Items Similar to 17th Century Louis XIV Large Giltwood Frame View More
17th Century Louis XIV Large Giltwood Frame
This significant and rare frame dates from the period of Louis XIV, the French Sun King. The rich decoration is hand carved in great detail and gilded over gesso. The fantastic design is a typical example of 17th century French Baroque frames. Decorative elements include fanned lambrequins, floretted designed corners and pierced foliate scrolling. Over the course of about three hundred and fifty years, some of the gesso under the gilding has flaked off, which is a common occurrence. There are also some minor restorations. Measurements: Inner size W 23” x H 29” Outer size: W 29 ½” x H 35” Weight: 12 lb.
- Of the PeriodLouis XIV
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1680
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsOver the course of about three hundred fifty years, some of the gesso under the gilding has flaked off, which is a common occurrence. There are also some minor restorations.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 29 in. x W 23 in. x D 2.50 in.H 73.66 cm x W 58.42 cm x D 6.35 cm
- Seller LocationPoughkeepsie, NY
- Reference NumberLU3915313035762
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 14 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2018
Located in Poughkeepsie, NY
More From This Seller
18th Century French Miniature Genre Painting
Antique 18th Century French Baroque Paintings
Superb French hand-painted watercolor/gouache miniature on a bone panel. It depicts Bacchus and Ariane in a courting scene set in a mountainous landscape. The 18th century miniature ...
19th Century French Barbizon School Landscape P...
Antique 19th Century French Barbizon School Paintings
This is a beautiful landscape painting from the French Barbizon School. The oil painting on canvas shows the typical style of atmospheric silvery landscape in cool damp colors. It is...
17th Century Dutch Oil Painting, Attributed Adriaen Van Ostade Framed
By Adriaen van Ostade
17th Century Dutch Oil Painting, Attributed Adr...
Adriaen van Ostade
Antique 17th Century Dutch Baroque Paintings
This is an oil painting on a small hand shaved beveled oakwood panel. According to an old label on the back of the panel this painting is attributed to Adriaen van Ostade, known as t...
Venetian Renaissance Style Cassetta Picture Fra...
20th Century American Renaissance Picture Frames
Robert M. Kulicke, the renowned New York Framemaker, created this beautiful Venetian Renaissance style frame. This hand carved cassetta frame is parcel-gilt with a sgraffito border a...