- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Versace Fendace Fendi Gold White Leather Baguette Shoulder Bag
About the Item
- Style:Monogram (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:PUTNEY, AU
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3082219311352
Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Versace evening dresses, handbags, day dresses, accessories and more on 1stDibs.
Like other major European luxury fashion houses, Fendi started small. Adele Casagrande was an Italian creative who loved fashion and sold leather and fur accessories from a tiny workshop she opened in Rome in 1918. However, after marrying Edoardo Fendi in 1925, her business model was altered dramatically. Together, the couple changed the boutique’s name to Fendi and moved into a bigger storefront, which quickly became the favorite shop of women all over Italy’s capital city for furs and leathers, such as handbags, coats and accessories.
As time moved on for Adele and Edoardo, the couple began to share more responsibility to their five daughters, who assumed management of the company during the 1950s. Fendi’s audience broadened and its profitability has soared over the years, owing to the brand’s fresh perspective on fashion world happenings and innovative sensibility. The maison also has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship. The Selleria bags were the work of master saddlers in Rome, and Fendi partnered with lace artisans in southern Italy as well as craftsmen in the east trained in the intrecciato (intertwined) technique (an idea that Adele introduced during the 1940s), which, in Fendi’s case, sees an interwoven leather fabric integrated in the creation of its handbags, countering leather’s traditional rigidity with a bag that is soft, versatile and fitted with an alluring slouchy curve.
It wasn’t until 1965, however, when a young German designer named Karl Lagerfeld took the creative helm that Fendi became a world-renowned fashion house. In fact, Lagerfeld, who produced four to five collections yearly for the brand, is credited with creating Fendi’s instantly recognizable double-F logo (which stands for “Fun Furs”) in “less than five seconds.” Until Lagerfeld started designing for the brand, fur was a material mostly associated with heavy coats that few people actually wore. Lagerfeld reimagined fur in creative ways, using it as an accent on purses, cuffs on dress sleeves and collars on wool coats.
Over the ensuing years, Fendi has broken into the home-goods market with Fendi Casa and has become synonymous with luxury fashion, producing such pieces as the iconic Baguette, which was rendered ever popular on the television series Sex and the City. In fact, an entire episode during the third season was dedicated to the “original It bag,” a slim accessory tapered in a manner that recalls its namesake, designed in 1997 by Adele and Edoardo’s granddaughter Silvia Venturini Fendi, who was named creative director of accessories three years earlier.
Perhaps just as well known as its vintage Baguette handbags and creative use of fur is the brand’s devotion to its Italian roots. In 2013, Fendi donated more than 2 million euros to restore Rome’s Trevi Fountain, and when it was reopened to visitors, Fendi hosted its Autumn/Winter 2017 show on top of the landmark.
Fendi was a family-controlled brand until 1999 and is now owned by LVMH. In late 2020, British fashion designer Kim Jones was named the house’s artistic director for womens wear.
Find a wide variety of vintage Fendi handbags and purses, clothing and other accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: PUTNEY, Australia
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Fendace Versace Fendi Gold Chain Straps ZuccaBy Donatella Versace, FendiLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Fence Straps Matches any handbagsCategory
2010s European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Versace Greca Logo Monogram Tote Bag with Envelope Clutch Brown UnisexBy VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Versace Greca Tote. Feature Material: Leather Color: Brown Condition: Brand New Period: 2021 Size: 31cmX 25cm Place of Origin: ItalyCategory
2010s European Bucket Bags and Drawstring Bags
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Cadillac Montaigne Saddle BagBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in PUTNEY, NSWExtremely rare, limited edition Christian Dior Cadillac Saddle by John Galliano. This bag features Dior Cadillac collection texture leather, reflective p...Category
Early 2000s European Structured Shoulder Bags$3,516 Sale Price20% Off
- Versace Safety Pin Gold White Sling Unisex Runway BagBy VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Versace Sling Bag Feature Material: Leather Color: White Condition: Brand New Period: 2020 Place of Origin: ItalyCategory
2010s European Bucket Bags and Drawstring Bags
- 1990's GIANNI VERSACE CROC SUNBURST Women's Brown Patent CLUTCH BagBy Gianni VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Gianni Versace croc clutch, featuring sunburst hardware, brown pattern croc leather. comes with many card slots and seperate department for not...Category
1990s European Clutches
- Fendace Gold Medusa Bling Mesh Mini Fendi Versace FF Zucca Baguette Bag ChainBy Fendi, VersaceLocated in PUTNEY, NSWCollector's Versace X Fendi Bag as seen countless celebrities. Brand new with dust bag, full set with tags, Feature Material: Mesh, Metal Color: Gold Condition: Brand New Period: 20...Category
2010s European Clutches
- Moschino Milk Carton Leather Shoulder BagBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino milk carton leather shoulder bag Museum quality Moschino milk carton bag made of leather. Bends in Leather handle strap from improper storage...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Moschino Redwall Vintage Roma Amor Red Bag PurseBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino redwall vintage roma amor red bag purse New and never used vintage Moschino bag by Redwall from 1994 and featured in the Moschino ? Book from 2001 ...Category
1990s Shoulder Bags
- Vintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder BagBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder Bag Measurements: Bag Height: 5.90 inches (15 cm) without the top handle Total...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Black Passementerie Hand BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Black Passementerie Hand Bag Measurements: Height: 6.89 inches (17.5 cm) without the handles Width: 8.66 inches (22 cm) Depth: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Han...Category
20th Century French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Vintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder BagBy Pierre CardinLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 5 7/8 inches Width: 7 4/8 inches Depth: 1 inch Strap: 39 4/8 inches Fe...Category
1970s French Shoulder Bags
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White Bag Measurements: Height: 6 2/8 inches Width: 10 6/8 inches Depth: 1 6/8 inches Removable Strap: 59 inches (adjustable) Features: - 100% Authentic KARL LAGERFELD. - White flap clutch/ shoulder bag with embossed fan allover. - Large fan with KARL LAGERFELD logo on the flap. - Removable shoulder strap. - Inside has gold metal fan plate...Category
20th Century French Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery