- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
F/W 2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Finale GG Gold Bamboo Ring Shoulder Bag
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 7.5 in (19.05 cm)Width: 13 in (33.02 cm)Depth: 2 in (5.08 cm)Length: 12 in (30.48 cm)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good condition with light signs of wear to leather and canvas.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388213955542
No one understands sex appeal quite like American designer Tom Ford.
An avowed perfectionist from an early age, Ford was rearranging furniture at the age of six and offering his mother advice on her hair and shoes. The designer, author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) is one of the most successful people working in fashion today.
Born in Austin, Texas, Ford grew up in the suburbs of Houston and Santa Fe, New Mexico. He briefly attended New York University, where he studied art history before dropping out to pursue acting. He became a regular at Studio 54, with its decadent nightlife later informing his high-octane fashion. He studied architecture at Parsons School of Design before shifting his focus to fashion and spending time at the Parsons Paris campus, graduating in 1985. The rest of the decade he worked for designers Perry Ellis and Cathy Hardwick. In 1990, Gucci’s creative director Dawn Mello hired him as a womens-wear designer.
At the time, the Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. He soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style. His fall 1995 show, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats. He also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for the fashion house, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which Gucci acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. The brand has expanded into womens wear, beauty, accessories — vintage Tom Ford handbags are universally adored by celebrities and collectors alike — as well as eyewear and fragrance, with the unisex Black Orchid introduced in 2006. Ford broke into film directing with the critically acclaimed A Single Man in 2009 and Nocturnal Animals in 2016, continuing to blur the boundaries between fashion and culture.
Find vintage Tom Ford day dresses, purses, shoes and other clothing and accessories now on 1stDibs.
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- F/W 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Jacquard Tan Tote Silk Scarf PrintBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a tan jacquard print Gucci tote, designed by Tom Ford. This beautiful petite tote is part of the F/W 2000 collection which features a similar color palette that...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- 1990s Gucci by Tom Ford Mini Black Nylon HoboBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a mini Gucci nylon tote, designed by Tom Ford. This petite tote has a removable leather handle with silver plated accents. Th...Category
1990s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- F/W 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Black 'GG' Crossbody Dionysus Tiger BagBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a sleek black 'GG' monogram Gucci crossbody, designed by Tom Ford. This bag is constructed primarily of 'GG' monogram canvas in black but is finished with black...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Kate Moss Burgundy Python Bamboo Crossbody Bag RunwayBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous burgundy python skin two-way Gucci bag, designed by Tom Ford. This beautiful bag in tan was first modeled by Kate Moss for the S/S 1996 Gucci runway, the same bag in blue also being displayed in that season's ad campaign. This bag, constructed of burgundy python, was also present on the runway modeled on Stella Tennant...Category
1990s Italian Hobo Bags
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Woven Brown Leather Hobo Bamboo Bag with StrapBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an intricately woven leather Gucci bag, designed by Tom Ford. This bag is constructed entirely of brown woven leather and is completed with a natural bamboo handle and matching woven shoulder strap. The gold-colored hardware perfectly completes this well-crafted, iconic Gucci bag...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- F/W 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Pink Suede Dionysus Tiger Crossbody BagBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a shiny pink suede Gucci crossbody, designed by Tom Ford. This bag is constructed primarily of pink suede but is finished wit...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Vintage 1999 Christian Dior by John Galliano Suede Lace Bias-Cut Gown and JacketBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Christian Dior laser-cut suede and chantilly lace bias-cut gown with matching jacket that cost well over $30,000 when new. Dior is probably the best known name in high fashion since the late 1940's. This stunning Christian Dior documented runway dress ensemble from John Galliano's iconic 1999 fall-winter collection is a perfect example of why this couture house has stood the test of time. John Galliano is widely considered one of the most innovative and influential fashion designers of the early twenty-first century. He mingled his references in often surprising juxtapositions to create extravagant yet intricately engineered and meticulously tailored clothes. This gown is everything you look for in Galliano era Dior! I love the high quality light brown laser-cut suede mixed with the delicate ivory white chantily-lace. Such a chic nod to 1930's design. The seductive low-cut plunge bodice has a lingerie vibe that I find irresistible. The flattering bias-cut shape flows into a stunning skirting flounce. This construction emphasizes a woman's seductive shape without adding any bulk or volume to the actual hips. The matching blazer is a statement piece in it's own right. Love those lean, long sleeves and nipped waist. This is the type of look you will reach for anytime you want to be noticed. A rare wearable piece of fashion history. Measurements Gown (marked a EU 40) Bust: 34-36 inches Waist: 26-28 inches Hips: up to 38 inches Total Length: 62 inches Jacket (marked a EU 36) Bust: 34-36 inches Waist: 28 inches Sleeve Length: 23 inches Total Length: 21 inches This 1999 documented runway Christian Dior by...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci by Tom Ford bleu monogram canvas and leather clutchBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Antwerp, BEI love this little clutch - chic, discreet, handy (it fits all the items we need on a dinner date) but still Gucci by Tom Ford. Made in a bleu marine monogram canvas and trimmed with...Category
- Christian Dior by John Galliano crimson torn silk bias cut dress, fw 2000By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior crimson red silk evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Torn effect ▪ Multiple fabric buttons at the side seam ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Straight across neckline...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR GALLIANO green washed denim leather trimmed dress FR36By Christian DiorLocated in Hong Kong, NTvintage CHRISTIAN DIOR GALLIANO green washed denim leather trimmed dress FR36 Reference: CC/VAHI00329 Brand: Christian Dior Designer: John Ga...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci Sukey Large Monogram GG Canvas Hand Bag Tote 211943 added insertBy GucciLocated in Freehold, NJPre-Owned 100% Authentic Gucci Large Sukey GG Monogram Canvas Tote W/Added Insert to help Organize and Keep Bag Upright and Non Gucci Chain RATING: B very good, well maintained, sh...Category
2010s Tote Bags
- Gucci Blue Monogram Reversible GG Blooms Print Small Tote BagBy GucciLocated in New York, NYGucci Blue Monogram Reversible GG Blooms Print Small Tote Bag. Features GG monogram blooms print, or blue leather. Missing luggage tag. Made In: Italy Co...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tote Bags
- 2000s Tom Ford by Gucci Large Multicolor Leather Shoulder BagBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in London, GB2000s Tom Ford by Gucci Large Multicolor Leather Shoulder Bag, Top zip closure, 2 front zipped pockets, white, black, brown leather, side zipped pockets, houndstooth print lining, in...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hobo Bags$7481 bidNo Reserve
- UNWORN Gucci Exotic Ostrich Skin XL Hobo Shoulder Bag with Horsebit DetailBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA rare and very special bag by GUCCI Made of precious ostrich skin A very limited edition - only very few pieces were produced of this gorgeous bag and exclusively sold in flagship boutiques...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hobo Bags
- Gucci Red Pebbled Calfskin Leather GG Soho Chain Tote BagBy GucciLocated in New York, NYGucci Red Pebbled Calfskin Leather Soho Chain Tote Bag. Made In: Italy Color: Red Hardware: Goldtone Materials: Leather, metal Lining: Beige textile Closure/Opening: Open top with ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tote Bags
- GUCCI Monogram Bamboo BagBy GucciLocated in Paris, FRThis GUCCI tote in brown monogram canvas comes from the Bambou collection. The outline of the bag is in brown leather. It is worn on the shoulder with its double leather handle. On t...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery