Prada Ecrù Satin and Mink Evening Bag, 1998
View Similar Items
Prada Ecrù Satin and Mink Evening Bag, 1998
About the Designer
The House of Savoy coat of arms and knotted rope on Prada’s seal herald that the iconic Italian luxury fashion house was named Official Supplier to the Italian Royal Household in 1919. Started in 1913 by Mario Prada, the brand’s original shop in Milan’s Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II still has the mahogany shelves that displayed its early wares such as travel items and handbags. Today, these fine leather goods are joined by the clothing, wallets and other various accessories that keep the brand on the cutting edge of fashion.
When Mario Prada’s granddaughter, Miuccia Prada (b. 1949), inherited the business from her mother in the late 1970s, Prada was recognized for its quality craftsmanship, yet it was still a modest-sized company. Miuccia, an enthusiast of unconventional Italian filmmakers who’d earned a Ph.D. in political science, introduced the concept of using pocone — a military-grade water-resistant nylon that feels like silk.
Nylon revolutionized the fashion house’s business, with the first Prada nylon backpack released to universal acclaim in 1984. Soon the durable, water-resistant material was incorporated into Prada’s ready-to-wear collections for both men and women. No one had previously considered nylon a part of luxury fashion, and it wasn’t long before the family-owned company best known for its luggage was leading modern style that emphasized function as much as form.
Characterized by clean lines and a refined elegance that signaled the new direction of the legacy brand, Miuccia Prada debuted her first ready-to-wear collection for women in Fall/Winter 1988. More inventive fashion would follow in the ensuing years, such as the 1993 launch of the more affordable, more playful Miu Miu line, which was aimed at a younger audience, and the introduction of Prada Sport in 1997 — a collection now widely seen as prescient for its embrace of athleisure.
Prada has regularly gone against the grain to elevate styles that have long been out of fashion. In 1996, there were dresses and skirts in clashing patterns and muted earth tones that seemed flat and outdated, all worn with chunky high wedge sandals. Fanny packs followed three years later, and elaborate lace in 2008. Each season continues to bring new eye-catching innovations for the historic brand, including enhanced attention to sustainability with Prada Re-Nylon, a new line of bags created from recycled ocean plastic.
Today, find a wide variety of vintage Prada evening dresses, bags and other items on 1stDibs.
- Bottega Veneta Lizard PochetteBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITBeautiful Bottega Veneta bag Lizard leather Taupe color Braided Opening with satin metal hook One internal pocket with zip Two compartments With mirror Cm 17 x 27 (6,69 x 10,62 inch...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$1,468Free Shipping
- Giorgio Armani Red Crocodile small HandbagBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITSuper chic Giorgio Armani bag Real crocodile Red color Two handles Zip closure One internal zip pocket Additional one pocket Interior leather lining...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Bags and Minaudières$1,746Free Shipping
- Miu Miu Red Crossbody PochetteBy Miu MiuLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITFunny and rare Miu Miu pochette Mutton leather an fur Red color Detachable chain shoulder strap Pearls decoration Magnetic closure with automatic buttons Different side spaces for ca...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Bags and Minaudières$467Free Shipping
- Dolce & Gabbana Reptile PochetteBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITDolce & Gabbana super chic and trendy pochette Real reptile Amber rock color Metal DG Metal chain Double authomatic button closure Internal poket Cm 21 x 11 (8.2 x 4.3 inches) World...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$834Free Shipping
- Carlo Zini Mini Jewel bagBy Carlo ZiniLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITBeautiful mini jewel bag by Carlo Zini Platinum color embossed textile Wonderful metal, crystals and swarovski applications Floral pattern Leather handle Button closure Can be carri...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$1,067Free Shipping
- Carlo Zini Mini Jewel bagBy Carlo ZiniLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITBeautiful mini jewel bag by Carlo Zini One of the world's greatest bijoux designers Fuchsia textile Wonderful metal, sequins, crystals and swarovski applications Multicolored abstra...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$778Free Shipping
- Marguerite Fresse Paris jewel frame white beaded evening bagBy Marguerite FresseLocated in West Palm Beach, FLMarguerite Fresse Paris jewel frame white beaded evening bag...Classic 1950s evening bag, the frame is silver metal with a clasp that features...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- MAISON MARGIELA VIntage off white mock croc leather oversized flap clutch bagLocated in Hong Kong, NTMAISON MARGIELA VIntage off white mock croc leather oversized flap clutch bag Reference: TGAS/C01093 Brand: Maison Margiela Material: Leathe...Category
2010s Evening Bags and Minaudières
- BERTONI 1949 hand painted fly print mini trunk shoulder box bag handmadeLocated in Hong Kong, NTBERTONI 1949 hand painted fly print mini trunk shoulder box bag handmade Reference: LNKO/A01769 Brand: Bertoni 1949 Model: Box trunk bag Material: Lea...Category
2010s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- 1980s Adoria Italian White Vintage Raffia Straw 80s Satchel Purse Hand BagLocated in San Diego, CAPretty early 1980s ADORIA Italian Made stark white raffia straw satchel handbag! Features soft white raffia, with secured center pocket that sna...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags
- NEW Gucci by Tom Ford 2004 Dragon Pearl Jeweled Mink Fur Purse Evening BagBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD GORGEOUS FUR EVENING BAG WITH STUNNING JEWELED DRAGON DETAIL DETAILS: A GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years From one of GUCC...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Chanel Cc Logo Muff Vintage Rare Limited Edition White Fur SatchelBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel' White CC Rabbit Muff CC Logo Gold hardware Detachable brushed-gold interwoven chain White rabbit fur Filled with down Black satin lining Chai...Category
1990s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags