Louis Vuitton Vintage Brown Monogram Canvas Zip Compact Wallet
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 4.5 in (11.43 cm)Width: 4 in (10.16 cm)Depth: 1 in (2.54 cm)Marked Size: S (EU)
- Style:Sarah Wallet (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Canvas
- Condition:Some scratches and wear of use on leather inside. Please check the photos carefully and ask if you need to know more details or if you have any doubts.
- Seller Location:Rome, IT
- Reference Number:Seller: NX33361713AST0XX1stDibs: LU232219177192
The story behind iconic luxury brand Louis Vuitton — best known for its esteemed handbags, crossbody bags, leather goods, ready-to-wear clothing and more — is one of craft and innovation in the worlds of fashion, jewelry and furniture.
The company’s modest origins can be traced back to when its founder, Louis Vuitton (1821–92), wishing to free himself from the conventional lifestyle in his provincial French city of Anchay as well as a difficult stepmother, left in the early 1830s to make a new life in Paris. The young Vuitton was 13 at the time and would need to travel on foot to get to the capital, which was hundreds of miles away. With stops along the way to make money so that he could forge ahead, the journey took a couple of years, but reward was close at hand.
When he arrived in Paris, Vuitton made a living with his hands. He toiled as a box maker and packer for more than a decade and built relationships with royals and members of the upper class while working for the empress of France, Eugenie de Montijo. In 1854, Vuitton launched his namesake company. The craftsman opened a humble workshop on rue Neuve des Capucines and advertised his services with a small poster that read: “Securely packs the most fragile objects. Specializing in packing fashions.”
Long before his brand would become known globally for its exemplary top-handle bags and stylish totes, Vuitton produced stackable and rectangular trunks. The most common trunks of the era were round, which weren’t ideal for toting and storing. In 1858, Vuitton debuted his lightweight, handcrafted canvas trunks, which were sturdy, rugged and equipped with convenient compartments. Travel’s popularity broadened in the late 19th century, and Vuitton’s trunks could easily be packed into train cars and ships — upright trunks meant hanging wardrobe storage that would allow his clients to transport their sophisticated garments without worry. Demand increased and the company grew. When Louis Vuitton died in 1892, control of the luxury house was passed onto his only son, Georges Vuitton.
In 1914, a Louis Vuitton store opened at 70 Champs-Élysées. The largest travel-goods store in the world at the time, it became the company’s flagship.
The Louis Vuitton brand embodies all the attributes of luxury, from the craftsmanship, exclusivity and relevance to heritage. It’s only appropriate that it boasts one of the most recognizable insignias — the imaginative interlocking of letters and fleurettes — in the fashion world. The famous LV monogram was first used in 1896 as part of an initiative by Georges to prevent counterfeiting of his coveted new line of travel trunks. It’s one of the earliest examples of fashion branding.
The LV monogram would soon appear on everything from bags and various fashion accessories to alligator-skin champagne cases, from stylish apparel and earrings to teddy bears and airplane models.
