Christian Dior vintage monogram envelope clutch
View Similar Items
Christian Dior vintage monogram envelope clutch
- Dimensions:Height: 6.7 in (17 cm)Width: 9.85 in (25 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Material Notes:Canvas and Leather
- Seller Location:Amman, JO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3336219368832
About the Designer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
- Christian Dior NEW Jungle Print Pouch SetBy Christian DiorLocated in Amman, JOChristian DiorLady Dior 3in1 jungle print multi-color clutch. Includes a smaller giraffe print pouch and a monkey print mini pouch. Has not been used how...Category
15th Century and Earlier French Clutches
- Michael Kors Croc Embossed Buckle ClutchBy Michael Kors, Michael Michael KorsLocated in Amman, JODescription: Michael Kors Croc Embossed Buckle Clutch. Material: Leather Measurements: Height: 13cm Width: 27cm Depth: 2cm Overall condition: Very GoodCategory
21st Century and Contemporary American Clutches
- Gucci Vintage Jackie 1961 Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Amman, JOGucci Vintage Jackie 1961 Black canvas monogram print bag, with gold buckle and red and green detailing on the front, and leather edges and handle, wit...Category
15th Century and Earlier Italian Clutches
- Yves Saint Laurent Metallic Red Leather Belle De Jour Flap ClutchBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Amman, JOYves Saint Laurent Metallic Red Leather Belle De Jour Flap Clutch, with a YSL-stitched flap that leads to a satin interior and one slip pocket. Material: Leather Measurements: Heigh...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches
- Gucci Soho Chain Black Python Tote BagBy GucciLocated in Amman, JOGucci Soho Chain Black Python Shoulder Tote. Features GG logo motif at front with tassel detail. Additional information: Material: Leather Hardware: Silver Tone Measurements: 37 W x...Category
15th Century and Earlier Italian Tote Bags
- Coach Black Shoulder Bag with Buckle DetailBy Coach HouseLocated in Amman, JOBlack Coach shoulder bag, with buckle detail on the front and flap, includes one zipper pocket on the inside. Additional information: Material: Lea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Structured Shoulder Bags
- Womens Designer BOTTEGA VENETA PIAZZA TOP HANDLE BAGBy Bottega VenetaLocated in London, GBStunning and Classic piece from Bottega Veneta, the Piazza bag. The detail on the strap and the intrecciato leather on the sides of the bag are exquisite. This bag is in preloved con...Category
21st Century and Contemporary ClutchesUnavailable$1,642Free Shipping
- Womens Designer JUDITH LEIBER VINTAGE EXOTIC LEATHER BAGBy Judith LeiberLocated in London, GBThis exquisite Lizard leather bag with stone detailed opening by Judith Leiber is just breathtaking. Wear as a Cross-Body, Shoulder or Clutch bag. Truly a collector's item with lots ...Category
Late 20th Century ClutchesUnavailable$443Free Shipping
- WOMENS DESIGNER Gina Amy Clutch with ChainBy GinaLocated in London, GBJust breathtaking.! This beautiful Satin clutch bag by Gina is just exquisite especially the Crystal embellished flap. Lined with beige suede. An elegant and chic piece to add to an...Category
21st Century and Contemporary ClutchesUnavailable$556Free Shipping
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Rose Print Silk Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Rose Print Silk Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 6.69 inches (17 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Tassel: 7.08 inches...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White Bag Measurements: Height: 6 2/8 inches Width: 10 6/8 inches Depth: 1 6/8 inches Removable Strap: 59 inches (adjustable) Features: - 100% Authentic KARL LAGERFELD. - White flap clutch/ shoulder bag with embossed fan allover. - Large fan with KARL LAGERFELD logo on the flap. - Removable shoulder strap. - Inside has gold metal fan plate...Category
20th Century French Shoulder Bags
- PRADA Exotic Red XL Evening Clutch BagBy PradaLocated in Switzerland, CHA PRADA signature piece that will last you for many years Timeless classic - a true beauty! A truly luxurious and elegant piece Prada long clutch with silver-tone hardware Logo ador...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches$1,199 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery