LOUIS VUITTON Damier Azur Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Hampstead PM
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 9.45 in (24 cm)Width: 11.42 in (29 cm)Depth: 7.09 in (18 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Bishop's Stortford, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: CB7811stDibs: LU170217349602
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- HERMÈS Bleu de Prusse Swift Leather Lakis Kelly 35cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Bleu de Prusse Swift Leather Lakis Kelly 35cm Serial Number: [M] Age (Circa): 2009 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box, Shoulder Strap, Padlock, Keys, Clochette, Care Bookle...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags$33,577Free Shipping
- Hermès Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 20cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 20cm BRAND Hermès MODEL Kelly 20cm AGE 1993 GENDER Women's MATERIAL(S) Box Calf Leather COLOUR Black HARDWARE G...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$44,919Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON x Fornasetti Onthego GMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON x Fornasetti Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Black Calfskin Leather Onthego GM Xupes Reference: HB5167 Serial Number: X Age (Circa): 2022 Accompanied By: Dust Bag, Box,...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags$6,086Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Red Monogram Canvas and Burgundy Calfskin Leather Mini Lin SpeedyBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Red Monogram Canvas and Burgundy Calfskin Leather Mini Lin Speedy 30cm Bandoulière Serial Number: MB5009 Age (Circa): 2009 Accompanied By: Shoulder Strap Authenticity...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags$1,536Free Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Violet Vernis Leather & Vachetta Leather Roxbury DriveBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire"LOUIS VUITTON Violet Vernis Leather & Vachetta Leather Roxbury Drive Serial Number: SR4087 Age (Circa): 2007 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Ladies Type: Top Handle, Shoulder Colour: Violet Hardware: Gold Material(s): Vernis Leather, Vachetta Leather Interior: Purple Textile...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags$985Free Shipping
- HERMÈS Etoupe Togo Leather Kelly 40cm RetourneBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Etoupe Togo Leather Kelly 40cm Retourne Serial Number: C Age (Circa): 2018 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Padlock, Keys, Clochette, Shoulder Strap...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags$15,506Free Shipping
- Vintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder BagBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder Bag Measurements: Bag Height: 5.90 inches (15 cm) without the top handle Total...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- RARE Gucci by Tom Ford SS 1996 White Shearling Fur Bamboo Bag seen on Kate MossBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD SS 1996 GUCCI FUR BAG SEEN ON KATE MOSS FEATURED ON BOTH GUCCI'S RUNWAY SHOW SS 1996 AND IN GUCCI'S AD CAMPAIGN Ve...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,995 Sale Price33% Off
- RARE Gucci by Tom Ford SS 1996 Black Shearling Fur Bamboo Bag seen on Kate MossBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD SS 1996 GUCCI FUR BAG SEEN ON KATE MOSS FEATURED ON BOTH GUCCI'S RUNWAY SHOW SS 1996 AND IN GUCCI'S AD CAMPAIGN Ve...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,199 Sale Price51% Off
- RARE Louis Vuitton Exotic Alligator Ostrich Monogram Canvas Ombre Top Handle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Switzerland, CHAn extremely rare Louis Vuitton piece A works of art with an extremely limited run Ultra-rare bag crafted in exotic Bordeaux alligator skin, mustard colored snakeskin and light brow...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$7,996 Sale Price20% Off
- Hermes Kelly Kellywood 22 Wood Kelly Barenia Leather Limited EditionBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an exquisite limited edition Hermes Kellywood "Kelly Wood" 22 bag featured in bog oak and Barenia leather. Not since the Sterling Ke...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Prada Black Leather Metal Top Handle Bar 2 in 1 Clutch Shoulder BagBy PradaLocated in Chicago, ILPrada Black Leather Silver Metal Top Handle Bar 2 in 1 Clutch Shoulder Bag Leather Silver tone hardware Removable shoulder strap Woven lin...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags$2,180 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery