- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1920s Goyard Trunk, 110 Cm Goyard Steamer Trunk, Goyard Courrier Trunk
- CreatorGoyard (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 19.69 in (50 cm)Width: 43.31 in (110 cm)Depth: 21.66 in (55 cm)
- StyleArt Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1920-1930
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationSaint-Ouen, FR
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1035227009132
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Saint-Ouen, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Maker
Few brands have stood the test of time as resolvedly as the French House of Goyard, a family-owned maker of luxury handbags, totes and accessories in chic and timeless styles and a vibrant array of colors. The internationally renowned bags were born out of the maison’s original business of making leather goods and other luxury travel wares — once the favorite of the French aristocracy, Goyard trunks are highly sought-after antiques today.
Originally known as House of Martin, the brand was founded in Paris in 1792 by trunk maker Pierre-François Martin. It quickly grew in distinction, and, in 1841, Martin hired and passed on the business to his employee, Louis-Henri Morel. In 1845, Morel himself hired a 17-year-old apprentice named François Goyard, who eventually took over and renamed the company Maison Goyard (House of Goyard).
François' son, Edmond Goyard, ushered the business into a new era when he became the head of the company in 1885. He focused increasingly on elite and international clientele to grow the brand's prestige. Edmond also created a "pet chic" line of Goyard dog collars and other accessories. Perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the younger Goyard was the Goyard signature canvas, as seen on the iconic luxury St. Louis tote. Durable, lightweight and waterproof, it features a distinctive "Y" pattern created from three chevrons or different shades. This revolutionary canvas laid the foundation for the modern brand.
A daring innovator, Edmond Goyard took the brand to the World Exposition of Paris in 1900 and won a bronze medal. Gold medals at the World Exposition of Milan and the Franco-British Exposition of London followed. Goyard continued showing at World Expos, bringing the house even more international acclaim and the attention of esteemed clientele like Pablo Picasso, John D. Rockefeller and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
In 1998, the fashion house was purchased by passionate Goyard bag and trunk collector Jean-Michel Signoles. He re-established the brand as a purveyor of luxury bags that continue to garner recognition.
- 1920s Goyard Trunk, 100 cm Goyard Steamer Trunk, Goyard Courrier TrunkBy GoyardLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis Aine Goyard courrier trunk has got very nice proportions as well as a beautiful, warm patina. It features its famous and sought after chevron canvas, its original solid brass G...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- 1920s Goyard Cabin Trunk, Goyard Trunk in Chevrons CanvasBy GoyardLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis Goyard steamer trunk features the very sought after chevrons canvas as well as all solid brass fittings: Goyard marked side handles and locks. Goyard plaques on each side. Brass...Category
Vintage 1920s French Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- 1920s-1930s Goyard Trunk, Goyard Wardrobe Double Hanging Section Steamer TrunkBy GoyardLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis beautiful Goyard wardrobe features the very famous and sought after chevrons canvas as well as solid brass fittings: solid brass lock, clasps and corners. Its main lock is stamp...Category
Vintage 1920s French Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- Hermes Red Goyard Trunk, Goyard Steamer TrunkBy GoyardLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis adorable little Goyard trunk features Hermes red color canvas, solid brass corners and solid brass engraved Goyard lock and clasps. It has got a large leather handle on the top....Category
Vintage 1930s French Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- 1930's Goyard Shoe Trunk in Red Canvas, Goyard Trunk, Goyard Steamer TrunkBy GoyardLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis magnificent Goyard shoe trunk features the very unusual burgundy red canvas, Goyard stamped solid brass locks, as well as brass studs and large leather side handles. It still ha...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Trunks and LuggageMaterials
- 1920s Louis Vuitton Trunk in Monogram Canvas, Louis Vuitton Steamer TrunkBy Louis VuittonLocated in Saint-Ouen, FRThis Louis Vuitton trunk features stenciled canvas, deep black lozine trim, engraved LV black steel side handles, solid brass Louis Vuitton stamped brass lock and clasps as well as L...Category
Vintage 1920s French Trunks and LuggageMaterials
You May Also Like
Antique Late 19th Century French Belle Époque Trunks and Luggage
Leather, Canvas, Wood
Antique Mid-19th Century French Trunks and Luggage
Early 20th Century English Trunks and Luggage
Early 20th Century Victorian Trunks and Luggage
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Trunks and Luggage
20th Century English Industrial Trunks and Luggage
Zinc, Metal, Iron
Early 20th Century British Trunks and Luggage
Antique 19th Century Chinese Trunks and Luggage
Antique Mid-19th Century English Campaign Trunks and Luggage
Antique Late 19th Century English Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery