Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Iconic Fan Rubber White Bag
About the Item
More than a mere tastemaker, Karl Lagerfeld devoted himself to the continual pursuit of chic. “My life and my job,” the designer once said, “is to forget myself.” During his five-decade career designing shoes, handbags, evening dresses and other items for Chanel, Fendi, Chloé and many others, Lagerfeld was a quintessential chameleon, ever evolving to embody the times.
An outsize, instantly recognizable personality — his ponytail powdered like an 18th-century viscount, his eyes perpetually shielded by dark glasses, wearing fistfuls of chunky silver jewels — Lagerfeld was, above all, an avatar of style.
Born in Hamburg (in 1933, ’35, or ’38 by varying accounts), Karl Lagerfeld packed his bags for Paris in 1954. His design for a coat won him the International Wool Secretariat and landed him a job with the celebrated couturier Pierre Balmain. He went on to become the designer of Jean Patou, eventually realizing that his seemingly endless ideas could fuel a career as a designer-for-hire. As such, Lagerfeld lent his vision to everyone from Loewe and Max Mara to Krizia and Charles Jourdan, nimbly moving among a diverse range of styles. It was an unprecedented way of working in the days when freelance was still a dirty word. During the late ’60s and ’70s, he refashioned Chloé to reflect the free spirit of the day and, beginning in 1965, joined forces with the Fendi family, taking it from sleepy furrier to fashion’s haute-est stratum.
Because of his track record for reviving and reimagining brands that had grown stagnant, in 1984 Lagerfeld was handed the reins at Chanel, which had been gathering dust since its founder’s heyday. From his first collection, Lagerfeld injected the venerable house with a frisson of modernity. He riffed on its iconography — tweed skirt suits, pearls, camellias — accenting a lexicon of Chanel-isms with tastes of the moment. Despite producing eight collections a year for Chanel, as well as four to five for Fendi, Lagerfeld never faltered in proposing new ideas each time he put pencil to paper.
Lagerfeld’s collections for Chanel, in particular, displayed his knack for synthesizing old and new, high and low. From Watteau (Spring/Summer 1985 couture) and Serge Roche (Spring/Summer 1990 ready-to-wear) to hip-hop fly girls (Fall/Winter 1991 ready-to-wear), surfers (Spring/Summer 2003 ready-to-wear) and ancient Egypt (Pre-Fall 2019), Lagerfeld used each season’s inspiration to conceive Chanel’s signatures anew.
Browse a collection of sophisticated designs by Karl Lagerfeld on 1stDibs, including evening gowns for Chanel, vintage cocktail dresses for Chloé and more.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 5.31 inches (13.5 cm) Width: 7.67 inches (19.5 cm) Tassel: 11.81 inches (30 cm) S...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage 1960s KORET ITALY Gold Woven Large Clutch BagBy KoretLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1960s KORET ITALY Gold Woven Large Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 9.84 inches (25 cm) Width: 11.41 inches (29 cm) Button: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic KORET ITALY. - Large gold braided and woven straw clutch bag...Category
1960s Italian Clutches
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Rose Print Silk Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Rose Print Silk Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 6.69 inches (17 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Tassel: 7.08 inches...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder BagBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder Bag Measurements: Bag Height: 5.90 inches (15 cm) without the top handle Total...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Black Passementerie Hand BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Black Passementerie Hand Bag Measurements: Height: 6.89 inches (17.5 cm) without the handles Width: 8.66 inches (22 cm) Depth: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Han...Category
20th Century French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Vintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder BagBy Pierre CardinLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 5 7/8 inches Width: 7 4/8 inches Depth: 1 inch Strap: 39 4/8 inches Fe...Category
1970s French Shoulder Bags
- Saks Fifth Avenue Italian Tortoise Shell Lucite Handbag c 1970sBy Saks Fifth AvenueLocated in University City, MOSAKS FIFTH AVENUE Italian tortoise shell lucite versatile handbag c 1970s The sleek brown lucite handbag converts from a chic clutch; transitions into a stylish hardshell shoulder b...Category
1970s Italian Clutches
- Fendi By The Way Mini Embellished Leather Cross-body BagBy FendiLocated in Krakow, PLFendi calfskin satchel with silvertone hardware. Crystal "tail" zip closure extends down one side. Tote handles with studs; 2" drop. Detachable shoulder strap; Hanging covered ke...Category
2010s Shoulder Bags
- Rare Carlos Falchi Multi-Skins Multi-Color Large Shoulder Bag & ClutchBy Carlos FalchiLocated in New York, NYThis wonderfully rare Carlos Falchi large shoulder bag with the option to wear use as a clutch is combined with multi-skins of snakeskin, lizard skin and pylon skins as well ...Category
1980s American Shoulder Bags
- Charles Jourdan gray silk with metallic silver shoulder bagBy Charles JourdanLocated in New York, NYCharles Jourdan gray silk with metallic leather in steel gray silver has the option of tucking the straps inside and making it into a clutch for evening...Category
- 1970s Louise Fontaine Green Crocodile Clutch / Shoulder BagLocated in London, GBA rare early 1970s Louise Fontaine hunter-green porosus crocodile clutch/shoulder bag, comprising of one compartment with one gusseted zipper pocket, f...Category
20th Century Belgian Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery