Hermes Kelly 35 Retourne Havane Gulliver Leather Bag w Rose Poudre Stitching
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: see description (NA)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Overall excellent with only very minimal wear - minor as shown in photos of corners - much more obvious in the photo than in person! We really try to show absolutely everything. there is a slight lax to the shape.
- Seller Location:Portland, OR
- Reference Number:Seller: 111001stDibs: LU223219406022
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Vintage Casadei Italy Pony Fur & Suede Shoes w Matching Shoulder Bag HandbagBy CasadeiLocated in Portland, ORThis is a gorgeous Casadei Italy shoe and handbag set that includes a pair of size 6B heels and a shoulder bag. The toffee suede pointed toe shoes have leather lacing topstitching an...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoes
- Marc Jacobs Handbag Bone Quilted Leather Zip Top Hobo Bag With Gold Chain StrapBy Marc JacobsLocated in Portland, ORThis Marc Jacobs bone quilted leather handbag has many of the designer's signature bag elements. The bag has a monogrammed zipper pull and monogrammed faux clasp hardware on the front of the bag. This variation on the hobo bag has a top zipper and a double chunky curb chain strap. Many variations of this bag were featured on the Marc Jacobs...Category
Early 2000s European Hobo Bags
- Loris Azzaro Paris Vintage Black Sequin Evening Bag W Fringe TasselsBy Loris Azzaro Paris, Loris AzzaroLocated in Portland, ORWe have always loved vintage Loris Azzaro pieces and this gorgeous evening bag is so incredible! The bag is in black and is covered with black sequins and embellished with luxurious ...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Salvatore Ferragamo Vintage Navy Blue Leather Shoulder Bag or Clutch HandbagBy Salvatore FerragamoLocated in Portland, ORThis is a lovely vintage navy blue leather Salvatore Ferragamo handbag with blue suede trim around the edges of the flap extending to the back and a removable, adjustable suede stra...Category
1980s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- 1980s Braccialini Deadstock Vintage Green Leather handbag w Dust Bag & TagLocated in Portland, ORThis is a gorgeous, supple green leather vintage Braccialini handbag with black patent leather on the double handles and fold over clasp. ...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Aquascutum Black Suede Quilted Crossbody Handbag with Gold Chain Link StrapBy AquascutumLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful vintage black suede quilted handbag from Aquascutum. This handbag has a long black strap that attaches on one side with a unique interlocking gold chain. This bag...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermes Vintage Ostrich Leather Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in Oakland, CAA vintage Hermes bag in ostrich. Very rare in this material and style. The color is a tan/caramel. The bag is in good vintage condition. This is a...Category
1980s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL 22 Mini Handbag Barbie Purple Gold Hardware Pre Fall 23BBy ChanelLocated in Delray Beach, FLThe New Chanel 22 Mini Hobo style bag As seen on Celebrities all around the world including K2 Pop star JENNIE, an icon whose fame whips up crowds and stirs ...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermes Nata Mini Della Cavalleria Epsom Crossbody Bag 2023By HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLNewly Created Hermes Della Cavalleria Mini Bag Brand new, 2023 B stamp If you love the Constance bag you will love this one too Elegant and inspiring , with the sophistication of a h...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermès Evelyne 16 TPM Rose Texas Bag AMAZONE Limited Edition StrapBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHermes Evelyne Tpm 16 About the Hermes Evelyne TPM Hermes Evelyne TPM (or Evelyne Mini) is a smaller version of the Hermes Evelyne bag, which is a popular crossbody style shoulder ba...Category
2010s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermes Constance 18 Mini Rouge de Coeur w MirrorBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHERMES CONSTANCE BAG Size 18cm The mini size, the most popular size Rouge De Coeur Chevre Mysore leather Chevre leather, one of the most durable lea...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Constance 18 Mini Jaune Bourgeon Yellow Chèvre PalladiumBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHERMES CONSTANCE BAG Size 18cm The mini size, the most popular size Jaune Bourgeon Pretty new color A yellow with green undertones Because Chevre leather is one of the most durable leathers, it is highly sought after by collectors ABOUT THE CONSTANCE BAG: The Hermes Constance 18 handbag is a small luxury shoulder bag from the French fashion house, Hermes. It is named after the daughter of the company's founder, Hermes Dumas. The Constance bag is known for its sleek and sophisticated design, featuring a long shoulder strap and a signature "H" buckle closure. The Hermes Constance 18 handbag is smaller than the regular Constance bag, with dimensions of approximately 7.5 inches (length) x 6 inches (height) x 2.25 inches (depth). The Constance 18 is a highly sought-after bag due to its size, versatility, and timeless design. It is often seen on the arms of celebrities and fashion influencers, and its value has continued to increase over the years, making it a popular investment piece for collectors. Collection: U Hermes engraved on Hardware buckle H Palladium Hardware Brand new, never used Plastic on the Hardware Store fresh Comes ready for gift giving...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView All
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery