Gucci Black Satin Top Handle Kelly Evening Top Handle Bag
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gucci Black Satin Top Handle Kelly Evening Top Handle Bag
About the Designer
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- CHANEL Black Crocodile Exotic Kelly Gold Evening Top Handle Tote BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1999 Collection Crocodile Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 11.5" W x 8.25" H x 4" D Handle Drop 3" Includes Authenticity Card and ...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$27,140 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- CHANEL Black Lambskin Quilted Leather Micro Mini Kelly Top Handle Party Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1994 Collection Lambskin Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 5.5" W x 4.75" H x 2.5" D Handle Drop 3.5" 100% Authenticity Guaranteed ...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$11,940 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- HERMES Kelly Sellier 20 Black Leather Gold Small Mini Evening Top Handle BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1991 Collection Box Leather Gold Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 8.5" W x 5.5" H x 3.5" D Handle Drop 3" Shoulder Strap Drop 16" 100% Authenti...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$41,940 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- CHANEL Brown Chocolate Brown Velvet Gold Small Mini Evening Wristlet BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1996 Collection Velvet Gold Tone Hardware Measures 6" W x 5.5" H x 3" D Handle Drop 7" Includes Authenticity Card, Dust Bag and Box 100% Authentic...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$8,580 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES Kelly 20 Black Box Calfskin Gold Small Mini Top Handle Satchel BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1991 Collection Box Calfskin Leather Gold Tone Hardware Handle Drop 3: Measures 8" W x 5.5" H x 3.5" D Handle Drop 3" 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$41,700 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Chanel Black Satin Lace Gold Small Mini Top Handle Satchel Kelly Style Bag W/BoxBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILSatin Lace Gold tone hardware Satin lining Handle drop 6" Measures 8" W x 6.75" H x 3" D Includes authenticity card, dust bag and box 100% authenticity guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
Late 20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières$15,996 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- GUCCI red Bamboo handle black smooth leather structured shoulder bagBy GucciLocated in Hong Kong, NTGUCCI red Bamboo handle black smooth leather structured shoulder bag Reference: TGAS/B01368 Brand: Gucci Model: Red bamboo bag Material: Leather Color: Black Pattern: Solid Closure: ...Category
2010s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- 2000s Gucci by Tom Ford Black Satin Hoop Mini WristletBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a simple and elegant black satin hoop Gucci wristlet, designed by Tom Ford. This bag, from the 2000s, is the perfect mini bag for a night out or event. The bag'...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pouches and Wristlets
- Louis Vuitton Vanilla Epi Nocturne GM Bag, Compact Wallet and Make Up Bag SetBy Louis VuittonLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLThe ultimate in handbag making luxury craftsmanship. The Iconic House of Louis Vuitton always provides us with timeless and classic pieces. This beautiful bag takes timeless creation...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags$2,280 Sale Price20% Off
- Loris Azzaro Lurex Crochet Evening BagBy Loris AzzaroLocated in Geneva, CHRare 70’s Loris Azzaro evening shoulder bag. Crafted in the same way as his famous Lurex knit crochet tops, the bag is in turquoise and silver colors and trimmed with tree rows of ma...Category
1970s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel Classic shoulder bag in grey Python leather, silver hardwareBy ChanelLocated in Paris, IDFLovely Chanel Classic shoulder bag in grey python, silver metal hardware, silver metal chain intertwined with grey leather for a hand or shoulder. Top closure by press button. Interi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Structured Shoulder Bags
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Mini Satin Square G Logo Asymmetric BagBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a rare silk-satin asymmetric mini bag designed by Tom Ford for the Fall/Winter 1997 Gucci collection. The gold-toned G-lock hardware is featured in the F/W 1997...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- S/S 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford G Buckle Black Satin Box Mini BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black nylon Gucci evening bag, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 1998 collection, this structured box bag features a clam closure and is made compl...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Late 1990s Gucci By Tom Ford Red Patent Leather Silver Bamboo Handle BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a bright red patent leather Gucci bag with a silver bamboo handle, designed by Tom Ford. From the late 1990s, likely 1995, this mini Gucci bag is reminiscent of...Category
1990s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel Dark Brown Suede Gripoix Jewels Evening BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Dark Brown Suede Gripoix Jewels Evening Bag is in mint condition. A very rare piece featuring an iconic Chanel Gripoix flower design that is a must have for any...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 2/8 inches (top of heart to bottom) Width: 7 5/8 inches Depth: 3 6/8 inches Handle: 21 inches ...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly Bag Measurements: Height: 11 inches (including handle) Height: 7 inches (without the handle) Width: 9 inches Depth: 2 6/8 inches Features: - ...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery