- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pair of French Gilt-Metal and Crystal Leaf Sconces by Maison Baguès
- CreatorMaison Baguès (Maker)
- In the Style Of
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1920s-1940s
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsOverall good condition with new wiring for the US; wear and discoloration to gilded surfaces consistent with age and use; one tole leaf has been repaired.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 19 in. x W 9.25 in. x D 4.5 in.H 48.26 cm x W 23.5 cm x D 11.43 cm
- Seller LocationCharleston, SC
- Seller Reference Number#1929
- Sold AsSet of 2
- Reference NumberLU838519254742
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About Maison Baguès (Maker)
Since its establishment in 1860, the Maison Baguès has been an emblem of French sophistication in luxury lighting design. Each piece the firm makes is hand assembled using traditional techniques, in order to emphasize the elegance and excellence of their detailed artisanal work. Still the epitome of savoir-faire, Maison Baguès’ luxurious pieces are prized for their craftsmanship, beauty and harmony.
The master metalsmith Noël Baguès founded the company as specialists in liturgical bronzes, but by 1880 the company had expanded into the production of bronze light fixtures in response to the development of electrical lighting. Carried on by Noël’s son Eugène and grandsons Victor and Robert, Maison Baguès continued to progress, adding intricately detailed iron lighting collections in the 1920s as well as stair banisters, gates, and accessory tables. Baguès began selling internationally in the interwar period, expanding the company’s operation to New York, Rome and Cairo. Noted for their high end hand crafted work, such as complex carved sconces and hand-strung crystal chandeliers, Maison Baguès appealed to an elite clientele. While Baguès’ Art Deco crystal lighting fixtures drew the most attention, the company was also known for bespoke metalwork that drew commissions from important interior designers and decorating firms such as Maison Jansen and Raymond Subes. The idiosyncratic genius Armand-Albert Rateau used Maison Baguès accessories to decorate the interiors of Jeanne Lanvin’s town home in 1928. Maison Baguès products have also been featured in luxury hotels like Paris's George V, and the Savoy in London.
Today, Maison Baguès continues its history of delicate, detailed work and devotes much of its enterprise to preserving the company’s heritage through restoration. Their efforts are worth it. As you will see on these pages, Maison Baguès remains the last word in classic French lighting and metalwork.
About the Seller
More From This Seller
Mid-20th Century French Art Deco
Crystal, Cut Glass, Iron
20th Century French Neoclassical Revival
Brass, Crystal, Opaline Glass, Bronze
Mid-20th Century French Régence
Vintage 1930s French Louis XV
You May Also Like
Vintage 1930s French Other
Vintage 1960s European
Gold Plate, Crystal, Iron
21st Century and Contemporary French Other
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco
Vintage 1930s French Other
Antique 19th Century French Other
Early 20th Century French