David Yurman 18 K & Sterling Silver, Choker/ Necklace with Diamond/Garnet Buckle
About the Item
- Creator:David Yurman (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 5.5 in (13.97 cm)Diameter: 0.2 in (5.08 mm)
- Style:Post-Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:n/a
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU808934443132
Perhaps the ultimate artistic couple, sculptor David Yurman (b. 1942) and his wife, painter Sybil Kleinrock (b. 1942), couldn’t have imagined they’d build an internationally renowned fine jewelry empire when they met in 1969 at a sculpture studio in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village.
Eleven years later, in 1980, the duo established the David Yurman brand and it boomed almost instantly, a by-product of the pair’s love for and commitment to making art. (They’ve been known to call their business as well as their relationship “one big art project.”) In fact, Yurman’s most recognizable piece, the Cable bracelet, was inspired by his background in metalworking and direct welding, skills he learned when he was just a teenager. It is a marvelously modern accessory rooted in everything from jewelry motifs of ancient Syria to the natural formations of tree branches that would yield the Cable ring, earrings and other items.
When Long Island, New York–born Yurman was in high school, he spent a summer visiting his sister in Provincetown, Massachusetts, where he met Cuban sculptor Ernesto González, who taught him how to heat and fuse metals. After that fateful summer, Yurman experimented feverishly with bronze sculpture and, eventually, minimalist jewelry design.
Yurman studied briefly at New York University, opting to drop out after a year to hitchhike across the United States, ending up in an artist colony on California’s Big Sur coastline. The bustling artists’ scene in New York during the 1960s eventually drew him back to the East Coast. There, he trained under Cubist sculptor Jacques Lipchitz, and, by 1969, he was a foreman in sculptor Hans Van de Bovenkamp’s Greenwich Village studio. It was in the studio that he met Kleinrock.
Kleinrock and Yurman began a romantic relationship, and he designed her a sculptural welded bronze necklace to wear to an art gallery opening. The gallery owner was so enchanted by the design — Yurman called it the Dante — that she wanted to buy it on the spot. Yurman refused because he considered the gift too personal, but his partner left it with the dealer. Within hours, four necklaces were sold and a brand was born.
A year after the two married in 1979 — the ceremony included simple gold rings Yurman had soldered from gold in his workshop — they officially launched David Yurman. Three years later, one of his most popular designs, the Cable bracelet, hit the market.
Today, David Yurman’s bracelets, rings, necklaces and earrings are widely treasured, distinctive works of American jewelry design.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Dunhill, gas Butane "Sylph"Sterling Silver Slim lighter, diamond pattern .By Alfred DunhillLocated in Los Angeles, CANice and luxury lighter by the well known UK Dunhill Ltd. company .This was crafted in the Paris, France studio . Marked 925, also AD marks, diamond pattern. This lighter comes with ...Category
20th Century French Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
- Yehia Yemini Silver Plate Candleholder, Bezalel School, Jerusalem SignedBy Yehia YeminiLocated in Los Angeles, CAVery nice candleholder by the very well known silversmith and jeweler Yehia Yemini ( Yihye Yemini, 1896-1983) Bezalel School Jerusalem .This candleholder made in Star of David shape ...Category
Vintage 1980s Israeli Post-Modern CandlesticksMaterials
- Miguel Berrocal Sculpture/Abstract, Torso " with Stand, Choker Necklace ArtBy Miguel BerrocalLocated in Los Angeles, CABeautiful mounted sculpture from the Puzzle Spanish master Miguel Berrocal, This work is signed in front and numbered 809/1000.Category
Vintage 1980s Spanish Post-Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Ottaviani Large, Lux Wood Box & 800 Silver, Card, Dice, Poker Game Horse/StallionBy OttavianiLocated in Los Angeles, CABeautiful game box, hand made by Ottaviani in Italy Rocanati, this box has R mark and also shows 925 sterling mark on side of the R. All chips and card seem to be in the box and some...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Post-Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
- Cassetti, Large Sterling Silver Box, Jewelry/ Decorative, with Wood LiningBy CassettiLocated in Los Angeles, CABeautiful large sterling silver box by Cassetti, marked. Nice wood lining.Category
Late 20th Century Italian Post-Modern Sterling SilverMaterials
- Arthur Secunda Acrylic Sculpture Title "Life" Signed, Numbered, 12/20By Arthur SecundaLocated in Los Angeles, CABeautiful sculpture celebrating " Life" by the well known artist Arthur Second. This piece has a dedication under base as shown .Is signed and numbe...Category
Late 20th Century American Post-Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- David Yurman 18-Karat Gold, Pearls and Sterling Silver, Figaro NecklaceBy David YurmanLocated in New York, NYA beautiful vintage David Yurman 'Figaro' necklace, early 21st century. Necklace is comprised of substantial sterling silver links and large freshwater pearls embraced by 18-karat ye...Category
Early 2000s American Collectible JewelryMaterials
Gold, Sterling Silver$1,560 Sale Price20% Off
- David Yurman 18k Yellow Gold “Cable” Necklace with 6 Cultured PearlsBy David YurmanLocated in Shippensburg, PAAn exquisite choker necklace by David Yurman in his iconic "Cable" design, the form has become an important signature in his work and is immediately recognizable. This finely crafted...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Collectible JewelryMaterials
- Hammered Sterling Cuff Choker Necklace with MalachiteLocated in Los Angeles, CAFrom the Estate of Burt Lancaster in Beverly Hills CA, hammered sterling cuff choker necklace with malachite - a stunning necklace, rigid, modern and architectural. A true statement,...Category
20th Century Mexican Modern Collectible JewelryMaterials
Malachite, Sterling Silver
- Sculptural Sterling Silver Choker Necklace by Graziella LaffiBy Graziella LaffiLocated in Atlanta, GAA bespoken sterling silver chocker necklace very bold design by Graziella Laffi, Lima, Peru, circa 1970s. The chocker features six subtly hammered roundels radiating into a trio of A...Category
Vintage 1970s Peruvian Modern Collectible JewelryMaterials
- Vintage Italian 18k Gold Teardrop Pendant Choker Necklace with 7 DiamondsLocated in Shippensburg, PAAn incredibly fine teardrop choker necklace crafted entirely in 18 karat yellow gold, it features a double-hinge that allows the necklace to fold open on either side and be placed on...Category
20th Century Italian Modern Collectible JewelryMaterials
- Vintage Sterling Silver Engraved BuckleLocated in Seguin, TXVintage circa 1950's engraved sterling silver buckle. Overall foliate design with a small blank area that you could have monogrammed. Marked on back sterling, accomodates a 1" wide...Category
Mid-20th Century American Edwardian Collectible JewelryMaterials
Sterling Silver$103 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery