Original 1800s Praxinoscope
This is a nice original with a good collection of animation strips and still in the original box. This one is made in Germany, signed A. Pichlers and it includes 7 viewing strips. The Praxinoscope was an animation device, the successor to the zoetrope. It was invented in France in 1877 by Charles-Émile Reynaud. Like the zoetrope, it used a strip of pictures placed around the inner surface of a spinning cylinder. The praxinoscope improved on the zoetrope by replacing its narrow viewing slits with an inner circle of mirrors, placed so that the reflections of the pictures appeared more or less stationary in position as the wheel turned. Someone looking in the mirrors would therefore see a rapid succession of images producing the illusion of motion, with a brighter and less distorted picture than the zoetrope offered.
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1870s
- Materials and Techniques
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 4 in. x W 12 in. x D 12 in.H 10.16 cm x W 30.48 cm x D 30.48 cm
- Seller LocationPeekskill, NY
- Reference NumberLU883818346512
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- Shipping$110Standardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 4-6 weeks.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 10 days of delivery.See Details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
4.9 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2009
Typical response time: 1 hour
Located in Peekskill, NY
More From This Seller
Rare and Original 1800s Childs Wire Mannequin
Antique 1880s American Victorian
1800s Merryweather Smoke Mask
Antique Early 19th Century British Industrial
Rare Antique 1800s Sagittal Sectioned Skull
Antique Late 19th Century Unknown Victorian
You May Also Like
$55 Sale Price / set
19th Century Handmade Wooden Mortise Gauges, ci...
San Francisco, CA
Antique 19th Century American Victorian
Agnus Dei, Antique French Religious Banner, 1800s
Antique 19th Century French
Antique French Scale in Original Paint, Early 1...
Antique 1820s French Country
1800s Carved Drapery Trompe l'oeil Panel Hearse...
Antique 1890s American Late Victorian
Pair of French Antique Chemist Glass Bells, Lat...
Antique Late 19th Century French Industrial
$225 Sale Price
19th Century Cast Iron Balance Scale, circa 1800s
San Francisco, CA
Antique 19th Century American Industrial
Handmade Antique Miniature Country House Sidebo...
Antique Late 19th Century European Country
Brass, Glass, Pine