12 Royal Doulton "Powder Blue" W/ Raised Gold Dinner Plates
About the Item
The redoubtable British ceramics maker Royal Doulton has long embraced popular tastes and enjoys a devoted following among aficionados of English pottery. Some are drawn to the company’s intricately decorated bone china dinner services; others are passionate collectors of Royal Doulton’s artfully hand-painted vases, bowls and figurines.
When founded in 1815 in the Lambeth section of suburban London, Doulton & Co. produced bottles and other storage containers and even sewer pipes in stoneware, a cheap but durable cousin of porcelain. Amid the Victorian era’s rising concern for hygiene, food safety and sanitation, the company flourished. And in the late 1870s Doulton expanded its business into the applied arts.
The firm took over a factory in Staffordshire, in northern England — the traditional home of British ceramics manufacturing — to produce tableware. Around the same time, Doulton opened an art-pottery studio in Lambeth, where vases, urns and other forms were decorated with painted scenic images, flowers or historical motifs. Taking a cue from the venerable Meissen porcelain workshops in Germany, Doulton artisans began crafting figurines modeled on characters from literature and theater. The firm also helped popularize Toby Jugs and other “character mugs” — handled cups shaped as the heads of figures from folklore and popular culture. King Edward VII granted the company the Royal Warrant in 1901.
Royal Doulton china will always make an elegant yet not-too-formal appearance in a traditional table setting. Prices for dinner services vary according to size, age and condition, but generally range from $2,000 to $15,000. Royal Doulton art pottery might be used by some as a bright decorative note; others collect the company’s figurines with the same interest and dedication as stamp and coin enthusiasts. A typical Toby Jug might fetch $50, while very rare figurines can sell for $7,000. Most of the finest Royal Doulton art pottery pieces sell for around $500. As you will see on these pages, few decorative-arts companies are as aesthetically and stylistically diverse as Royal Doulton. The firm truly offers something for everyone.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Great Barrington, MA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 12 Royal Crown Derby Neoclassical Dinner Plates with Profuse Raised Paste GoldBy Royal Crown Derby PorcelainLocated in Great Barrington, MAThere is great and then there is magnificent and these plates made by Royal Crown Derby qualify as magnificent! This set of 12 dinner plates exhibit all of the characteristics of the...Category
Antique Early 1900s English Neoclassical Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Set of 12 Royal Doulton Scenic Hand-Painted Artist Signed Garden Plates W/ GoldBy Royal DoultonLocated in Great Barrington, MAThis set of 12 Royal Doulton dinner or cabinet plates is hand-painted with landscape and garden scenes in a bright vibrant palette. Each unique plate has the garden (Dingley Park, Dr...Category
Vintage 1920s English Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Set of 12 Royal Worcester Cream & Multicolored Enamel & Gold Dinner PlatesBy Royal WorcesterLocated in Great Barrington, MAThis lovely set of 12 Royal Worcester dinner plates have a warm, soft "earthy" colored enamel decoration highlighted in gold. The colors of seafoam green, salmon, sky blue and ivory ...Category
Vintage 1920s English Neoclassical Dinner PlatesMaterials
- 12 Lamm Dresden Arts & Crafts Raised Paste Gold & Cream Dinner Service PlatesBy Ambrosius Lamm, Dresden PorcelainLocated in Great Barrington, MAThis set of 12 dinner plates are made by the iconic Ambrosius Lamm Dresden in a rare Arts & Crafts style decoration featuring a clear white cent...Category
Vintage 1920s German Arts and Crafts Dinner PlatesMaterials
- 12 Royal Crown Derby Service Plates with Two-Color Raised Paste GoldBy Royal Crown Derby PorcelainLocated in Great Barrington, MAThis magnificent set of 12, 19th century Royal Crown Derby service, presentation plates are fit for royalty with the subtle contrast of ivory...Category
Antique 19th Century English PorcelainMaterials
- Minton for Tiffany Complete Dinner Service for 12 Caramel, White & Raised GoldBy MintonLocated in Great Barrington, MAAs we approach the holiday season, this complete Minton for Tiffany dinner service for 12 will work with many decorating themes to dress up any even...Category
Mid-20th Century English Neoclassical PorcelainMaterials
- Set of 12 English Porcelain Dinner Plates, Royal Doulton, circa 1900By Royal DoultonLocated in New York, NYSet of 12 English porcelain dinner plates, Royal Doulton, circa 1900.Category
Early 20th Century English Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Royal Doulton Porcelain Pair of Plates, Fruit Paintings by C B Brough, 1903By Royal DoultonLocated in London, GBThis is a stunning pair of plates made by Royal Doulton in 1903. The plates have beautiful turquoise and raised gilt borders and very accomplished fruit paintings in the centre by the well known painter Charles Brayford Brough. The Royal Doulton factory was first founded in 1815 in Vauxhall in London, and in 1826 moved to Lambeth. In 1882 it opened a factory in Burslem, Staffordshire. The factory made a very wide range of stoneware and porcelain - from simple useful wares to very decorative items. Today the Royal Doulton brand is owned by a Finnish holding company that also owns the Wedgwood, Waterford and Minton brands, however it does not have its own independent factory anymore. These plates would have been part of a very expensive dessert service, and are decorated in the style of the famous Royal Worcester dessert...Category
Antique Early 1900s English Edwardian Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Fine Royal Doulton Service 12 English Raised Gold Gilt Encrusted Dinner PlatesBy Royal DaultonLocated in Roslyn, NYA Wonderful Service Of Royal Doulton 12 Antique English Raised Gold Gilt Encrusted Service / Dinner Plates. Stamped Royal Doulton England On The Back Of Each Plate.Category
20th Century English Belle Époque Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Set of 12 English Raised Gilt Porcelain Dinner Service PlatesBy Royal WorcesterLocated in Lambertville, NJA regal set of 12 elaborately gild service plates, by Royal Worcester. The set with delicate broad gilt borders with a white porcelain background. The mark on the back from 1950.Category
Vintage 1950s American Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Lovely Set of Fourteen Early 20th Century English Royal Doulton Bread PlatesBy Royal DoultonLocated in New York, NYA lovely set of fourteen early 20th century English Royal Doulton bread plates Finely decorated with raised gold. Stamped Royal Doulton England and Gilman Collamore & Co. on th...Category
Early 20th Century English Belle Époque PorcelainMaterials
- 12 Antique English Cobalt Blue & Raised Gold Dinner Plates Circa 1915By Royal DoultonLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA classic and elegant set of dinner plates by one of our favorite Gilded Age factories of Royal Doulton, England. This set features their Robert Allen designed shape and has cartouch...Category
Vintage 1910s British Dinner PlatesMaterials