Noguchi 1931 50 51 52 Japan
About the Item
- Creator:Isamu Noguchi (Author)
- Dimensions:Height: 11.75 in (29.85 cm)Width: 10.25 in (26.04 cm)Depth: 0.5 in (1.27 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1953
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor soiling to boards. Considerable chipping to dj, especially at joints and corners. Small open tears to spine ends.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU828533735522
A sculptor, painter, ceramicist and furniture and lighting designer, Isamu Noguchi was one of the most prolific and protean creative forces of the 20th century and a key figure in the development of organic modernism. Noguchi’s sculptures and designs share a common spirit: one of lyrical abstraction, tempo and flow and harmonious balance.
Noguchi was born in Los Angeles to an American mother and Japanese father, and spent most of his childhood in Japan. He returned to the United States at age 13, went to high school in Indiana and enrolled at Columbia University to study medicine. At the same time, he took night courses in sculpture. Within three months, he left college to pursue art full time. Noguchi was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1927 and traveled to Paris to work under Constantin Brancusi. It marked a turning point. Inspired by Brancusi, Noguchi embraced abstraction and began to sculpt in the expressive, rhythmic style that would be the hallmark of his work.
Once back in New York, Noguchi was introduced to design by what would become a lifelong collaboration creating sets for choreographer Martha Graham. His first industrial designs were in Bakelite: a sleek clock-timer created circa 1932, and his famed Zenith Radio Nurse intercom, from 1937. Ten years later, Herman Miller introduced Noguchi’s now-iconic glass-topped coffee table with an articulated wooden base. His washi paper and bamboo Akari light sculptures, handmade in Japan, debuted in 1951. In the late 1950s, Noguchi designed for Knoll, creating such pieces as his dynamic Cyclone table and rocking stool.
For collectors, Noguchi’s furniture and lighting designs remain his most accessible work. As you will see on 1stDibs, they have the same power and presence that Noguchi brought to his art.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Katsura Tradition and Creation in Japanese ArchitectureBy Herbert Bayer, Walter GropiusLocated in New York, NYSumptuously produced treatment of the aesthetic and spiritual qualities of traditional Japanese architecture that resonated with and influenced Western modernism—think the simplicity and abstract beauty of tatami geometry combined with a holistic philosophy of indoor/outdoor living. The book itself is a cynosure of academic and graphic quality, with text by Walter Gropius and Kenzo Tange...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Isamu Noguchi Rocking Stool for VitraBy Isamu Noguchi, VitraLocated in New York, NYIconic low rocking stool with a maple top and base and chrome-plated steel rods, a 1954 Isamu Noguchi design for Knoll re-issued by Vitra in 2001. Intended ...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern StoolsMaterials
- Beautiful Homes and Gardens in CaliforniaBy Richard NeutraLocated in New York, NYImportant and lavishly produced survey of postwar California domestic architecture, written by Frank Lloyd Wright-trained California architect Herbert Weisskamp and published by Abrams in 1964. First edition, oblong 4to (10.25” x 7.25”) hardcover with pictorial dust jacket, 4 full color photos, 314 black-and-white photos (3/4 of them by Julius Schulman), plus 113 b/w plans, drawings, and elevations. Showcases the work of the following architects and landscape designers: Raphael Soriano, Pierre Koenig, Craig Ellwood, Frank Lloyd Wright, Mark Mills, Aaron Green...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Moderno, Design for Living in Brazil, Mexico, and Venezuela, 1940-1978By Clara PorsetLocated in New York, NYCatalog of a traveling exhibition opening at the America’s Society in New York in 2015. Published by Santillana. 4to, hardcover, 280 pages, with both full color and b/w illustrations...Category
2010s Mexican Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Facendo Mobili Con PoltronaBy PoltronovaLocated in New York, NYSecond edition of this compendium of radical and post-modern design produced by the Tuscan-based firm Poltronova from its early collaborations with Ettore Sottsass, who became Art Di...Category
1990s Italian Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Jean Prouve, the Poetics of the Technical ObjectBy Vitra, Jean ProuvéLocated in New York, NYFirst edition, stated, of this scholarly monograph/exhibition catalog on the architecture and design work of modernist French master Jean Prouve, evincing his unparalleled mastery of industrial technique and sculptural form. Comprised of a series of short essays addressing and contextualizing various aspects of Prouve’s architecture...Category
Early 2000s German Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- 1940s Isamu Noguchi Black+White Train Clock Modernist Japanese Industrial DesignBy Isamu NoguchiLocated in Hyattsville, MDSale includes both, and both clocks are untested, thus graded DISTRESSED, despite being cosmetically good.Category
Vintage 1930s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
Bakelite$10,450 Sale Price44% Off
- Rare Minnie Negoro Japanese Female Organic Design Ashtray Bowl Noguchi JouveBy Isamu Noguchi, Georges JouveLocated in Hyattsville, MDOrganic ceramic bowls. Black, Brown and Tan. All three signed, M.Negoro, and two with additional Alfred University info. Each sold separately, three...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Tobacco AccessoriesMaterials
- Isamu Noguchi, Noguchi's Imaginary Landscapes, Martin L Friedman, 1978Located in London, GBIsamu Noguchi Noguchi's Imaginary Landscapes By Martin L Friedman Published by the Walker Art Center, New York, 1978. Hardback in dust jacket. First Edition. Exhibition catal...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Isamu Noguchi 'Book'Located in North Yorkshire, GBThis large book is a monograph on the life and work of one of the 20th centuries best known sculptors. His father was Japanese and his mother American, he lived in Japan as a child a...Category
20th Century Books$675Free Shipping
- Folk Art Wood Knife Dated 1931Located in Los Angeles, CAFantastic wood carving of a knife. Just under 15" in length. Dated Jan 14 - 1931. Made in the height of the Great Depression. Really interesting piece of art and sculpture. Great vin...Category
Vintage 1930s American AntiquitiesMaterials
- Skyward by Richard E. Bryd, First Edition, 1931Located in Colorado Springs, COByrd, Richard E. Skyward. New York: Blue Ribbon Books, 1931. Octavo. First edition, eleventh printing. In original hardcover boards and original pictorial dust jacket. Presented in a new archival slipcase. This is a 1931 first edition, eleventh printing of Richard Byrd’s Skyward. The book was published in New York by Blue Ribbon Books in 1931. This is the eleventh printing of Skyward, which was first published in 1928. The book is presented in its original hardcover boards and pictorial dust jacket, with a new archival slipcase. Rear admiral Richard E. Byrd (1888-1957) is celebrated as a pioneering American aviator, polar explorer...Category
Vintage 1930s American Modern BooksMaterials
- Charles Pfister for Knoll Club Chair in Cognac LeatherBy Charles Pfister, KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLCharles Pfister for Knoll International, lounge chair, leather, United States, 1970s This lounge chair is designed as part of a lounge collection in 1971 bij Charles Pfister. Exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Portrait of Juliette Gréco, Pierre Piget, 1950Located in Saint ouen, FRPortrait of Juliette Gréco - Pierre Piget Oil on isorel signed and dated lower right Numbered on the back : 61 Dimensions with frame : 73 x 84cm S...Category
Vintage 1950s PaintingsMaterials
- Hermes Mini Lindy Magnolia Swift BNIBBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes brand new in box mini lindy magnolia swift leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp U, 2022. Coveted new size , can be worn in three ways, also cr...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Cartier Ballon Bleu Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box PapersBy CartierLocated in Atlanta, GACartier Ballon Bleu 28mm Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box Papers. Quartz movement. Round stainless steel case 28.0 mm in diameter....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
Steel, Yellow Gold$5,367Free Shipping
- Swedish Designer, Sconce, Brass, Red-Lacquered Metal, Sweden, c. 1950sLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA brass and red-lacquered metal sconce designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
How Noguchi Elevated Ashtrays to Objets d’Art
Smoking might have fallen out of fashion, but these ashtrays have enduring design appeal.
Daniel Rozensztroch Can’t Live with Enough Beautifully Useful Objects
The French designer, stylist and creative director offers an inside look at the cabinets of curiosities he calls home in Paris and Nice.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery