Pair Italian Mid-Century Parchment Nightstands / Side Tables by Osvaldo Borsani
About the Item
- Creator:Osvaldo Borsani (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 24.5 in (62.23 cm)Width: 22.5 in (57.15 cm)Depth: 14 in (35.56 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1950
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: ob31stDibs: U09042179351876
With his stylish and technically innovative furniture, Osvaldo Borsani helped change the face of Italian design in the 1950s and ’60s. His sofas and chairs, featuring deeply upholstered seating and adjustable position settings, have an aura of optimism and efficiency that still seems fresh and lively today.
Born in the commune of Varedo in northern Italy’s Lombardy region, Borsani studied at the Brera Academy in Milan — the same school attended by such luminaries as designer Piero Fornasetti and artist Lucio Fontana — as well as the Polytechnic University of Milan. Borsani first worked for his father’s furniture-making firm, Arredamenti Borsani, an atelier influenced by the more expressive and curvaceous wing of Art Deco design. By 1953, when, along with his twin brother, Fulgenzio — the pair also created this visionary mid-century villa — Borsani opened the furniture company Tecno, his design sensibilities had evolved toward furnishings with strong, simple forms enhanced by mechanical innovations, as with the P40 adjustable armchair (1953). Borsani would be the firm’s lead designer for 30 years, while fostering work by Vico Magistretti, Carlo di Carli, Robin Day and others.
Similar to Gio Ponti in the earliest years of his career, Borsani first created designs marked by lush and buoyant lines: tables with voluptuous curved legs, sofas with undulating backrests. But Borsani’s best-known and most novel pieces date from Tecno’s initial furniture lines: the adjustable D70 sofa, which folds open to make a daybed, and the P40 recliner. The latter — now included in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Victoria & Albert Museum — is an articulated lounger with a back, seat and leg rest that can be moved into 486 different positions. Not only is it extremely comfortable, it is also enduringly chic.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- 2 Italian Mid-Century Modern Consoles or Nightstands by Osvaldo BorsaniBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in New York, NY2 Italian midcentury modernist wall console tables or nightstands with sober, clean, modern lines by Osvaldo Borsani, circa 1955. The pieces feature a beautiful contrast of materials...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
Brass, Iron, Wrought Iron
- Pair Italian Mid-Century Modern Consoles or Nightstands Attr. to Osvaldo BorsaniBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in New York, NYRare, elegant pair of Italian Midcentury Modernist wall console tables or bedside tables / nightstands attributed to Osvaldo Borsani, circa 1950. The pieces are an elegant balance of...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
Brass, Iron, Wrought Iron
- Italian Mid-Century Modern Brass & Nickel Side Table / Nightstand by Romeo RegaBy Romeo RegaLocated in New York, NYElegant Italian Mid-Century Modern Double Level brass and nickel table by Romeo Rega for use as side table or nightstand. Mirrored top with glass lower level.Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
Brass, Bronze, Nickel
- Pair of Italian Mid-Century Modern End Tables / Nightstands by Luciano FrigerioBy Luciano FrigerioLocated in New York, NYRare and elegant pair of chest of drawers/commodes/side tables/nightstands by Italian, 1970s designer, Luciano Frigerio. The pierces sit on a round plynth base and as the top sli...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern End Tables
- Pair of French Mid-Century Modern Nightstands / End Tables in Andre Arbus StyleLocated in New York, NYElegant Pair of French Mid-Century solid cherry nightstands / side tables in the modern neoclassical spirit of Andre Arbus.Category
Vintage 1940s French Mid-Century Modern Night Stands
- Pair of French Parchment Nightstands / End Tables in Style of Jean-Michel FrankBy Jean-Michel FrankLocated in New York, NYA sober and elegant pair of parchment nightstands / end or side tables designed in the late 20th century in the manner of Jean-Michel Fra...Category
Early 2000s French Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Italian Mid-Century Console Table Osvaldo BorsaniBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaMid-20th century Italian two-tier coffee or console table attributed to Osvaldo Borsani. Elegant splayed tapering legs and gently curving Silhouette, the upper glass top raised on fl...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Pair of Mid Century Italian NightstandsLocated in Albano Laziale, Rome/LazioA pair of mid century Italian handmade nightstands made from birch root veneer and details in cherry wood. Each nightstand is equipped with a draw...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Osvaldo Borsani Attributed Side TableBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous side table attributed to Osvaldo Borsani, Italy - circa 1940's Burled wood with new mirrored top Features 2 pivoting swivel drawers with original brass hardware.Category
Vintage 1940s Italian End TablesMaterials
- Italian Mid-Century Parchment Bedside or Nightstands by Osvaldo Borsani, 1950By Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Traversetolo, ITOsvaldo Borsani designed these splendid parchment and cherry bedside tables in the 1950s. The upper shelf is glass, with an elegant and slender design. Drawers are covered in parchme...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Vintage Pair Brass Wood Kittinger Nightstands End Side Tables Mid Century ModernBy KittingerLocated in West Palm Beach, FLPair of vintage Kittinger end side tables, nightstands. Marked inside drawer Kittinger. The brass pulls and feet have been polished. The wood is orig...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Pair Mid-Century Open Nightstands, Side / End Tables, American, Walnut, 1960sLocated in Stamford, CTPair mid-century open nightstands, side/end tables. Pair of newly refinished mid-century modern nightstands each having a single drawer above an ope...
Recently ViewedView All
Mid-Century Master Osvaldo Borsani Gets His Due at Donzella
The New York City gallery has devoted its latest show to the work of the modernist Italian designer.
Peek inside Osvaldo Borsani’s Mod Italian Villa
The iconic mid-century estate outside of Milan opens its doors to the public for a very special homage.