- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Ettore Sottsass Ceramic Bowl for Bitossi
- CreatorEttore Sottsass (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 7.09 in (18 cm)Diameter: 8.47 in (21.5 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1968
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationWeesp, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1464220370442
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Weesp, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
An architect, industrial designer, philosopher and provocateur, Ettore Sottsass led a revolution in the aesthetics and technology of modern design in the late 20th century.
Sottsass was the oldest member of the Memphis Group — a design collective, formed in Milan in 1980, whose irreverent, spirited members included Alessandro Mendini, Michele de Lucchi, Michael Graves and Shiro Kuramata. All had grown disillusioned by the staid, black-and-brown “corporatized” modernism that had become endemic in the 1970s. Memphis (the name stemmed from the title of a Bob Dylan song) countered with bold, brash, colorful, yet quirkily minimal designs for furniture, glassware, ceramics and metalwork. They mocked high-status by building furniture with inexpensive materials such as plastic laminates, decorated to resemble exotic finishes such as animal skins. Their work was both functional and — as intended — shocking. Even as it preceded the Memphis Group's formal launch, Sottsass's iconic Ultrafragola mirror — in its conspicuously curved plastic shell and radical pops of pink neon — embodies many of the collective's postmodern ideals.
Sottsass's most-recognized designs appeared in the first Memphis collection, issued in 1981 — notably the multihued, angular Carlton room divider and Casablanca bookcase. As pieces on 1stDibs demonstrate, however, Sottsass is at his most imaginative and expressive in smaller, secondary furnishings such as lamps and chandeliers, and in table pieces and glassware that have playful and sculptural qualities.
It was as an artist that Ettore Sottsass was celebrated in his life, in exhibitions at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, in 2006, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art a year later. Even then Sottsass’s work prompted critical debate. And for a man whose greatest pleasure was in astonishing, delighting and ruffling feathers, perhaps there was no greater accolade. That the work remains so revolutionary and bold — that it breaks with convention so sharply it will never be considered mainstream — is a testament to his genius.
- Filicudi Dining Table by Ettore Sottsass for ZanottaBy Ettore SottsassLocated in Weesp, NLStylish Filicudi dining table with wooden base and silkscreened melamine top designed by Ettore Sottsass for Zanotta Italy in 1992. The table will be shipped insured overseas in a ...Category
1990s Italian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Filicudi Extendable Dining Table by Ettore Sottsass for Zanotta, 1992By Ettore SottsassLocated in Weesp, NLStylish Filicudi dining table with wooden base and silkscreened melamine top designed by Ettore Sottsass for Zanotta Italy in 1992. The table measures L. 129 x W. 71 x H. 73cm and ea...Category
1990s Italian Post-Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Italian Art Deco Ceramic Snack BowlsBy Galvani 2Located in Weesp, NLStylish and elegant Art Deco ceramic snack bowls produced by Galvani, Pordenone Italy in the 1930's. The set is in very good condition without cracks or chips. Galvani was founded i...Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Art Deco CeramicsMaterials
Ceramic$429 / set
- "Yu-Shuang" Cristal White Center Piece by Kazuhiko Tomita For Arcade Murano 1993By Kazuhiko TomitaLocated in Weesp, NLStunning hand blown and hand cut 3 layered glass, crystal - white - crystal, frosted in acid pool. Designed by Kazuhiko Tomita for Arcade, Murano, Venice 1993. This beauty is in perf...Category
1990s Japanese Modern CenterpiecesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Ceramic Espresso Set by Franco PozziLocated in Weesp, NLNew Old Stock Mid-Century Modern dark brown 9 pcs Espresso set produced by Ceramica Franco Pozzi. This set has never been used. It contains the perculator, sugar bowl, milk can and 6...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
- 1950s Ceramic Carafe by Ceramiche PucciBy Pucci Ceramics 1Located in Weesp, NLFuturistic shaped ceramic carafe in beautiful shades of sea green. Produced by Pucci ceramics in a small town called Umbertide in the province of Perugia. The whole set is in e...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian CeramicsMaterials
Ceramic$1,073 / set
- Ettore Sottsass, Glazed Ceramic Bowl, Bitossi, Italy 1968By Ettore SottsassLocated in Berlin, DEEttore Sottsass, ceramic bowl from the 'Hollywood Collection`, designed 1968. Signed: 'Ettore Sottsass, Montelupo, Bitossi'. No chips or cracks, excellent condition.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
- Large Green and Red Centrepiece by Ettore SottsassBy Bitossi, Ettore SottsassLocated in Milan, ITThis elegant centrepiece in white clay features a base in dark grey supporting a conic body made of concentric steps that are finished in red on the outside and in vivid matte green ...Category
2010s Italian CenterpiecesMaterials
- Set of Ceramics by Ettore Sottsass for BitossiBy Ettore SottsassLocated in JM Haarlem, NLThe two vases and the plate offered belong to a limited edition of ‘lava glaze’ ceramic objects commissioned by the prominent Dutch department store ‘De Bijenkorf’ and were manufactu...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
Ceramic$1,820 Sale Price / set30% Off
- Ettore Sottsass, Bitossi Montelupo 'Signed in Ink'By Bitossi, Ettore SottsassLocated in East Hampton, NYBeautifully painted and glazed in grey, blue and off-white - this signed vase is oversized and in the style of a large bobbin or wheel.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern CeramicsMaterials
- Murmansk Silver Fruit Bowl by Ettore SottsassBy Ettore SottsassLocated in Brooklyn, NYMurmansk silver fruit-bowl. Ettore Sottsass (Italian). Memphis Milano (Design: 1982; early production). Manufactured by Rossi & Arcandi, Vicenza for Memphis Milano, Italy. Silver...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern CenterpiecesMaterials
- Montelupo and Londi Midcentury Blue Ceramic Italian Vase for Bitossi, 1960sBy Bitossi, Aldo LondiLocated in Roma, ITAmazing midcentury blue glazed terracotta ceramic vase. This fantastic item was designed by Aldo Londi for Bitossi in Rimini, Italy, during the late 1950s or early 1960s. This mag...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
Ceramic$515 Sale Price20% Off