- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Judith Leiber Black Alligator Matte Hardware Clutch
About the Item
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU104219348662
When it comes to handbags, no designer can compete with Judith Leiber’s (1921–2018) ability to create magic using opulent crystals and wildly imaginative and playful shapes. The Hungarian-born designer made minaudières (small, decorative handbags, often without handles or a strap) in the form of crystal-covered swans, cupcakes, lipstick, wads of cash, teddy bears and other delightful objects. These dazzling objets d’art have been regularly seen in the hands of First Ladies, movie stars on the red carpet and even in the prestigious collections of institutions like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Like many pathbreaking inventions in the history of design, Leiber’s minaudières were the result of a happy accident. In 1967, she began working on her first metal handbag. The piece in question was named the Chatelaine, and the design was a graceful drop-shaped purse in gold-tinted metal. But when the samples came in, Leiber saw that the bottom of the bag looked greenish and discolored as a result of the plating process. She had the ingenious idea of applying crystal rhinestones to the base to cover up the flaws. The dazzling bag was a huge success and would become her trademark.
Born Judith Peto in Budapest, Leiber overcame many hardships before her breakthrough. At the start of World War II, she was working at the Pessl handbag company in Budapest where she quickly climbed the ranks to become a master craftswoman. When the war escalated, she and her Jewish family were forced by the Nazis to live in a cellar of a ghetto, and several of her relatives were killed in concentration camps. “I designed handbags in my head to get through the misery,” she said. After the liberation of Budapest, she married Gerson “Gus” Leiber, an American GI, and moved to New York. In 1948, she began working for the fashion house Nettie Rosenstein. One of her first major pieces was the handbag embroidered with glittering rhinestones and pearls carried by Mamie Eisenhower at the 1953 inaugural ball. In 1963, she finally set up her own company.
Leiber’s whimsical designs embellished with Swarovski crystals and semiprecious stones defied traditional notions of luxury handbags. She also created striking clutches and bags with leather and fine textiles from around the world. In her 65-year career, she designed over 3,500 bags, which have been worn by First Ladies including Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush, pop icons like Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez and celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner (who collects Leiber’s handbags). In 2005, the Leiber Collection Museum opened in East Hampton, New York, as a permanent space to showcase her work. The minaudières remain coveted objects celebrated worldwide for their eclectic beauty and glamorous charm.
The value of a good handbag cannot be overstated — find a collection of vintage Judith Leiber handbags and other fashion accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: philadelphia , PA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Marc Jacobs Pink Sequin Frog Clutch Shoulder BagLocated in Philadelphia, PAMarc Jacobs Pink Sequin Catherine Clutch Shoulder Bag in excellent condition. Dark pink quilted sequin exterior trimmed with matching pink suede and and gunmetal hardware. Small gunm...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Chanel Red Quilted Leather CC Fold Over ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Philadelphia, PAChanel Red Quilted Leather CC Fold Over Clutch in excellent condition. Bright red quilted leather exterior trimmed with matte gold CC logo hardware along front top fold. Two interior...Category
- Vintage Judith Leiber Natural Tan and Brown Snakeskin ClutchBy Judith LeiberLocated in Philadelphia, PAVintage Judith Leiber Natural Tan and Brown Snakeskin Clutch in excellent condition. Tan and brown python exterior trimmed with gold hardware and multi color gemstones. Side pull lat...Category
- Judith Leiber Brown Alligator ClutchBy Judith LeiberLocated in Philadelphia, PAVintage Judith Leiber Brown Alligator Clutch in excellent condition. Brown alligator trimmed with gold hardware and tiger eye twist lock closure. T...Category
- Barry Kieselstein Cord Beige Gold Lizard Egyptian Goddess ClutchLocated in Philadelphia, PABarry Kieselstein Cord Beige Gold Lizard Clutch in excellent condition. Beige and metallic gold lizard leather exterior trimmed with matte gold hardware. Unique Egyptian goddess...Category
- Fendi Green Logo Box ClutchBy FendiLocated in Philadelphia, PAFendi Green Logo Box Clutch in good condition. Green hard acrylic with matching green leather logo along front side. Magnetic closure. Green leather interior ...Category
- Womens Designer BOTTEGA VENETA PIAZZA TOP HANDLE BAGBy Bottega VenetaLocated in London, GBStunning and Classic piece from Bottega Veneta, the Piazza bag. The detail on the strap and the intrecciato leather on the sides of the bag are exquisite. This bag is in preloved con...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$1,630Free Shipping
- Womens Designer JUDITH LEIBER VINTAGE EXOTIC LEATHER BAGBy Judith LeiberLocated in London, GBThis exquisite Lizard leather bag with stone detailed opening by Judith Leiber is just breathtaking. Wear as a Cross-Body, Shoulder or Clutch bag. Truly a collector's item with lots ...Category
Late 20th Century Clutches$440Free Shipping
- WOMENS DESIGNER Gina Amy Clutch with ChainBy GinaLocated in London, GBJust breathtaking.! This beautiful Satin clutch bag by Gina is just exquisite especially the Crystal embellished flap. Lined with beige suede. An elegant and chic piece to add to an...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$552Free Shipping
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Rose Print Silk Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Rose Print Silk Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 6.69 inches (17 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Tassel: 7.08 inches...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White Bag Measurements: Height: 6 2/8 inches Width: 10 6/8 inches Depth: 1 6/8 inches Removable Strap: 59 inches (adjustable) Features: - 100% Authentic KARL LAGERFELD. - White flap clutch/ shoulder bag with embossed fan allover. - Large fan with KARL LAGERFELD logo on the flap. - Removable shoulder strap. - Inside has gold metal fan plate...Category
20th Century French Shoulder Bags
- Vintage 1960s KORET ITALY Gold Woven Large Clutch BagBy KoretLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1960s KORET ITALY Gold Woven Large Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 9.84 inches (25 cm) Width: 11.41 inches (29 cm) Button: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic KORET ITALY. - Large gold braided and woven straw clutch bag...Category
1960s Italian Clutches
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery