- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior by John Galliano Saddle Belt Bag, Spring-Summer 2002
- DimensionsHeight: 4.5 in (11.43 cm)Width: 6.9 in (17.53 cm)Depth: 0.2 in (5.08 cm)Length: 44 in (111.76 cm)Marked Size: EU 95 / US 12 / UK 16 (EU)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. The waist-pouch belt is in good pre-owned condition. Fingernail scratches and tiny bruises here and there.
- Seller LocationGeneva, CH
- Reference NumberSeller: 1DJD06631stDibs: LU56010187982
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Geneva, Switzerland
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- Christian Dior By John Galliano Strass Pave Snap Hook Belt, Spring-Summer 2003By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Geneva, CHFrom the Spring 2003 ready-to-wear collection, this Christian Dior belt will instantly make a simple "Little Black Dress" or sleek suit feel more "bling" and glamorous. Made from bla...Category
Early 2000s Belts
- Unworn Christian Dior By John Galliano "Diorissimo" One-Piece Swimsuit, SS2002By John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Geneva, CHFrom the SS2002 "Street Chic" collection, this never worn Dior one-piece swimsuit features the house's iconic "Dior Oblique" logo, which makes a subtle statement on its own. Made in ...Category
Early 2000s French Swimwear
- Christian Dior By John Galliano "I love Dior" Keyring CharmBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Geneva, CHFrom the iconic Christian Dior John Galliano years, this new/never used silver-tone metal "I love Dior" keyring could be a cute way to say "I love you" to a loved one... Of course, w...Category
Early 2000s French Other
- Christian Dior By John Galliano Zip-Detailed Cropped Jacket, Spring-Summer 2001By John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Geneva, CHFrom the iconic John Galliano years for Christian Dior, this SS2001 Dior jacket is exposing multiple zippers. The one around the waist and another one around the collar allows you to...Category
Early 2000s French Cropped Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent Metal Chain BeltBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Geneva, CHThis weighty 70’s YSL gunmetal-tone belt is crafted from interlocking metallic chain links, some of which feature a delicate motif (see pictures 5 & 6). The end of the belt is embell...Category
1970s French Belts
- Unusual Chanel By Karl Lagerfeld Goldtone Double Spriral Chain BeltBy Chanel, Karl LagerfeldLocated in Geneva, CHTimeless late 80s - early 90s Chanel double gold plated chain belt with iconic CC logo medallion. The belt fastens with a hook closure that allows adjustable lengths to a range of si...Category
1990s French Belts
You May Also Like
2010s Italian Belts
Early 2000s Italian Belts
Late 20th Century French Belt Bags
1980s Italian Belts
1990s French Belts
Late 20th Century Spanish Belts
20th Century Belts
21st Century and Contemporary German Belts
2010s Italian Belts
1990s French Belts
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery