- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CHANEL Cage Bag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Paris, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- CHANEL Mini Bag in Sky Blue Straw Effect Cotton FabricBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRExtremely rare. CHANEL Mini bag in sky blue straw effect cotton fabric. It is in correct used condition. The interior is lined in beige. The hologram is present but unreadable. It c...Category
Late 20th Century French Structured Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL CC White And Silver MinaudièreBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRA piece as rarely seen. Chanel has outdone herself in this silver and white minaudiere. On the one hand, a large silver CC shiny on the top then subtly rounded white on the bottom an...Category
2010s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel 2.55 Double Flap Bag in Cream LeatherBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel 2.55 double flap bag in cream leather. Palladium silver metal hardware. The inscriptions: 'Coco and 31 rue Cambon, Chanel' are hammered on the bag. The interior is in beige s...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Ecru Canvas and Leather Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel tote bag in ecru canvas and leather. Silver metal hardware. The interior is in beige fabric with 2 zipped pockets and a zipped pocket attached to a cord. See photos. Hologra...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Gray Varnished Quilted Aged Leather and Galuchat Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel bag in gray varnished quilted leather and part of the flap in galuchat. Aged gilded metal hardware. Clasp 'CC' Mademoiselle. The interior is lined in burgundy fabric with a ...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Eggs Bag Jewelry BoxBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRCollector. Chanel jewelry box eggs bag in black plexiglass Attention, this egg-box bag is straight out of the 2014-2015 Chanel ready-to-wear fashion show so there is no hologram nor ...Category
2010s French Evening Bags and Minaudières$13,815
- Chanel Timeless Limited Edition Vintage Naked Clear Purse Transparent ToteBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLAs seen on Olivia Culpo! Unique vintage extra large Chanel transparent tote made of PVC and lined with patent leather. Features silver hardware, CC logo zipper detail, diamond stitch...Category
1990s Italian Tote Bags
- Chanel 2.55 Reissue XXL Airlines Flap Travel Maxi Quilted Maxi Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Reissue XXL Airlines Flap Travel Maxi Bag Grey Quilted Maxi Stylish Chanel Reissue extra large travel flap bag featuring diamond stitch quilted grey denim canvas in a classic...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Hobo Handbag Transparent Teardrop Spring 2018 Clear Pvc SatchelBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel 2018 stunning runway teardrop hobo bag with silver and glazed calfskin leather Limited edition transparent bag comes with box, dust bag, and authenticity card. Sold-out eve...Category
2010s French Hobo Bags
- Chanel Classic Flap Exotic Limited Edition Metallic Grey Python Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLCharcoal grey Chanel python skin classic flap with sequin and beads. Year: 2011 Silver hardware Classic CC Closure Interior flap zipper Interior flap Interior open pockets Engraved ...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel 2.55 Reissue Transparent Classic Heart Flap Vintage White Grey Clear BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Transparent Classic 2.55 Heart Flap Vintage Grey Tone Clear and White Chanel transparent classic flap in clear and white hues. With a transparent design, this piece is punctu...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Graffiti Watercolor Limited Edition Tote Turquoise Nylon Beach BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Graffiti Watercolor Limited Edition Tote Turquoise Nylon Beach Bag Year: 2011 Silver hardware Removable brown double leather strap Double interwoven chain CC logo CC turnlock...Category
2010s Italian Tote Bags