Louis Vuitton Flandrin Handbag Monogram Canvas and Leather Satchel Like New
About the Item
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: LVN red and monogram Code FL 4156. JRRR1stDibs: LU1814218826632
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- LOUIS VUITTON Limited Edition Blanc Monogram Sabbia Besace BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYThis is an authentic, pre-owned LOUIS VUITTON The vintage-inspired Cruise 2011 Monogram Sabbia bags are made from cotton based jacquard fabric that underwent a subtle coloration pro...Category
2010s Unknown Shoulder Bags
- Pre-Loved Celine Yellow Beige Canvas Coated PVC Plastic Macadam Tote BagBy CelineLocated in New York, NYCeline Yellow Beige Canvas Coated PVC Plastic Macadam Tote Bag Bag is in Excellent condition Inside is Beige canvas , Very Clean , Zippered Hanging pocket with slip pockets. Measu...Category
2010s Chinese Tote Bags
- Louis Vuitton Melie Navy Leather Empreinte Hobo Bag , Monogram Leather, In BoxBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton Melie Navy Leather Empreinte Hobo Bag ,Monogram Leather in super excellent condition, will come in a orange Louis Vuitton Box Very eye catching LV Mélie Monogram Empr...Category
2010s American Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM Shoulder Bag Canvas Purse ExcellentBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM Shoulder Bag Canvas Purse in excellent condition Gently used Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM in Damier Ebene Featuring a tonal leather trim and R...Category
2010s American Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton White Leather Empreinte Large Hobo Bag Monogram Leather ExcellentBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton White Leather Empreinte Large Hobo Bag ,Monogram Leather, in super excellent condition, almost like new Width (inch) : 16.5 inch(approx) Width (cm) : 42 cm(approx) He...Category
2010s Unknown Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM Shoulder Bag Canvas Purse. VI 1015By Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM Shoulder Bag Canvas Purse. Gently used Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM in Damier Ebene Featuring a tonal leather trim Bag is in very good condit...Category
2010s Spanish Shoulder Bags
- NEW Exotic FENDI Cream Selleria Leather Shoulder Bag XL SizeBy FendiLocated in Switzerland, CHRare FENDI shoulder bag made in the famous Fendi Selleria leather with rare exotic snakeskin trimmings Details: Made of Ivory Roman leather Exoti...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,499 Sale Price49% Off
- HERMES Cognac Tan Brown Ostrich Exotic Muzo Evening Carryall Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2001 Collection Ostrich Leather Lining Measures 12.5" W x 9.75" H x 6.25" D Strap Drop 10.5" Includes Dust Bag 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEWFOU...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Tote Bags$5,540 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES NEW Blue Teal Beige Canvas Trim H Cabas Shoulder Top Handle Tote BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILNew Condition From 2021 Collection Ecru Beige Toile Swift Leather Trim Handle Drop 4" Shoulder Strap Drop 14" Measures 9.5" W x 9.75" H x 3.5" D Includes Shoulder Strap, Dust Bag a...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tote Bags$7,940 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL Black Lambskin Leather Gold Large Shopper Carryall Shoulder Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1997 Collection Lambskin Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 12.25" W x 9.75" H x 2.5" D Shoulder Strap Drop 10" Includes Dust Bag 10...Category
Late 20th Century Tote Bags$7,460 Sale Price20% Off
- CHANEL CC Black Caviar Quilted Gold Hardware Chain Carryall Shopper Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Caviar Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 11.5" W x 11.5" H x 3" D Shoulder Strap Drop 8.5" 100% Authenticity Guarant...Category
Late 20th Century Tote Bags$7,700 Sale Price20% Off
- Chanel Clear Gold Leather Trim Evening Shoulder Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILChanel Clear Gold Leather Trim Evening Shoulder Flap Bag PVC Leather Gold tone hardware Date code present Made in France Shoulder strap dro...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags$7,140 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery