- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
100th Birthday Rolex Gold Coin Set Hans Wilsdorf, 1881-1981
- CreatorRolex (Manufacturer)
- Attributed toHans Wilsdorf (Jeweler)
- DimensionsHeight: 0.4 in. (1 cm)Diameter: 0.79 in. (2 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1981
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Gold 10 grams.
- Seller LocationCH
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2423314817292
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 4-6 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: NY, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About Rolex (Manufacturer)
Ask anyone, anywhere, to name a luxury watch brand, and the answer will probably be “Rolex.” This enviable worldwide recognition can be credited in part to the genius of company founder Hans Wilsdorf. When the German-born watch dealer and his brother-in-law, Alfred Davis, set up their London enterprise, in 1905, they called it Wilsdorf & Davis, according to the traditional formula.
But Wilsdorf was determined to come up with another name that was short, would look good on a watch dial and was easy to say and remember in several languages. In 1908, he trademarked the name Rolex, and by 1920, he had moved the company to Geneva and redubbed it as Montres Rolex S.A.
But the main reasons for the brand’s success are its commitment to precision and unflagging pursuit of innovation. In 1926, the company introduced the aptly named Oyster model. With a screw-down crown and case back, both fitted with rubber gaskets, this was the first truly waterproof watch.
Five years later, Rolex upped the ante with the Oyster Perpetual. That model’s patented Perpetual movement contained a rotor mechanism enabling it to self-wind. In another trendsetting move, in 1945, the brand debuted the Datejust, with a date window prominently displayed on the dial.
The company’s two most iconic models are sports watches. Although the Submariner, which debuted in 1953, was developed as a dive watch, its waterproof case, solid construction and good looks made it a favorite of adventurers and urbanites alike, including James Bond, who wore it in classics like Dr. No and Goldfinger. The Daytona, the racing chronograph made famous by Paul Newman, is especially sought after by collectors. Newman’s personal Daytona, which hit the auction block in 2017, sold for $17.8 million.
Find vintage and contemporary Rolex watches, bracelets and more on 1stDibs.
- Located in CHItalian marble-top balance scale. White marble-top with chamfered corners, has round nickel trays on top of the ...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Scientific InstrumentsMaterials
Marble, Brass$1,471 Sale Price34% Off
- By BuchererLocated in CHCufflinks from Bucherer 18-karat These beautiful cufflinks by Carl Bucherer enhance every outfit! They are ma...Category
1990s French Art Deco Collectible JewelryMaterials
- Located in CHVery stabile pair of wooden handmade book stands with nice decoration. France, circa 1920.Category
Early 20th Century French BooksMaterials
- By Toledo Metal Furniture Co.Located in CHToledo gold Brief history of the company… Company founded in 1970 after the gathering of several Toledo craf...Category
Vintage 1980s Spanish Mid-Century Modern Collectible Jewelry
- Located in CHSports and leisure numismatic touring club de France silver medal 50mm Congres Forestier, 1913 Engraved by J. ...Category
Antique Early 19th Century French More Desk AccessoriesMaterials
- Located in CHCertified F1 racing car 'Cinquant'Anni Ferrari-Dalla 125S Alla F310B' L.10000 'Republica Di San Marino' 34 m...Category
1990s Italian Mid-Century Modern Historical MemorabiliaMaterials
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary German Modern More Desk Accessories
Early 20th Century Danish Models and Miniatures
Marble, Silver Plate
Antique Early 1900s British Victorian Aviation Objects
Antique Early 19th Century English Georgian Books
Vintage 1970s Greek Greek Revival Historical Memorabilia
Antique Early 1900s American Desk Sets
Antique Mid-18th Century German Baroque Scientific Instruments
Antique 19th Century English Desk Sets
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery