- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior Limited Edition Ostrich Olive Green Bowler Bag
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 9.5 in (24.13 cm)Depth: 5.5 in (13.97 cm)Length: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Gently pre owned with light scuffs to corners and exterior,.
- Seller Location:Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2311213515332
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Pablo Picasso Vintage Bi Color Kelly Flap BagBy Pablo PicassoLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe Vintage Kelly Flap style bag from Pablo Picassi is one of the famed luxury goods house's most coveted and exclusive items. This flap bag is made of black and green leather. Black...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags$625Free Shipping
- NEW LOUIS VUITTON Rare Fuchsia Runway Cartoon Art Firebird Limited Edition BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe extremely rare LOUIS VUITTON Fuchsia Cartoon Firebird, the most luxurious of them all. One of a kind and only a few were released Worldwide in 2008! Cartoon Limited Collection ba...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags$11,950Free Shipping
- Judith Leiber Rare Vintage Alligator Kelly Flap BagBy Judith LeiberLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe Vintage Kelly Flap style Alligator bag from Judith Leiber is one of the famed luxury goods house's most coveted and exclusive items. This flap bag is bathed glazed black glossy a...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags$4,875 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- New Hermès Accessories and Shoe Kit Leather Case TrunkBy HermèsLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe Limited edition Hermès shoe kit case, from the grand opening of the men’s store on Madison Ave is finely crafted in box leather. It incorporates a classic gentleman's office or b...Category
Early 2000s French Novelty Bags$1,495Free Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Rare Vintage Cigar Boite Trunk Humidor Travel LuggageBy Louis VuittonLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe special order trunk takes timeless creation to a new level of sophistication and charm. Made from the finest materials that you would expect from the Louis Vuitton House. When no...Category
1990s French Suitcases and Trunks$9,950 Sale Price43% OffFree Shipping
- Gucci Vintage Rare GG Monogram Suitcase Travel LuggageBy GucciLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe classic stylish Gucci luggage is crafted of signature GG monogram on canvas. Extremely rare vintage luggage from the 1970's. The bag features leather trim, rolled leather top han...Category
1970s Italian Suitcases and Trunks$1,450Free Shipping
- Dior by John Galliano Spring 2003 Punk Swarovski Sunglasses in ClearBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZClear framed Dior Punk Swarovski Limited Edition sunglasses. Excellent vintage condition, come in the original Dior case.Category
Early 2000s Sunglasses
- A/W 2001 Christian Dior '1947 Montaigne' HandbagBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 2001 Christian Dior by Galliano red and black '1947 Montaigne' car motif leather handbag. As seen in the ad campaign, and on robot influencer Lil Miquela via Tab Vintage. Additi...Category
Early 2000s Top Handle Bags
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the Cit...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Dior Vintage Pink Trotter Bowler PVC Bag 2004By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Montreal, QuebecThis Dior pink Trotter bowler bag features an exterior of Dior monogram Canvas, transparent PVC, leather finishes, dual large looping handles, top zip closure and gold tone hardware....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- FENDI White Iridescent Embellished Satin & Calfskin Leather Vintage BaguetteBy FendiLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireFENDI White Iridescent Embellished Satin & Calfskin Leather Vintage Baguette Serial Number: 83157170992 Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Fendi Dust Bag Authenticity Details: Date S...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$2,210Free Shipping
- Christian Dior Red and Black Crocodile BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Athens, GAChristian Dior Red and Black Crocodile Bag. Mint like new condition. Rare and stunning exotic crocodile bag. Silver hardware. Collector's piece. Includes clochette, card, and dust ba...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$11,960 Sale Price53% Off
- Christian Dior Crocodile BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Athens, GAChristian Dior Crocodile Bag. Red and black exotic crocodile. Rare bag in mint like new condition. Silver hardware. Beautiful unique bag. Investment bag. Includes authenticity card, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$24,800 Sale Price22% Off
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Burgundy Canvas Logo Leather Trim Gold Shoulder Saddle BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2002 Collection Canvas Leather Trim Gold Tone Hardware Woven Lining Measures 10" W x 7.5" H x 2.75" D Handle Drop 6.75" 100% Authenticity Guaranteed ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags$5,540 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior Monogramme Oblique Mini Barrel BagBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYCharming vintage Christian Dior Monogramme Oblique Mini Barrel Bag in signature brown Trotter textile with top zip and brown calf leather trim, leather handles and leather lining. 19...Category
1980s French Top Handle Bags
- Christian Dior Basket Bag Wicker and Oblique Canvas LargeBy Christian DiorLocated in NY, NYCondition: Good. Minor wear in interior, scratches on hardware. Accessories: Dust Bag Measurements: Handle Drop 3.5", Height 8", Width 11.5", Depth 4.5" Designer: Christian Dior Mode...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags
- Dior Rare Brown Monogram Trotter Boston Bag 863175By Christian DiorLocated in Dix hills, NYVERY GOOD VINTAGE CONDITION (7.5/10 or B+) (Outside) Minor rubs (Inside) Minor rub marks Width (inch) : 11.8 inch(approx) Width (cm) : 30 cm(approx) Height (inch) : 8.26 inch(ap...Category
20th Century Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery