Ralph Lauren Modern Metropolis Bed in Mahogany
About the Item
- Creator:Ralph Lauren (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 44 in (111.76 cm)Width: 65 in (165.1 cm)Depth: 102.1 in (259.34 cm)
- Style:Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:Mahogany,Stained
- Date of Manufacture:2010
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. In very good condition except for a few nicks that will easily touch up.
- Seller Location:NYC, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU807627202762
To suggest that Ralph Lauren has come a long way is an understatement. From his humble beginnings as a tie salesman working out of a drawer at New York’s Empire State Building, he grew one of the world’s largest and most successful fashion empires from scratch.
For decades, Ralph Lauren’s clothing brand has blended classic, preppy Americana East Coast-style with the look of upper-crust English aristocracy. This style is the hallmark of Ralph Lauren’s design and can be seen in all facets of his brand, from its vintage apparel, accessories and jewelry to furniture and décor.
The iconic fashion designer was born Ralph Rueben Lifshitz in New York City and grew up in the Bronx. When he and his brother were in their teens, they changed their surname from Lifshitz to Lauren after being teased about it at school. Later on, Lauren took business classes at night, worked at various menswear retailers and did a stint in the U.S. Army. While working at tie manufacturer Beau Brummel, he was inspired to create his own line of ties.
In 1967, Lauren launched “Polo,” ties handmade from high-quality fabrics featuring a wide design. They were a success. Lauren sold $500,000 worth to retail giants Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus and Paul Stuart in his first year.
Lauren expanded his designs into clothing, with his first menswear line of classic tweed suits in 1968 and, in 1971, his first line of womenswear featuring classic feminine tailoring. Lauren’s nostalgic fashion soon captured the eye of Hollywood. He created costumes for the 1974 adaptation of The Great Gatsby and was responsible for Diane Keaton’s distinctive feminine menswear look in 1977’s Annie Hall. Ralph Lauren’s designs have since garnered national and international acclaim and recognition — from Gwyneth Paltrow’s iconic pink 1999 Oscars dress to becoming the official outfitter of Team USA for the Olympics since 2008.
In 2018, Ralph Lauren celebrated his 50th anniversary with a star-studded fashion show and, in 2019, was awarded an honorary knighthood — the highest British honor — for services to fashion.
On 1stDibs, discover a wide range of vintage Ralph Lauren shirts, sweaters and other clothing.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palisades, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Child's Toy Soldier Design Hand Painted NightstandLocated in NYC, NYChild's toy soldier design hand painted nightstand. Measures: 22 inches x 17.5 inches x 19.5 inches. Normal wear and tear. More photos availa...Category
Late 20th Century Children's FurnitureMaterials
- Large Modern French Tapestry by J.L ViardBy J.L. ViardLocated in NYC, NYA tapestry by French artist J.L Viard for Murmure des Sylves. Tightly woven wool and wool blends. Signed on the front and again the reverse tag with an edition 21 of 100.Category
Vintage 1970s French Modern TapestriesMaterials
- Remarkable Large Modern Glass DishBy Roberto Giulio RidaLocated in NYC, NYA beautifully executed large glass dish with an incised pattern of squares. Beautiful when paired with the dark version listed.Category
Late 20th Century Italian Minimalist TablewareMaterials
- Armchair or Desk Chair in the Manner of Andre SornayBy Andre SornayLocated in NYC, NYA fine armchair in the manner Andre Sornay with nailhead details and four disc decorations on the back splat, upholstered in a vintage Japanese obi.Category
Vintage 1940s French Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Large Bronze Owl Table Lamps in the Manner of Diego GiacomettiBy Alberto and Diego GiacomettiLocated in NYC, NYPair of later re-cast bronze table lamps with owl figures on the bases, after Diego Giacometti (1902-1985).Category
20th Century European Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Sculpture Chair in Copper Pipe by T J VolonisBy TJ VolonisLocated in NYC, NYAn unusual sculpture of copper pipe fittings made into the shape of a chair by studio artist T. J. Volonis.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American ChairsMaterials
- Ralph Lauren Style Queen Size Carved Mahogany Poster BedBy Ralph LaurenLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous carved mahogany four poster queen size bed In the manner of Ralph Lauren for Henredon Circa 1990s Measures: 68.25"W x 90"D x 90.5"H. Very good original vintage...Category
Late 20th Century British Colonial Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Vintage Ralph Lauren Mahogany Scalloped Wingback Sleigh Queen BedBy Ralph LaurenLocated in Topeka, KSSpectacular vintage Ralph Lauren mahogany scalloped wingback sleigh queen bed with head & footboard & siderails. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that...Category
Late 20th Century Colombian French Provincial Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Solid Mahogany King Size Bedframe, Sleigh Bed, Ralph Lauren StyleBy Ralph LaurenLocated in Stamford, CTSolid Mahogany King Size Bedframe, Sleigh bed, Ralph Lauren style A magnificent headboard and footboard with running sideboards depicting a sleigh ...Category
2010s Philippine Regency Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Ralph Lauren Four Poster Full Size BedBy Ralph LaurenLocated in LOS ANGELES, CARalph Lauren four poster full size bed.Category
21st Century and Contemporary North American American Classical Beds and...Materials
Mahogany$4,125 Sale Price25% Off
- Ralph Lauren Home Collection Woven Rattan Wicker BedBy Ralph LaurenLocated in Rio Vista, CAOrganic modern style woven bamboo rattan bed by Ralph Lauren Home Polo collection. The bed features a subtle sleigh form on each end ...Category
20th Century American Organic Modern Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Massive Ralph Lauren Clivedon Black Leather Chesterfield BedBy Ralph LaurenLocated in GBWe are delighted to offer for sale this Monumental handmade in America, RRP £27,000, Ralph Lauren Clivedon black leather and American Mahogany Ch...Category
20th Century American American Classical Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery