- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Chanel "Coco" Lady Shopper Tote Handbag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About Chanel (Manufacturer)
The first Chanel shop was opened in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, her designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz. Over the next six decades, Coco Chanel would become a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls.
However, Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a collarless jacket and fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel evening dresses, jackets and more at 1stDibs.
- By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis canvas tote features some of Chanel's most iconic symbols, including a Chanel jacket, classic flap bag, a b...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Handbags and Purses$1,750 Sale Price20% Off
- By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CA1993 Chanel black silk chiffon triple layered flared maxi skirt w/gold tone CC logo button at waist and side zip...Category
1990s Flare SkirtsL 40 in.$450 Sale Price35% Off
- By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CA1998-1999 A/H Chanel black cotton jersey evening gown with rhinestone straps off sweetheart neckline that circle...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CA1980's Chanel black short-sleeved mini dress comprised of a medium weight silk fitted upper bodice, a horizontal...Category
1980s Mini DressL 35 in.$1,400
- By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CA2004A Chanel silk chiffon two-tone black and cream dropped waist gown with double-layered skirt and high-low hem...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
- By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAChanel black faux fur vest dotted with black shiny hanging beads, hook and eye closure and decorative black meta...Category
Early 2000s VestsSize: 42$1,400
You May Also Like
2010s Tote Bags
Early 2000s Tote Bags
2010s Hobo Bags
2010s Tote Bags
Early 2000s Backpacks
1980s Tote Bags
Early 2000s Structured Shoulder Bags
Early 2000s Tote Bags
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery