Items Similar to Lao Cast Bronze Shakyamuni Buddha, 17th-18th Century View More
Lao Cast Bronze Shakyamuni Buddha, 17th-18th Century
A beautiful figure of the historical Buddha Shakyamuni seated in bhumisparsha, signifying the moment of the Buddha's enlightenment, Laos, 17th-18th century. Well cast and displaying a beautiful patina, the Buddha sits upon a separately cast high pedestal, legs folded in vajrasana, one hand held in his lap, the other draped gracefully over his knee, long fingers reaching down to touch the earth, calling it to witness his enlightenment. The Buddha's heart-shaped face is simply divine, with high, arched brows over downcast eyes, a broad nose, and full lips pursed in a benevolent and knowing smile. A later green "jewel" has been added to represent the urna. His sweet face is framed by long, pendulous earlobes that flare outwards, and a head of hair arranged in neat snail shell curls surmounted by a pronounced ushnisha and topped by a flame finial. The Buddha wears the traditional monastic robes wrapped around his slim figure, one shoulder exposed, a sash draped over his covered shoulder. The diaphanous material clinging to his body, accentuating his broad shoulders and narrow waist. The bronze with a stunning and complex patina.
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1700
- Materials and TechniquesCastBronze
- Condition DetailsThe finial and "jewel" both later. A black stain to the head and dripping down from the urna to the eyebrows, as seen in photos.
- WearWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- DimensionsH 36 in. x W 20 in. x D 13 in.H 91.44 cm x W 50.8 cm x D 33.02 cm
- Seller LocationAustin, TX
- Reference NumberLU894710959241
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2010
Located in Austin, TX
You may also contact the seller by phoneCall seller through 1stdibs
More From This Seller
Burmese Arakan Lacquered and Gilt Bronze Healin...
Antique Mid-18th Century Burmese Sculptures and Carvings
An unusual 18th century Burmese Arakan style red lacquered and richly gilt cast bronze figure of the Crowned Medicine Buddha, commonly referred to as Bhaishajyaguru. The Supreme Hea...
Monumental Burmese Ava Style Marble Head of the...
Antique Mid-17th Century Burmese Sculptures and Carvings
A large carved, lacquered and gilt Ava style marble head of the Buddha, Burma (now Myanmar), 17th century. Originally part of what must have been a monumental Buddha sculpture, this...
Chinese Gilt Bronze Amitabha Buddha, 20th Century
Late 20th Century Chinese Qing Sculptures and Carvings
Bronze, Gilt Metal
A heavy and finely cast gilt bronze image of the Buddha Amitabha. The Buddha of immeasurable light sits in vajrasana upon a double lotus pedestal, hands in dhayana mudra. He wears a ...
Burmese Ava Period Carved, Lacquered and Giltwo...
Antique Late 18th Century Burmese Sculptures and Carvings
A sublime and rare late 18th century Burmese Ava period carved, lacquered and gilt Buddha. The historical Buddha, Shakyamuni, is portrayed in bhumisparsha mudra, the gesture of calli...