Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Canvas Evasion Travel Bag
About the Item
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Louis Vuitton Monogram Eclipse Keepall Bandoulière 50By Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZWe are offering this very stunning Louis Vuitton travel bag. Made in France, this bag is finely crafted with a combination of Louis Vuitton's dark Monogram Eclipse coated canvas and ...Category
2010s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Stephen Sprouse Rose Monogram Keepall 50By Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis Louis Vuitton Monogram Roses Keepall 50 was made in France in 2008 and it is finely crafted of the classic Louis Vuitton Monogram canv...Category
Early 2000s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Keepall Bandouliere 60 BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZBrown and tan monogram coated canvas vintage Louis Vuitton Keepall Bandoulière 60 with dripping paint graphics at front face, brass hardware, dual rolle...Category
1990s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Keepall Bandoulière 55By Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis vintage duffle is crafted of signature Louis Vuitton monogram on dark brown toile coated canvas. The bag features a vachetta cowhide leather strap, trim, rolled top handles and ...Category
1990s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Canvas Sac Chasse Hunting BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZAlso known as the "Hunting Bag," this Louis Vuitton Sac Chasse is a must-have for any collector. This extra large bag has two carrying methods, by hand with its leather top handle, or with its long...Category
1990s French Garment Bags
- Louis Vuitton Damier Graphite Pégase 65 SuitcaseBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis Louis Vuitton Pégase 65 rolling suitcase was made in France in 2012 and it is finely crafted of the Louis Vuitton Damier Graphite canvas with leather trimming and silver-tone ha...Category
2010s French Suitcases and Trunks
- BRAND NEW-Limited edition Louis Vuitton Speedy 25 strap Fornasetti fw21By Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFLIMITED EDITION -ULTRA EXCLUSIVE - Fashion Week 2021 This Speedy Bandoulière 25 handbag is made from golden metallic leather adorned with prints of statue heads created by the fame...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Celine Vintage Macadam Suede Leather Vanity Case, 1970sBy CelineLocated in Amsterdam, NLCeline authentic vintage cosmetic traveling case View our frontstore for more exclusive items Details: Rare Celine vanity case from circa 70s. ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Suitcases and Trunks
- AW20 Moschino Couture Carrier Multiple Fanny Packs Trekking HarnessBy Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Palm Springs, CAAW20 Moschino Couture Jeremy Scott Carrier Multiple Fanny Packs Trekking Harness Additional Information: Material: 100% Polyester Color: Multicolor, Pink, Blue, Orange Size: Large Style: Body Harness...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Burberry Large Leather Travel BagBy BurberryLocated in London, GBBlack Leather Travel Bag by Burberry Round top carry handles and removable, adjustable shoulder strap. Two front zip pockets and multiple interior pockets. Two large interior compar...Category
2010s Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Louis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Canvas Steamer Travel BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in London, GBLouis Vuitton Vintage Monogram Canvas Steamer Travel Bag Iconic brown monogram canvas bag detailed with tan leather base and top. Designed in rectangular shape with padlock and key...Category
1990s Luggage and Travel Bags
- 1870s Louis Vuitton Rayee Hatbox TrunkBy Louis VuittonLocated in London, GBThe Louis Vuitton Rayee trunk in question is an unparalleled masterpiece of design and craftsmanship, holding the distinction of being one of only two ever...Category
1870s Suitcases and Trunks
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.