YSL Envelope Clutch
View Similar Items
YSL Envelope Clutch
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Saint Laurent YSL Lambskin Suede Patchwork Small Jamie BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZBlack 'Jamie' quilted shoulder bag from Saint Laurent. Size small. Made of lamb leather and suede. Fastened with magnetic snap. Metal logo at front. Single chain and leather shoulder...Category
2010s Italian Clutches
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Gold Metal Minaudiere Tassel Shoulder BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Gold Metal Minaudiere Tassel Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 3.5 inches (9 cm) Width: 6 inches (15 cm) Depth: 2.55 inches (6.5 cm) Strap Length: 41...Category
1980s French Clutches
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche ClutchBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in PARIS, FRYves Saint Laurent clutch bag with small pitch Good condition. Signed by stamp inside Packaging : Opulence vintage dust bag Additional information: Designer: Yves Saint Laurent Dim...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- YSL Yves Saint Laurent Minaudière Gold Clutch Evening Bag Circa 1980sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Miami Beach, FLVintage gold plated Yves Saint Laurent clutch is perfect for an evening out on the town. From the 1980s, it features a gold metal exterior with a silver YSL logo in the center. The...Category
1980s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Rare Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent S/S 2002 Runway Brown Ring Leather ClutchBy Tom Ford, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Montgomery, TXVery Rare dark brown leather Clutch with brass hardware designed by Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent dating to Spring of 2002. Measurements: L - 14 inches, H - 4 inches. N 95928-00092...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Yves Saint Laurent Black Dali Lips Clutch YSL 2003 Tom Ford Era CollectorsBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLFrom The Spring 2003 Yves Saint Laurent Collection By Tom Ford Comes This Highly Collectable Black Leather Pleated Clutch Bag With black and silver kissing Enamel Lips Magnetic Cla...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clutches
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.