ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black Tweed and Rhinestone Runway Clutch is in pristine condition. Enhanced with ornate crystals and a Lucite clasp, this spectacular piece from the 1990’s is ...Category
1990s French Clutches
- Chanel Red Lizard Vintage Tassel ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLChanel Braise Red Lizard Clutch- Excellent Condition Collectible vintage piece from the early 1990’s in rare lizard skin. Bright red lizard skin is quilted in signature Chanel di...Category
Late 20th Century Clutches
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.