Items Similar to Fine Late 19th Century Carved Coade Stone Fountain Head Mounted on Stand View More
Fine Late 19th Century Carved Coade Stone Fountain Head Mounted on Stand
This fine fountain head once formed part of a free standing grotto fountain and bowl or was wall mounted with the water dropping into a separate bowl. Displayed now on a wooden stand as an art object the piece has a large and dramatic sculptural appeal. The stone is a man made product designed to simulate limestone. Used in England throughout the 19th century the product would be pored in rough blocks and finished by hand carving with details. This object is carved as a Classical covered urn with two dolphins and foliage forming the sides. Water would have issued from the bronze piped mouths of the dolphins and down into a bowl . The grotto like icicles that form part of the decorative carving under the urns lid indicate is use and location. The piece has a nice old weathered surface and shows age and patina consistent with a late 19th century age
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureCirca 1870 - 1900
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsWhile still usable as a fountain head the piece would need to be removed from the base and the bronze internal piping refitted to a new water source
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 29 in. x W 17 in. x D 6.50 in.H 73.66 cm x W 43.18 cm x D 16.51 cm
- Seller LocationHudson, NY
- Reference Number14051681131131
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
About the Seller
4.6 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2005
Located in Hudson, NY
More From This Seller
A Fine and Rare Large Lapis Medicea Onyx Urn o...
Late 20th Century Italian Urns
This fine and very large coup or urn is made of a rare stone Lapis Medicea onyx. The form is based on the large decorative stone work found throughout the ancient world and then agai...
Late 19th century Carve Stone Cambodian Buddha
Antique 1890s Cambodian Other Sculptures
This sage green carved stone Buddha was purchased from an up state NY garden were it has resided for the last 120 years. The family began the house and garden in the late 1890s and ...
A 19th Century Nephrite Jade Carved Plaque on S...
Antique 19th Century Chinese Sculptures
This carved Nephrite Jade plaque of a mythical best has the attributes of a dragon and a fish leaping from the water. Carved we believe in the late 18th or early 19th century to be u...
Late 19th-Early 20th Century Carved Chinese Aga...
Antique 19th Century Chinese More Asian Art, Objects and Furniture
From the Estate of C.Z. Guest. This fine small washer carved from naturally banded agate in the form of a lotus leaf is carved top and bottom with natural details and to good effect ...