Skip to main content
  • Want more images or videos?
    Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 11
Auction

Gothic Revival Carved Oak and KPM Porcelain Triptych

About

The triptych comprises a trio of porcelain plaques, depicting the patron saints of the German city of Cologne (Köln) by the renowned Berlin manufacturer KPM (Konigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur). The larger central plaque depicts the Madonna and Child receiving the three Magi and their gifts. The two, smaller flanking plaques depict St. Ursula and St. Gereon. The subject for the plaques is taken from 'The Dombild Altarpiece', a famous triptych of c. 1442 by Stefan Lochner (German, circa 1410-1451), which was painted in tempera on oak for the Cologne Cathedral. The plaques are centrally mounted within a heavily carved oak frame. The frame has a pair of doors to the centre, which open to reveal the painted porcelain plaques to the interior. The triptych frame is intricately carved all-over and takes an architectural form, featuring foliate motifs, scrolls and a central cross. The frame stands upon a separate bracket of carved oak which takes the form of a raised plinth and features additional scrolling foliate carvings. Measures: Frame Height 100 cm x width 58 cm (doors closed) x 80 cm (doors open) x depth 13 cm Bracket Height 44 cm x width 64 cm x depth 14 cm Overall Height 144 cm x width 58 cm (doors closed) x 80 cm (doors open) depth 14 cm.

Details

Shipping & Returns

  • Shipping
    $650 Standard Front Door Shipping
    to United States 0, arrives in 8-11 weeks.
    We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.
    Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.
    Ships From: London, United Kingdom
  • Return Policy

    A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.

Auctions on 1stDibs
Our 7-day auctions are an opportunity to bid on extraordinary design. We do not charge a Buyer's Premium and shipping is facilitated by 1stDibs and/or the seller. Plus, all auction purchases are covered by our comprehensive Buyer Protection. Learn More
1stDibs Buyer Protection Guaranteed
If your item arrives not as described, we’ll work with you and the seller to make it right. Learn more

About the Manufacturer

KPM Porcelain

The Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin, or KPM (Royal Porcelain Factory, Berlin, in English) was one of the most influential porcelain factories to emerge in 18th-century Germany, along with Nymphenburg and Meissen. KPM was the third incarnation of a company originally founded in 1751 by Wilhelm Caspar Wegely to take advantage of the burgeoning market for “white gold.” On the verge of bankruptcy, Wegely sold his inventory and tools to Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky, who in 1761 established another porcelain factory, which also failed, and was subsequently taken over by Frederick II of Prussia in 1763. Like Augustus II, Elector of Saxony, the patron of Meissen and a keen collector who described himself as suffering (quite happily) from “porcelain sickness,” Frederick II was proud to refer to himself as KPM’s “best customer.” KPM produces china and figurines to this day, and throughout its long history, it has been a style-setter for elegant tableware, particularly in the 1930’s, the period during which their popular patterns Urbino, Urania and Arkadia were designed. Thanks to its royal patronage, KPM had the resources and contacts necessary to establish itself as a leading luxury producer, and supplied Russian and European elites with tableware in the Rococo and Neoclassical styles, as well as monumental vases, and decorative plaques. Many of these objects can be found today in major museums as a result of Frederick II’s penchant for sending KPM porcelain as diplomatic gifts throughout Europe. Unlike Meissen, which was known for crafting porcelain sculptures of dazzling complexity, KPM is revered for the precision and splendor of its surface decoration, and for its porcelain plaques depicting scenes from history and mythology. One especially lovely example circa 1790 is a neocalssical-style tea service decorated with gold accents and a grisaille design of figures from the ancient world. By contrast, this boldly colorful narrative cup and saucer set from the 1840’s depicts scenes from real life as colorfully as a painting. The set was commissioned by a gentleman for his wife as a tongue-in-cheek gift commemorating her misadventures while in town for a visit to the opera, which resulted in her opera glasses being stolen. The saucer shows the thief and the glasses, and the cup reveals the scene of the crime in vivid hues. KPM was forced to move from its original location in 1867 due to the building of the new Prussian Parliament building, and this afforded the company the opportunity to to create a new factory with the newest equipment and materials of the day. With the growing popularity of Art Nouveau and the western fascination with Asian ceramics, KPM began formulating glazes that evoked the color palette and rich surfaces of Chinese porcelain. By the turn of the century, KPM was exhibiting its wares to a global audience at international expositions. At the end of World War I with the collapse of the Prussian monarchy, KPM was renamed the State Porcelain Manufactory Berlin, continuing to use the name KPM and its use of the cobalt blue sceptre mark that is painted on the bottom of every piece. By the late 1920’s, the designers and craftsmen of KPM were inspired by the tenets of Modernism, particularly the styles of the Bauhaus and the Deutscher Werkbund. During this period, the firm’s aim was to produce useful household porcelain for a range of consumers, rather than catering to a small elite. Among the most successful patterns of this era was designer Trude Petri’s Urbino line, which is still produced today. Following World War II, KPM was temporarily housed in the town of Selb, and only returned to its rebuilt quarters in Berlin in 1957. In the 1980s, KPM became an private company independent of the state, and began to focus production on the preservation of historic forms, designs, and techniques. KPM continues to collaborate with designers from all over the world, most recently on the Berlin dinnerware service with designer Enzo Mari, and a collaboration with the luxury brands Bottega Veneta and Bugatti.
About the Seller
4.9 / 5
Located in London, United Kingdom
Recognized Seller
These prestigious sellers are industry leaders and represent the highest echelon for item quality and design.
Platinum Seller
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1975
1stDibs seller since 2012
225 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 2 hours
Associations
The British Antique Dealers' AssociationInternational Confederation of Art and Antique Dealers' Associations
More From This Seller

