Items Similar to Art Deco Period, African Ritual Tribal Oxidized Bronze ‘Brow Mask’, 1920s
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 9
Art Deco Period, African Ritual Tribal Oxidized Bronze ‘Brow Mask’, 1920s
This superb example of the ritual African ‘Brow Mask’ is a unique creation of a truly skillful artist from the Jimini tribe of the Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire) during the Art Deco period. The Jimini are relatives of the Senufo people in Ivory Coast. Their neighbors, the Senufo, Baule and Kulango, influence their artistic style and yet it has recognizable independent features. The present Jimini ‘brow’ mask face displays accentuated large and hatched eyebrows above slanting eyes, a prominent hooknose, characteristically hemispheric protruding mouth, and scarification marks on the cheeks. The seamless structure of the exterior and interior of this oxidized bronze mask is the result of the ‘lost-wax’ method of artisanship used. Rare! Dimensions: Height 7.5 inches, width 7.75 inches, depth 4.75 inches.
- DimensionsHeight: 7.5 in. (19.05 cm)Width: 7.75 in. (19.69 cm)Depth: 4.75 in. (12.07 cm)
- StylePrimitive (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesOtherBronze
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1920s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Please examine the photos attentively, as they are an integral part of description. Send us a message to request more details or discuss price.
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2819313126781
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Parcel Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 10 days of delivery.
About the Seller
Located in New York, NY
5 / 5
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1993
1stDibs seller since 2017
42 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 4 hours
More From This Seller
- Located in New York, NYSigned on the base: “DITA”. Impressed foundry stamp.Category
Vintage 1920s Italian Art Deco Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Located in New York, NYSigned with initials “MP.” and marked with three illegible stamps. Dimensions: Height 1-3/4” (4.37cm) width...Category
Vintage 1920s German Art Deco PaperweightsMaterials
- Located in New York, NYUnmarked, probably Austrian, this charming carved green agate octagonal ashtray with green/black patinated bronz...Category
Vintage 1920s Austrian Art Deco PaperweightsMaterials
- Located in New York, NYThis remarkable traditionally shaped bottle vase is made of patinated bronze and depicts a flock of monkeys with...Category
Vintage 1920s Chinese Art Deco VasesMaterials
- Located in New York, NYA vintage Art Deco console table with brass base and marble surface. The piece was formerly used in a bank and t...Category
Vintage 1920s American Classical Roman Console TablesMaterials
- Located in New York, NYA Pair of Art Deco Bronze & Bohemian Crystal Peacock Nightstand Lamps, Ca. 1920s, rewired. Dimensions: 16" W x ...Category
Vintage 1920s Czech Art Deco Table LampsMaterials
You May Also Like
African Lwalwa Tribal Mask
Located in Montreal, QC
African Lwalwa tribal mask enhanced with white pigment on the mouth and ears.
Vintage 1960s Congolese Masks
Decorative Wall Hanging African Folk Art Wooden Carved Tribal Mask
Located in Cowthorpe, North Yorkshire
Decorative African Folk Art wooden carved tribal mask. Measurements: H 33cm, W 23cm, D 14cm.
Mid-20th Century Congolese Mid-Century Modern Masks
$352 Sale Price
Japanese Folk Art Old Wood Carving Mask 1860s-1920s/Wabisabi-Art Contemporary
Located in Sammushi, JP
It is called "Kamado mask" in Japan. It is an item from 1860 to 1920. "Kamado-men" is a custom of the Tohoku region, and is made when a new house is built, and is hung on pillars...
Early 20th Century Japanese Meiji Masks
1920s Halloween Mask Mold by the American Mask Company
By Clay Mosaics & Ceramics Inc. NY
Located in Cincinnati, OH
A brick fired clay Halloween mask mold when masks were made by wrapping gauze around the face, painting the details in and covering the front and back to set the piece in wax. From t...
Mid-20th Century American Folk Art Masks
Early Hardwood Pende Dance Mask Early 20th Century DR Congo African Tribal Art
Located in Point Richmond, CA
Finely carved hardwood mask from the Pende people of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Expressive, with finely carved open mouth and filed sharpened teeth. Raised scarification marks...
Early 20th Century Congolese Tribal Masks
Mid 20th Century Hand Carved African Tribal Mask
Located in San Francisco, CA
Mid 20th century hand carved African tribal mask. Fine old school wooden African Tribal mask Hand carved portrait with natural fiber hair Measures: 8" wide x 6" deep x 10" h...
Mid-20th Century Kenyan Masks
Very Important “Nwantantay” African Dance Mask
Located in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo Leon
Very important “Nwantamtay” dance African mask, consisting of three sections: The upper in plain rectangular shape surmounted by a crescent shape moon, the middle with beautiful geom...
Early 20th Century Burkinabe Primitive Masks