- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermès Navy Satin Evening Bag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Chanel Gold Mini Reissue Runway Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Gold Mini Reissue Flap Bag is a runway piece in pristine condition. Encrusted with tiny gold flecks and quilted in signature Chanel diamond pattern. Gold tone...Category
2010s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Versace Red Embossed Croc Evening BagBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Versace Red Embossed Croc Evening Bag is in pristine condition. Red leather with embossed crocodile skin pattern and silver hardware accents. Corset style lacing and...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Red Satin Vintage Evening BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Satin Vintage Evening Bag is in superb condition. Uniquely shaped in vivid red satin, this crossbody piece is truly beautiful. Bright red satin vintage ba...Category
Late 20th Century European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Vintage Black Resin Evening BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black Resin Evening Bag is in excellent vintage condition from the late 1980's A rare piece that is a must have for any collector. Polished black resin rectangu...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Hermès Vintage Black Niloticus Crocodile 26 cm Kelly SportBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Vintage Black Niloticus Crocodile 26 cm Kelly Sport is in excellent plus condition, nearly pristine. This style is no longer in production and highly collectib...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermès Black Epsom 18 cm Constance with Rose Gold HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Black Epsom 18 cm Constance is in pristine unworn condition. The most coveted size, the 18 cm Constance is especially hard to find with rose gold hardware. ...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermès Vintage Pola Purse Clutch Evening Bag 2 ways Black Ostrich Golden HdwBy HermèsLocated in ., FRRare and Beautiful Authentic Hermès Purse "Pola" Made in France No stamp but vintage Made of Ostrich Leather and Golden Hardware Ostrich is it a resistant leather, and less sub...Category
Late 20th Century French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermès Black Box Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAVintage Hermès black leather shoulder bag with gold-plated hardware, leather interior and multiple interior pockets. Braided strap detaches to make the bag a clutch. Handle drop, 11...Category
1990s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Micro Sac 70mm Noir Villandry Palladium Paper Clip Chain Limited EditionBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Hermes Runway Limited Edition 70mm Micro Sac features Black Veau Villandry leather. This 3" Micro Mini Sac features palladium Paper Clip Chain. Carried by hand ...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Micro Rond Veau Noir Villandry Bag Palladium Paper Clip Chain Ltd EdtnBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLGuaranteed authentic Hermes Rond Micro Sac features Black Veau Villandry leather. Has small hidden mirror inside! Palladium Paper Clip Chain can be carried by hand or as a shoulder b...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- HERMES Constance 23 Black Crocodile Exotic Gold Hardware Small Shoulder Flap BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1990Collection Porosus Crocodile Leather Lining Gold Hardware Measures 9" W x 7" H x 2" D Strap Drop 14.5" Includes Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticit...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$25,893 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- Hermès Vintage Sequana Bag Magic Purple Blue Porosus Crocodile Golden Hdw RAREBy HermèsLocated in ., FRAbsolutely Stunning Authentic Hermès Vintage Bag "Séquana" This bag is magic! Depending on the weather, the light, your outfit, its color changes! It will sometimes look purple, s...Category
1980s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.