You May Also Like

Antique KPM Hand-Painted Porcelain Cabinet Plate Depicting the Biblical "Ruth"
By KPM Porcelain
Located in Hamilton, Ontario
This antique hand-painted porcelain cabinet plate was made by the renowned KPM porcelain factory of Germany in approximately 1880. The center of the plate features a depiction of the...
Category

Antique Late 19th Century German Neoclassical Revival Religious Items

Materials

Porcelain

English Gothic Revival Oak Prie-dieu
Located in New York, NY
English Gothic Revival style (19th Cent) oak Prie-dieu with triple arch design and green velvet cushion.
Category

Antique 19th Century English Gothic Revival Religious Items

Materials

Wood, Velvet

Gothic Revival Carved Oak Lectern/ Bible & Religious Book Stand with Christogram
Located in Lisse, NL
Stunning church lectern for books or sheet music. This Gothic floor stand from the earliest years of the 20th century is another perfect example of the quality and beauty of the han...
Category

Early 20th Century European Gothic Revival Religious Items

Materials

Oak

Antique Handcrafted & Carved Oak Gothic Revival Church Prayer Chair for Kneeling
Located in Lisse, NL
Wonderful antique church stool for silent prayers. This Gothic style church relic has been in use for well over one hundred years and it still looks incredibly beautiful. It is clea...
Category

Antique Late 19th Century European Gothic Revival Religious Items

Materials

Oak

Antique Gothic Revival, Hand Carved Solid Oak, Open Design Church Hall Bench
Located in Lisse, NL
Handcrafted Gothic bench with church window-like openings in the sides. When we first saw this Gothic Revival church bench we immediately fell in love with its open design and light...
Category

Early 20th Century Dutch Gothic Revival Religious Items

Materials

Oak

Stunning Multi Purpose Gothic Revival Hand Carved Tiger Oak Cabinet 1920s & Mint
Located in Lisse, NL
Mint condition, antique Gothic cabinet. This practical size and beautifully hand carved tiger oak cabinet from circa 1920 is in mint condition. It comes with the finest quality carv...
Category

Early 20th Century Dutch Gothic Revival Cabinets

Materials

Wrought Iron

Impressive Size and Deeply Carved Gothic Revival Church Wall Bracket.
Located in Lisse, NL
Antique large Gothic Revival wall bracket with carved acanthus leafs This handcrafted and hand-carved, Gothic Revival wall bracket is one of the largest we ever had the pleasure of ...
Category

Antique 19th Century European Gothic Revival Religious Items

Materials

Oak

Antique Gothic Revival Hand Carved Oak & Wrought Iron Hooks Hall Stand Coat Rack
Located in Lisse, NL
Unique and highly practical Gothic coat rack with cane and umbrella stand and mirror. This large and beautiful Gothic hall Stand is another great example of the quality of the workm...
Category

Early 20th Century Dutch Gothic Revival Coat Racks and Stands

Materials

Wrought Iron, Zinc

The 1stDibs Promise

Learn More

Expertly Vetted Sellers

Confidence at Checkout

Price-Match Guarantee

Exceptional Support

Buyer Protection

Insured Global Delivery