On 1stDibs, the unmistakable insignia can be found on both modern and vintage Louis Vuitton shoulder bags, suitcases, original 19th-century trunks, jackets and more.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Rome, Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Unbranded ANTIQUE CHINESE Embroidered Silk GLASSES CASE 19th Century POUCHLocated in Rome, Rome- Beautiful embroidered Chinese Eyeglasses case. - From the late 19th century (Qing/Ch'ing Dinasty) - Red Hand-dieyd Silk with lovely beaded embroidery on both sides - These charming decorative pouches were used as a sachet pouch and are also referred to as incense purses Condition: C :FAIR CONDITION - Some light wear of use - Some darkness on red silk, some faided parts on blue silk trim, an unstitched part alon the edge. Probably the case born with tassel details; they seem to have been cut Measurements (height x length x depth): 6 x 2 1/4 inches - 15,2 x 5,7 cm - Internal Ref: - HW_85BCBB05-CC - Shipping with DHL Express (Worlwide delivery: 3 to 5 days) - ANTIQUE CHINESE Embroidered Silk...Category
19th Century Wallets and Small Accessories
- Louis Vuitton Light brown Tan Taiga Leather ID Document HolderBy Louis VuittonLocated in Rome, RomeLouis Vuitton Light Brown Tan Taiga Leather Bifold ID Document Holder with 2 slots inside with platis windows. LV - LOUIS VUITTON monogram em...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Tech Accessories and Cases
- Hermes Vintage Travel Razor Shaving Set Brown Leather CaseBy HermèsLocated in Rome, RomeRare and hard to find vintage travel razor in case by Hermes - Paris. Possibly dating back to the 1940s. Two piece 'Wardonia - Sheffield' safety r...Category
1940s French Cosmetic Bags
- Gucci Vintage Monogram Canvas Jewelry Roll Holder Travel CaseBy GucciLocated in Rome, RomeNice vintage GUCCI Jewelry roll case crafted in soft black leather. Red leather on the inside. 2 zip pockets and 1 flap pocket. 1 ring and 1 necklace holder. Buckle closure. It will ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Pouches and Wristlets
- Chanel Vintage Black Canvas Old Travel Line Mini Zip PouchBy ChanelLocated in Rome, RomeChanel Black Nylon Old Travel Line mini pouch. Period/Era: Late 90s. Nylon canvas. Silver metal hardware. Red interior. 'CHANEL' tag , 'Made in France' tag and hologram tag inside D...Category
20th Century Italian Tech Accessories and Cases
- Louis Vuitton Black Taiga Leather Bifold Vertical Long Card WalletBy Louis VuittonLocated in Rome, RomeLouis Vuitton Black taiga Vertical Wallet. Black leather inside.4 side pockets and 16 credit card slots inside. Authenticity ...Category
2010s French Wallets
- Womens Designer CHLOE Darryl Coin PurseBy ChloéLocated in London, GBLovely Darryl wallet, purse from Chloe. Purchased and never used. Colour Black Material Leather Hardware Gold Condition As New Height / Width/ Depth 8cm / 13.5 cm Size Small Dustb...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets and Small AccessoriesUnavailable$252Free Shipping
- Designer GOYARD SENAT 2 MINI BlueBy GoyardLocated in London, GBGoyard Classic Mini Senat Pouch in blue coated canvas for sale. Detailed with Goyard's iconic Goyardine monogram and silver hardware. An unworn piece. Colour Blue Material Leather co...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets and Small AccessoriesUnavailable$696Free Shipping
- Mariano Fortuny Rare Black Stencilled Velvet Drawstring BagBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYFortunys stenciled velvet drawstring bags found a use for small pieces of his precious velvets, their sizes vary due to the dimensions of the cuts.They are exceedingly rare.
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Pouches and WristletsPrice Upon Request
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Logo Black Leather Key Holder WalletBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Logo Black Leather Key Holder Wallet Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 4.13 inches (10.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authe...Category
20th Century French Wallets
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Gold Logo Black Patent Leather Key Holder WalletBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Gold Logo Black Patent Leather Key Holder Wallet Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 4.13 inches (10.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic KARL LAGER...Category
20th Century French Wallets
- 2017 Hermès Celeste, Capucine & Ambre Epsom Leather Camail Key Holder CharmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Celeste, Capucine & Ambre Epsom Leather Camail Key Holder Charm Serial Number: A Age (Circa): 2017 Accompanied By: Hermès Box Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in Fran...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Wallets and Small Accessories$1,051Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Inside Louis Vuitton’s Most Popular Handbag Collaborations
The venerable brand has earned accolades (and gained new fans) for partnerships that meld fashion with art.
How to Spot a Fake Louis Vuitton
What are the telltale signs that you're holding a real Louis Vuitton and not a knockoff? We spoke with expert Diane D’Amato to find out. Of course, you don't have to worry about fakes on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery