- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
HERMES Purple Black Cognac Face Evergrain Leather Clutch Shoulder Flap Bag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Chicago, IL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- HERMES Bearn Navy Matte Alligator Lizard Exotic Palladium Clutch WalletBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILFrom 2018 Collection Lizard Alligator Palladium Hardware Measures 7" W x 3.75" H x 1" D Includes Box 100% Authenticity GuaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets
- HERMES Black Box Calfskin Leather Silver Evening Envelope Party Clutch BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2002 Collection Box Calfskin Leather Leather Lining Silver Tone Hardware Measures 10" W x 5.5" H x 0.75" D Includes Box 100% Authenticity Guarantee...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$5,220 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES NEW Kelly Black Alligator Exotic Gold Hardware Pocket Compact WalletBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILNew Condition From 2020 Collection Shiny Alligator Leather Gold Tone Hardware Measures 5" W x 3.75" H x 0.25" D Includes Box and CITES Certificate 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEW...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets$10,020 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES Jige 29 Burgundy Porosus Crocodile Exotic 'H' Logo Evening Clutch BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Condition Porosus Crocodile Leather Lining Measures 11.5" W x 6" H x 0.75" D Includes Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$11,140 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES Chocolate Brown Box Leather Gold Faco Envelope Evening Clutch BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1977 Collection Box Calfskin Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 10" W x 6.5" H x 2.25" D Includes Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticity ...Category
1970s Clutches$5,460 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES Kelly Pochette Black Box Calfskin Leather Palladium Hardware Clutch BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2002 Collection Box Calfskin Leather Palladium Hardware Measures 11" W x 6" H x 1.5" D Includes Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticity GuaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$24,740 Sale Price20% Off
You May Also Like
2010s French Clutches
1990s French Clutches
1980s French Clutches
21st Century and Contemporary French Evening Bags and Minaudières
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches
Early 20th Century French Clutches
1990s French Clutches
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches
20th Century Clutches
Featured in Editors' Picks
Vintage 1950s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Sofas
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary Color Photography
Plexiglass, Wood, Photographic Film, Archival Paper, Photographic Paper
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Cuff Bracelets
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
2010s American Other Glass
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every Birkin is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery