- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior by John Galliano Cadillac Montaigne Saddle Bag
About the Item
- Style:Y2K (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:PUTNEY, AU
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3082217197272
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: PUTNEY, Australia
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Hardcore Piercing Punk Star Saddle Bag VintageBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in PUTNEY, NSWExtremely rare, limited edition Christian Dior Hardcore Saddle Feature Material: Leather Color: Red & Black Condition: Good, Some colour fa...Category
Early 2000s European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Gucci Horse Bit Suede Waist Pouch Bag Mini Saddle ClutchBy GucciLocated in PUTNEY, NSWExtremly rare in this color, Gucci 50's Horsebit vintage belt bag, featuring Gucci's signature horsebit hardware, suede finish and matching belt in...Category
1650s European Belt Bags$644 Sale Price20% Off
- Fendace Gold Medusa Bling Mesh Mini Fendi Versace FF Zucca Baguette Bag ChainBy Fendi, VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Versace X Fendi Bag as seen countless celebrities. Brand new with dust bag, full set with tags, Feature Material: Mesh, Metal Color: Gold Condition: Brand New Period: 20...Category
2010s European Clutches
- 1990's GIANNI VERSACE CROC SUNBURST Women's Brown Patent CLUTCH BagBy Gianni VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Gianni Versace croc clutch, featuring sunburst hardware, brown pattern croc leather. comes with many card slots and seperate department for ...Category
1990s European Clutches
- 1990's GIANNI VERSACE Medusa Greca 3 Way Women's Red Handbag BAG Clutch SlingBy Gianni VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSW90s Versace signature greca clutch for Japanese market, extremely rare. Comes with 2 straps to be used 3 ways. Feature Colour: Red Material: Leather Condition: Good, some marks on b...Category
1990s European Top Handle Bags$260 Sale Price20% Off
- 1990's GIANNI VERSACE SUNBURST BIRKINS Women's Black Handbag BAGBy Gianni VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSW90s Versace signature sunburst birkins, extremely rare in the size small, which is a perfect everyday size to fit your tablets, makeup and etc. Feature Colour: Black with Gold Hardw...Category
1990s European Top Handle Bags
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- F/W 2004 Christian Dior by John Galliano Mink Eel Distressed Saddle BagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a rare, limited edition saddle bag constructed of eel skin, calf skin, and mink fur designed by John Galliano for Christian Dior's Fall/Winter 2004 collection. ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$2,995Free Shipping
- LIMITED EDITION Christian Dior by John Galliano Embroidery Saddle Bag & MirrorBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHA rare Christian Dior mini evening saddle bag designed by John Galliano From a collectable, limited edition Get this true jewel to upgrade your outfit - a superbe "arm-candy" Stunning gold-tone paisely embroidery on the front - pure perfection! Stunning shiny burgundy-colored silk Gold-Tone Hardware, engraved with CD Dior's logo "D" in front, engraved with CD Chain-Link handle with signature "CD" letters Dior logo Lining Snap closure at side Comes with matching DIOR compact...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Dior Fall 2003 Silk Embroidered BagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZUltra rare mini Dior bag as seen on Jacqui Getty in 2003! Pink satin canvas, embroidered and decorated with sequins with golden leather details and a Dior logo on a shoulder strap. ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Bags and Minaudières
- UNWORN Versace 2003 Nude Silk Georgette Lace Up Gown Dress 40 seen on BellaBy VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous nude evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Fall 2003/2004 Collection One of the most famous Versace dresses ever created by Versace - worn by topmodels, ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Ball Gowns
- Dior Spring 2001 Camo Saddle BagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZAn incredible documented saddle bag made out of fabulous leather with a glossy finish and unique enamel green-to-yellow gradient hardware with sparkly bits. As seen on the runway and...Category
Early 2000s Top Handle Bags$2,563 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano multicoloured slip dress, ss 2005By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior slip dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Constructed from cotton jersey with a patchwork...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano grey silk trained evening dress, fw 2004By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB• Christian Dior by John Galliano • Bias cut evening dress • Cowl neckline • Front leg slit • Criss-cross belt with palladium Dior buckle • Fabric cov...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- F/W 1997 Tom Ford by Gucci Runway Baby Blue Fox Fur Chubby Museum CoatBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: one of Tom Ford's most lusted-after designs during his tenure at the house of Gucci. Recently seen on Rihanna during her birthday celebrations in London! This o...Category
1990s Italian Jackets$26,200 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Dior by John Galliano Saddle Bag Rasta collectionBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Bressanone, ITDior by John Galliano rare rasta saddle bag. Condition: Excellent. Packing/accessories: Box and dustbag. Measurements: 24cm x 20cm x 5cmCategory
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- F/W 2001 Christian Dior by John Galliano Abstract Nylon Saddle Bag PochetteBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a rare variation of the iconic saddle pochette bag designed by John Galliano for Christian Dior constructed of brown watercolor printed nylon with patent leathe...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- F/W 1999 Christian Dior by John Galliano Pony Hair Cheetah Print Lady BagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning cheetah print pony hair Christian Dior lady bag, designed by John Galliano. From the Fall/Winter 1999 colle...Category
1990s Top Handle Bags
- Christian Dior By Galliano Fw/2004 Rasta Cross Body BagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Sheffield, GBFALL / WINTER 2004 COLLECTION CHRISTIAN DIOR Arguably one of the most iconic collections by Galliano for Dior. Fully monogrammed CHRISTIAN DIOR Rasta themed adjustable shoulder ba...Category
Early 2000s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- S/S 2004 Christian Dior by John Galliano Runway Rare Spectator Bag HandbagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 2004 Christian Dior Runway CONDITION: Fair- has basic wear, please see photos FABRIC: Patent leather & faux pearls COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: None MEASUREMENTS; provide...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Dior 2000s Malice Leopard Calf Leather BaguetteThe BagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CABrand : Dior Condition Rank : - Exterior : 8/10 - Interior : 9/10 - Corners : 4/10 (Some of the fur on the edges are lost) Measurements : L 10" x H 6" x W 1.5" x HD 8.5" Material : C...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery