- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
19th Century Nymphenburg Master Salt Cellars, Pair
- CreatorNymphenburg Porcelain (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 1.5 in. (3.81 cm)Width: 2.5 in. (6.35 cm)Depth: 3 in. (7.62 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleRococo Revival (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1850s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationSan Francisco, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU98996050633
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Nymphenburg Porcelain (Maker)
Nymphenburg is one of Europe’s most venerable porcelain factories, was founded near Munich in 1747 by Maximilian III Joseph, the elector of Bavaria. It didn’t begin producing under the name we know today, however, until 1761, when it was moved to Nymphenburg Palace.
Porcelain was invented in East Asia around 2,000 years ago, and its formula, which requires a special clay called kaolin, became a closely guarded secret. It wasn’t until the early 1700s that chemists at Meissen, Germany, in the employ of Augustus II the Strong, the elector of Saxony, discovered a process for making true, as opposed to soft-paste, porcelain. Soon factories across Europe were producing fine porcelain services and sculpture for an elite clientele.
Nymphenburg was one of these factories, manufacturing elaborate services for dinner, dessert, coffee and tea, and sculptures for the Bavarian nobility. Round objects, such as dishes and vases, were turned on potter’s wheels, while more complex ones, like figures, were slip cast in molds. This technique ensured that the pieces’ dimensions were precise and consistent. Once shaped, they were fired and, after that, hand-decorated by experienced china painters, who finished each to exacting standards.
Among Nymphenburg’s most famous objects are its lively and charming rococo-style figurines, most often depicting Commedia dell'Arte characters or exotic Chinese figures. Today, the company makes versions of its historic figurines with updated forms and decorations by such designers as Christian Lacroix and Vivienne Westwood.
It also still makes one of its earliest, and eternally popular, china patterns: the floral Cumberland, created in 1765 by Franz Anton Bustelli as the electoral court service. Cumberland is one of more than 20,000 patterns housed today in Nymphenburg’s archive , enabling owners of incomplete sets to find replacements. In addition, the company has engaged contemporary designers such as Ted Muehling and Hella Jongerius to create witty new designs that celebrate the firm’s history while giving it a fresh spin.
- By Rockingham Pottery CompanyLocated in San Francisco, CAVery rare set of 12 Dinner Plates, with the Earl of Derby Coat of Arms, dated 1830. On Pompadour Ground- The p...Category
Antique 1830s English Victorian PorcelainMaterials
PorcelainH 1 in. Dm 10.5 in.$3,500 / set
- By RockinghamLocated in San Francisco, CALovely early Rockingham grey leafy scrolls and gilding, with a floral spray of cottage flowers in the centre. ...Category
Antique 19th Century English George IV Platters and ServewareMaterials
PorcelainH 7.5 in. W 14 in. D 9.5 in.$1,200 / set
- Located in San Francisco, CAThe entire chair was gently restored, the upholstery fabric is the finest Alpaca bouclé, in a soft cream and blu...Category
20th Century American Baroque Revival ArmchairsMaterials
AlpacaH 45 in. W 26.5 in. D 29 in.$3,000
- Located in San Francisco, CAExuberant Portuguese polycromed stately headboard. This headboard probably came from one of the great houses in...Category
Antique 19th Century Portuguese Louis Philippe Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
Giltwood, PaintH 78.75 in. W 69.5 in. D 1.5 in.$8,500
- Located in San Francisco, CAA lovely angel, his right hand extended as if to touch something or hold something. He appears very calm and pe...Category
Antique Late 18th Century Italian Baroque Figurative SculpturesMaterials
WoodH 32.5 in. W 16 in. D 14 in.$4,325
You May Also Like
Antique 1870s English Victorian Serving Pieces
Antique 18th Century and Earlier English Serving Pieces
Antique Early 19th Century English Porcelain
20th Century Serving Pieces
Crystal, Sterling Silver
Antique Late 19th Century English Porcelain
Antique 1880s German Empire Revival Porcelain
Antique Mid-19th Century English Serving Pieces
Antique 19th Century French Porcelain
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery