Judith Leiber Python Structured Frame Bag with Trio of Accessories
About the Item
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU162727115051
When it comes to handbags, no designer can compete with Judith Leiber’s (1921–2018) ability to create magic using opulent crystals and wildly imaginative and playful shapes. The Hungarian-born designer made minaudières (small, decorative handbags, often without handles or a strap) in the form of crystal-covered swans, cupcakes, lipstick, wads of cash, teddy bears and other delightful objects. These dazzling objets d’art have been regularly seen in the hands of First Ladies, movie stars on the red carpet and even in the prestigious collections of institutions like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Like many pathbreaking inventions in the history of design, Leiber’s minaudières were the result of a happy accident. In 1967, she began working on her first metal handbag. The piece in question was named the Chatelaine, and the design was a graceful drop-shaped purse in gold-tinted metal. But when the samples came in, Leiber saw that the bottom of the bag looked greenish and discolored as a result of the plating process. She had the ingenious idea of applying crystal rhinestones to the base to cover up the flaws. The dazzling bag was a huge success and would become her trademark.
Born Judith Peto in Budapest, Leiber overcame many hardships before her breakthrough. At the start of World War II, she was working at the Pessl handbag company in Budapest where she quickly climbed the ranks to become a master craftswoman. When the war escalated, she and her Jewish family were forced by the Nazis to live in a cellar of a ghetto, and several of her relatives were killed in concentration camps. “I designed handbags in my head to get through the misery,” she said. After the liberation of Budapest, she married Gerson “Gus” Leiber, an American GI, and moved to New York. In 1948, she began working for the fashion house Nettie Rosenstein. One of her first major pieces was the handbag embroidered with glittering rhinestones and pearls carried by Mamie Eisenhower at the 1953 inaugural ball. In 1963, she finally set up her own company.
Leiber’s whimsical designs embellished with Swarovski crystals and semiprecious stones defied traditional notions of luxury handbags. She also created striking clutches and bags with leather and fine textiles from around the world. In her 65-year career, she designed over 3,500 bags, which have been worn by First Ladies including Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush, pop icons like Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez and celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner (who collects Leiber’s handbags). In 2005, the Leiber Collection Museum opened in East Hampton, New York, as a permanent space to showcase her work. The minaudières remain coveted objects celebrated worldwide for their eclectic beauty and glamorous charm.
The value of a good handbag cannot be overstated — find a collection of vintage Judith Leiber handbags and other fashion accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Salvatore Ferragamo Black Suede Kelly Style Vintage HandbagBy Salvatore Ferragamo, FerragamoLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis rare black suede leather "Gancini 2way" handbag from Salvatore Ferragamo features a top handle, a foldover top, iconic Ferragamo gold-tone hardware, an engraved logo, interior c...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Top Handle Bags$2,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Hermés Vintage 1980 Kelly 32CM Tan Ostrich BagBy HermèsLocated in Los Angeles, CAExquisite vintage Hermés Kelly handbag in tan ostrich with detachable shoulder strap, original Hermés dust bag and gold tone hardware, lock, clochette and key. This is not your typical Hermes bag, this fine vintage example is something special and something unique. Don't buy this bag because you want the newest thing fresh off the factory line, let your friends be the typical ones with the newest Hermes Kelly or Birkin in Palladium. Select this incredible rarity because you are a connoisseur and collector of objet d'art. Choose this special collector's piece because you are unique and need a bag to reflect it. Choose this refined item of history because of your discriminating taste. Founded by Thierry Hermès in Paris, France, 1837, Hermès specializes in many luxurious goods such as leather, watches, jewelry and home furnishings. In 1935, Hermès launched one of their most notable goods, the Sac à dépêches bag, eventually renamed to the "Kelly" bag, designed by Robert Dumas. The bag was renamed after the Princess of Monaco, Grace Kelly. Kelly used...Category
1980s French Structured Shoulder Bags$27,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Cartier "Byzantine" Belt or Necklace in Gold Vermeil, Signed, circa 1970By CartierLocated in Los Angeles, CAAn extremely rare gold vermeil belt by Cartier, circa 1970, also can be worn as a chunky statement necklace. This highly sought after and coveted belt is made from solid sterling si...Category
1970s American Belts$11,760 Sale Price20% Off
- Lavender Leather Crossbody Bag By Coach, 1990sLocated in Los Angeles, CA- Vintage item - 6.5" tall / 8" width / 4" depth - 15" - 17" strap drop (adjustable) - Lavender purple leather with suede interior - Silver tone hardware - Zip closure - By Co...Category
1990s American Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$180 Sale Price20% Off
- Mint Green Leather Crossbody Bag By Coach, 1990sLocated in Los Angeles, CA- Vintage item - 6.5" tall / 8" width / 4" depth - 15" - 17" strap drop (adjustable) - Mint green leather with suede interior - Silver tone hardware - Zip closure - By Coach (...Category
1990s American Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$180 Sale Price20% Off
- Pastel Braided Straw "Hamptons" Wristlet By Coach, 2000Located in Los Angeles, CA- Vintage item - 5.5" tall / 8" width / 2.5" depth - 8.5" removeable chain with leather wristlet strap - Pastel straw striped design - Tan leather details - Gold tone hardware ...Category
Early 2000s American Wallets and Small Accessories$158 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet BagBy Christian LacroixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet Bag Measurements: Height: 9 inches (23 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Top Handle: 12.79 ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- CHANEL Tan Beige Nude Lambskin Leather Gold Mini Small Top Handle Kelly BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1990 Collection Lambskin Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 6.75" W x 4.5" H x 2.25" D Handle Drop 3" 100% Authenticity Guaranteed b...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$11,940 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL CC Cognac Brown Black Wood Logo Hardware Top Handle Carryall Novelty BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1996 Collection Wood Silver Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 9.76" W x 6" H x 5" D Handle Drop 1.5" Includes Authenticity Card and Dust Bag 100...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$32,740 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Fendi Monogram Fabric Brown Gold Leather Top Handle Satchel Small Mini Spy BagBy FendiLocated in Chicago, ILFabric Leather Gold tone hardware Woven lining Zipper closure Made in Italy Handle drop 6" Measures 12.5" W x 7" H x 5" D 100% authenticity guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags$3,140 Sale Price20% Off
- Edwardian Jeweled Pale Green Trinity Plate Needlepoint Minaudière Handbag, 1900sLocated in Tucson, AZEqually as coveted by the well-bred Victorienne as by the gin-baby flapper, Trinity Plate reticules and minaudières were THE accessory of choice for fash...Category
Early 1900s American Evening Bags and Minaudières$480 Sale Price20% Off
- Yellow and Gold Sequin and Gold Bead Evening Bag Made in Hong Kong circa 1960sLocated in London, GBBeautiful yellow and gold sequin and gold bead evening bag, hand made in Hong Kong. It has a gold tone snake chain handle and snap clasp. The bag is covered both back and front with the sequins and beads. The strap tucks neatly inside to make a clutch bag. Measuring width 14.5cm / 5.7 inches and height 11cm / 4.3 inches, and with a handle drop of 38.5cm / 15.1 inches. Inside there is a gold satin lining with a pocket. The bag is in very good condition, there are no beads missing. This is a stylish quality vintage bag which would be perfect for a special occasion. Circa 1960s. After WWII, under British influence, Hong Kong manufactured superior quality items including beaded sweaters, dresses and bags, wicker bags...Category
1960s Hong Kong Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery