Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, "Ultima Thule" Glass Footed Serving & Dessert Bowls
About the Item
- Creator:Tapio Wirkkala (Designer),Iittala (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 4.25 in (10.8 cm)Diameter: 6 in (15.24 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 23
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Late 20th Century
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. A few flea bites to edges; wear consistent with age and use. Dimensions provided are for large bowl. Small dessert bowls measure H 2" x D 4.25".
- Seller Location:Norwalk, CT
- Reference Number:Seller: 661821stDibs: LU2916322278672
Along with architect Alvar Aalto, the designer Tapio Wirkkala was Finland’s leading contributor to the Scandinavian interpretation of modernism in the mid-20th century. Prolific and innovative, Wirkkala excelled in a wide range of fields, including glass, furniture, porcelain, jewelry and tableware. The hallmark of his talent was an ability to impart a craft aesthetic based on natural forms — leaves, ice, bubbles, birds — to industrially produced designs.
A native of Helsinki, Wirkkala studied at the national School of Applied Arts and took up a career in graphic design. After serving in the Finnish army during World War II, he joined the glassmaking firm Iittala, an association that would continue to the end of his life. Wirkkala learned every aspect of glassmaking in keeping with his belief that an artist-designer should be involved in all stages of production. His best-known works for Iittala are vases and drinking vessels that resemble either carved ice or icicles. In 1956, Wirkkala began a long relationship with the porcelain maker Rosenthal, for whom he designed elegant table pieces, such as the Finlandia coffee service and the biomorphic Pollo vases.
House Beautiful magazine declared Wirkkala’s Leaf platter the “most beautiful object” of 1951. (The acclaim led to his brief employment stint with industrial designer Raymond Loewy in New York.) That platter was one of the first designs Wirkkala made using laminated sheets of plywood sanded to a smooth surface that resembles an abstract leaf. It would go on to become a motif in many Wirkkala furniture pieces — most notably in inlaid coffee tables for Asko — and in a sense these are the works most emblematic of his personal aesthetic.
Wirkkala was a traditionalist in many ways, but he had a modernist’s practical approach, incorporating his leaf-like spirals into simple, functional objects. That is the core attraction of Wirkkala’s designs: They stand out with a striking, sculptural energy yet blend in as part of a warm and comfortable decor.
Find vintage Tapio Wirkkala furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Norwalk, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Set of Six Art Glass Bowls by Oiva Toikka for IittalaBy Iittala, Oiva ToikkaLocated in Norwalk, CTA set of six art glass bowls displaying a floral motif. Part of the Flora series by Oiva Toikka for Iittala, circa 1960s, Finland. Very charming, with multiple sizes.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
- 8 Pieces Oiva Toikka for Iittala Midcentury Scandinavian GlassBy Iittala, Oiva ToikkaLocated in Norwalk, CTThis is a well rounded grouping of midcentury Scandinavian glass. Including a platter, pitcher, and various bowls. Floral pattern designed by Oiva Toikka for Iittala.Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern Platters and ServewareMaterials
- Set of Timo Sarpaneva for Iittala Ice Glass CandlesticksBy Iittala, Timo SarpanevaLocated in Norwalk, CTGreat set of eleven vintage glass candlesticks by Timo Sarpaneva for Iittala. They range from 12.5 in. high to 5 in. high.Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern CandlesticksMaterials
- Antique Glass Display DomeLocated in Norwalk, CTA wonderful glass display dome great to keep sculpture or collections safe and look more interesting than just on a shelf.Category
Early 20th Century American Late Victorian Scientific InstrumentsMaterials
- Antique Masonic Engraved Glass CupLocated in Norwalk, CTA very intricately carved and etched glass goblet with masonic symbols. Engraved dedication on base.Category
Antique Late 19th Century GlassMaterials
- Willy Johansson for Hadeland Crystal "Atlantic" Vase, circa 1970By Willy Johansson, HadelandLocated in Norwalk, CTWilly Johansson, lead designer for Norway's legendary Hadeland Glassverk in the second half of the 20th century, offers his take on Mid-Century iceb...Category
Vintage 1970s Norwegian Mid-Century Modern VasesMaterials
- Set of 8 Tapio Wirkkala Ultima Thule Iittala 1960s Dessert Bowls in Clear GlassBy Tapio WirkkalaLocated in Atlanta, GAVintage set of eight Tapio Wirkkala Ultima Thule Iittala dessert bowls in crystal clear glass. From the FinnStyle website, "In modern liter...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern Serving BowlsMaterials
- Modern Ultima Thule Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala, Finland 7 Glass BowlsBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in Miami, FLTapio Wirkkala's 1960s Scandinavian Modern creation of Ultima Thule for Iittala, Finland. This design was meant to interpret the melting ice of a snow covered Finnish island. This de...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Serving BowlsMaterials
- Tapio Wirkkala Ultima Thule for Iittala, FinlandBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in Vienna, ATConsists of: 12 whiskey glasses, 6 shot glasses, carafe. Whiskey glasses with upper diameter 7, height 8.5 cm shot glasses with upper diameter 4.5, height 5.5 cm, carafe height 22 c...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Crystal ServewareMaterials
- Set of Iittala Ultima Thule Bowls 13 PiecesBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in Hillringsberg, SEA set of total 13 pieces. 12 clear glass serving bowls and one large bowl in the Ultima Thule pattern for Iittala Glass Co, Finland. Very good. Meas...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern GlassMaterials
Glass$649 Sale Price / set30% Off
- Iittala Ultima Thule 56oz Serving Bowl by Tapio WirkkalaBy Tapio Wirkkala, IittalaLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLTapio Wirkkala was considered the pioneer of modern Finnish industrial art. Internationally recognized for his glass designs, Wirkkala’s greatest inspiration always came from his native Finland. Wirkkala defied the rules of glassblowing with his iconic Ultima Thule...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Scandinavian Modern Platters and ServewareMaterials
- Pattern Pressed Glass Gold Rim Bowls / Dessert Serving SetLocated in Barcelona, ESBeautiful set of Iridiscent amber and clear pressed pattern glass gold rim bowls. Spain, 1960-1970. Six small bowls and a large centerpiece bowl. The whole set has a pressed ball an...Category
20th Century Spanish Mid-Century Modern GlassMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery