1940s Gucci Black Leather Large Birkin Style Travel Bag
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1940s Gucci Black Leather Large Birkin Style Travel Bag
- DimensionsHeight: 19.69 in (50 cm)Width: 10.63 in (27 cm)Length: 21.66 in (55 cm)
- Place of OriginItaly
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. the leather is scratched on the handles and corners. there are no cuts in the leather. the interior is in very good condition and does not have any strange or unpleasant odors.
- Seller LocationLugano, CH
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2386216389602
About the Designer
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Louis Vuitton Limited Edition White/Gold Braided Street Shopper set Barbes BagsBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Limited Edition White/Gold Braided Street Shopper set Barbes Bags, 2007. - 100% authentic Louis Vuitton - set of 2 bags, PM ( 34cm x 14cm x 26cm) and GM (52cm x 19cm x ...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Frog Canvas Coffret Tresor 24 Jewelry BoxBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Frog Canvas Coffret Tresor 24 Jewelry Box, the monogram canvas has been covered and customized with frog designs by a swiss artist ( 2011 ). - 100% authentic Louis Vuit...Category
2010s French Luggage and Travel Bags
- Louis Vuitton Damier Canvas Porte Ordinateur Sabana Computer Case BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Damier Canvas Porte Ordinateur Sabana Computer Case Bag, 2006 - 100 authentic Louis Vuitton - Damier coated canvas with chocolate brown leather trim - Flat leather top ...Category
Early 2000s French Luggage and Travel Bags
- 1980s Louis Vuitton Extra Large Monogram Steamer Travel bagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Extra Large Monogram Steamer Travel bag - 100% authentic Louis Vuitton - Monogram canvas with natural cowhide leather trim - Rolled top vachetta handle - Textile canvas...Category
1980s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags$3,805 Sale Price20% Off
- Louis Vuitton Rayee Striped Canvas Trunk, c.1876By Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, TicinoLouis Vuitton Rayee Striped Canvas Trunk, c.1876. Rare Louis Vuitton carriage trunk produced between 1876 and 1888 in the traditional red and beige striped canvas design. One of the ...Category
1870s French Suitcases and Trunks
- Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie Monogram Train Case Vanity Travel Cosmetics BoxBy Louis VuittonLocated in Lugano, Ticino1980s Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie Monogram Train Case Vanity Travel Cosmetics Box - 100% authentic Louis Vuitton - monogram canvas with leather handle and golden brass corners;...Category
1980s French Suitcases and Trunks
- Gucci Python Black Brown Hysteria Large BagBy GucciLocated in North Miami, FLThis large Gucci python bag can also be used for a travel bag. It is a top handle. The python is a mix of black and brown combination. This was done between 2004-2006. It comes with ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Luggage and Travel Bags$3,600 Sale Price20% Off
- Gucci Ghost Bag in Black Leather with Yellow and Blue DecorationBy GucciLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITGucci bag, Ghost line, made of black leather with yellow and blue decorations that specify the particularity of the collection. The closure is with zip and is very roomy inside. Th...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Chanel Lipstick Open Tote Patent Black Vinyl LargeBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel Lipstick Open Tote Patent Black Vinyl Large Exterior Color Black Interior Color Grey Exterior Material Patent Vinyl Interior Material Satin Hardware Color Silver Chanel Lipsti...Category
2010s Italian Luggage and Travel Bags
- Louis Vuitton Train Case, Louis Vuitton Boite Pharmacie, Louis Vuitton CaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-ouen, FRThis Louis vuitton beauty case features monogram canvas and all brass fittings. All studs are marked Louis Vuitton as well as its leather handle. Interior: Beige coated canvas, adjus...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Suitcases and Trunks
- LOUIS VUITTON c.1970's LV Monogram Coated Canvas Top Handle Steamer Keepall BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Thiensville, WIUnique vintage LOUIS VUITTON c.1970's LV Monogram Coated Canvas Top Handle Steamer Keepall Bag. Very few produced from The French Company USA. LOUIS VUITTON c.1970's LV Monogram Coa...Category
1970s American Top Handle Bags$1,316 Sale Price40% Off
- Louis Vuitton Lockit Limited Edition Handbag in Brown Leather & Golden HardwareBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITLouis Vuitton bag, Lockit model, limited edition 2011/2012 collection, made of matte brown leather with raised black laminated thread monogram and golden hardware. The product is equ...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.