- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
GUCCI Red Suede & Black Patent Leather Orphidia Shoulder Bag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- GUCCI x Balenciaga Beige GG Supreme Canvas The Hacker Project Web Small JackieBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI x Balenciaga Beige GG Supreme Canvas The Hacker Project Web Small 1961 Jackie Xupes Reference: HB4642 Serial Number: 636706 520981 Age (Circa): 2021 Accompanied By: Gucci Box,...Category
2010s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI x Balenciaga GG Supreme Canvas The Hacker Project Web Mini Horsebit 1955By GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI x Balenciaga Beige GG Supreme Canvas The Hacker Project Web Mini Horsebit 1955 Xupes Reference: HB4717 Serial Number: 658574 520981 Age (Circa): 2021 Authenticity Details: Dat...Category
2010s Structured Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI x Balenciaga Black Calfskin Leather The Hacker Project Small 1961 JackieBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI x Balenciaga Black Calfskin Leather The Hacker Project Small 1961 Jackie Xupes Reference: HB4693 Serial Number: 636712 498879 Age (Circa): 2021 Accompanied By: Gucci Dust Bag,...Category
2010s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI White Pigskin Leather & GG Supreme Flora Canvas Small Orphidia Shoulder BaBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI White Pigskin Leather & GG Supreme Flora Canvas Small Orphidia Shoulder Bag Xupes Reference: CB714 Serial Number: 499621 493075 Age (Circa): 2022 Accompanied By: Gucci Dust Ba...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- 2020 Gucci Violet Cyclamen Matte Alligator Leather Small Padlock Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI Violet Cyclamen Matte Alligator Leather Small Padlock Shoulder Bag Xupes Reference: HB3538 Serial Number: 409482 525040 Age (Circa): 2020 Accompanied By: Gucci Dust Bag, Box, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- GUCCI GG Supreme Canvas & Brown Pigskin Leather Web Small Orphidia Belt BagBy GucciLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireGUCCI GG Supreme Canvas & Brown Pigskin Leather Web Small Orphidia Belt Bag Xupes Reference: HB4855 Serial Number: 517076 186628 Age (Circa): 2018 Accompanied By: Gucci Dust Bag, Bo...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$1,108Free Shipping
- 1980s Gucci Grey Suede Convertible Cross Crossbody Hard ShellBy GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous grey suede hardshell Gucci convertible crossbody bag. From the 1980s, this clam shell style bag is constructed in a light grey suede contrasted with ...Category
1980s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$1,196 Sale Price25% Off
- F/W 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Grey Suede Dionysus Tiger Crossbody with Gold ChainBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a shiny suede Gucci crossbody, designed by Tom Ford. This bag is constructed primarily of off-white suede but is finished with black leather and gold hardware. ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$1,046 Sale Price25% Off
- Vintage Gucci Bag Lizard Skin Exotic Reptile Clutch or Crossbody 1980s RareBy GucciLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLPreowned, vintage, authentic Gucci clutch, shoulder or crossbody bag, likely made in the 1980s. Made from exotic lizard skins in a pebble-brown hued shade with gray leather trim and ...Category
1980s Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$600 Sale Price20% Off
- TYLER ELLIS Anjuli Clutch Large Red Nile Crocodile Gold HardwareBy Tyler EllisLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe Anjuli clutch is a structured oval clutch, with an optional cross-body chain, and interior pocket. It features our signature slide-lock closure and Thayer blue satin lining. Si...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches
- Chanel Red Grained Leather Camellia Wallet On ChainBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYListing Title: Chanel Red Grained Leather Camellia Wallet On Chain SKU: 120836 Condition: Pre-owned Handbag Condition: Very Good Condition Comments: Very Good Condition. Scuffing th...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Judith Leiber Wine & Back Snakeskin Mini Clutch Shoulder Bag Silver HardwareBy Judith LeiberLocated in West Palm Beach, FLJudith Leiber wine & black snakeskin mini clutch or shoulder bag with silver hardware. Flap front bag with silver metal band at flap. Perfect for cocktails or any special occasion. L...Category
1980s American Clutches
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.