Century Chair Co. Horseshoe James Mont Style Oriental Asian Arm Chair
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Century Chair Co. Horseshoe James Mont Style Oriental Asian Arm Chair
- CreatorCentury Furniture (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 25.5 in (64.77 cm)Depth: 24 in (60.96 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- StyleChinoiserie (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of ManufactureLate 20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Stains to fabric.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference NumberSeller: 1654409463201stDibs: LU934128355202
About the Manufacturer
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- Pair James Mont Horseshoe Ming Style Chairs Armchairs Century Chair Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAPair James Mont style horseshoe Ming style armchairs by Century Chair Co. (A). Item features solid wood construction, beautiful wood grain, great style and form, circa mid-20th centu...Category
20th Century American Chinoiserie Armchairs
- Pair of Vintage Cream Lacquered James Mont Style Ming Horseshoe Lounge ChairsBy James MontLocated in Philadelphia, PAQuality pair of vintage decorator cream lacquered Asian inspired lounge chairs. The pair features solid wood frames, cream lacquered finish, horseshoe barrel backs, burgundy and gold...Category
Vintage 1970s American Ming Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Cane James Mont King Cole Style Bentwood Arm Chairs, a PairBy James MontLocated in Philadelphia, PAMid-Century Modern Cane James Mont King Cole style bentwood arm chairs - a pair. Item features cane barrel backs, tapered legs, clean modernist lines, sleek sculptural form, maker un...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- James Mont Style Horseshoe Ming Style Lounge Club Chair by CenturyLocated in Philadelphia, PAJames Mont style Horseshoe Ming style Lounge club chair by Century. Item features solid wood frame, clean modernist lines, quality American craftsmanship, great style and form. Circa...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Chinoiserie Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Medallion Limited Oriental Chinoiserie James Mont Style Round Ming Coffee TableBy Medallion LimitedLocated in Philadelphia, PAMedallion Limited oriental Chinoiserie James Mont style round ming coffee table. Item features a round custom glass top, ming style legs, black ebonized base, brown wooden top, origi...Category
Mid-20th Century Chinoiserie Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Vtg Chinoiserie Bone Lacquer Oriental James Mont Style Console Hall TableLocated in Philadelphia, PAVintage Chinoiserie bone lacquer 54" oriental James Mont Style console hall table. Item features rolling casters, 2 tiers, carved and rolled edges, carved fretwork corners, solid woo...Category
Mid-20th Century Chinoiserie Console TablesMaterials
- Pair of James Mont Style Lacquered Horseshoe Chairs by CenturyBy James Mont, Century FurnitureLocated in Rio Vista, CAOpulent pair of large Chinese ming style horseshoe lounge chairs made by Century. Originally designed by James Mont these chairs epitomize his over the top dramatic mid-century moder...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- James Mont Style Horseshoe Lounge Chairs, PairBy James MontLocated in Van Nuys, CAStunning pair of James Mont style Asian horseshoe armchairs. Both possess a dark stain wood frame with hand carved reliefs and decorations. The multicolored seat cushions feature...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- 1970s James Mont for Century Furniture Chinoiserie Horseshoe Ming Chairs, PairBy Century Furniture, James MontLocated in Medina, OHA beautiful pair of James Mont Chinoiserie Horseshoe Ming Chairs by Century! Original black lacquer frames with brass accents, reupholstered in a beautiful blue and white striped fab...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Side ChairsMaterials
- Pair of James Mont Style Black Lacquer Horseshoe Chairs by Century FurnitureLocated in Milford, NHA stunning pair of James Mont style black lacquer Chinese horseshoe chairs with polychrome hand painted Asian scene splats by Brenda Bolick, gilt line highlights, brass corner, arm, ...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Asian Style Ebonized Arm Chairs In the style of James MontLocated in Swedesboro, NJEbonized lacquered frames with gilt highlights. Pink floral cushions.Category
20th Century ArmchairsMaterials
- James Mont Hollywood Regency Style Chinoiserie Lounge Chairs, 1970'sBy James Mont, Century FurnitureLocated in Lambertville, NJJames Mont Style horseshoe Chinoiserie accent lounge chairs. These Hollywood Regency style chairs feature beautiful honey wood curved frames with brass hardware accents and upholster...Category
Vintage 1970s Hollywood Regency ArmchairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery