Six Bastiano Armchairs in Leather by Tobia Scarpa, Haimi Finland, 1960s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 27.56 in (70 cm)Width: 36.03 in (91.5 cm)Depth: 27.17 in (69 cm)Seat Height: 14.18 in (36 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1960
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good vintage condition, minor wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Helsinki, FI
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU7495234200982
Afra & Tobia Scarpa
Widely recognized as superstars of postmodern Italian design, husband-and-wife team Afra and Tobia Scarpa (1937–2011; b. 1935) collaboratively created chairs, sofas and other furniture that work equally well in both traditional and cutting-edge environments.
Ranging from architecture and interior design to furniture and clothing, the Scarpas’ practice from its beginnings in the mid-1950s to the 21st century has included a diverse scope of projects combining new technology with thoughtful function and sculptural yet simple forms.
Afra Bianchin and Tobia Scarpa met as architecture students at the Università Iuav di Venezia. In a class led by architect and furniture designer Franco Albini, they created their first collaborative piece, the Pigreco armchair, later produced with Gavina. After graduating in 1957, Tobia worked for Murano glass company Venini & Co. before the couple opened a studio in Afra’s hometown, Montebelluna, in 1960. (Tobia, the son of famed glass artist and architect Carlo Scarpa, was born in Venice.)
For Afra and Tobia, a close collaborative process was pivotal to the success of their designs. The duo was also prolific — they designed for the most influential European manufacturers, including B&B Italia, Cassina, Knoll and FLOS. With respect to the latter, Afra and Tobia were among the legendary Italian lighting maker’s earliest collaborators, and their pioneering designs for the brand included the Papillon lamp, one of the first fixtures to use halogen technology. Their most recognized designs include the Bastiano sofa (1962), the Vanessa bed (1959), the Coronado sofa (1966) and the Soriana seating collection (1970). Work on the Soriana sofa began in late 1969 for an early 1970 debut, and it feels as radical today as it did in its heyday.
Architecture was also a central part of Afra and Tobia’s practice, which spanned residential buildings and factories for Italian companies such as Benetton. Their commissions for the global fashion brand included numerous industrial projects, from textile plants to storefronts. By 1985, Afra and Tobia Scarpa’s work was celebrated in a 30-year retrospective at Center Four in Queens, New York. Looking around the 30,000-square-foot exhibition space, Afra joked to the New York Times, “Seeing all those things makes us feel very tired, and now we feel that maybe we worked too much.”
It was not too much for their legacy, as Afra and Tobia Scarpa’s work continues to inspire new generations. Scarpa designs are in collections at the Louvre, the Museum of Modern Art and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The couple was awarded the Compasso d’Oro in 1970 for the Soriana armchair.
Find vintage Afra & Tobia Scarpa furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Helsinki, Finland
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Three Bastiano Sofas in Leather by Tobia Scarpa for Haimi Finland, 1960sBy Afra & Tobia Scarpa, Tobia Scarpa, HaimiLocated in Helsinki, FIThree Bastiano sofas in leather by Tobia Scarpa for Haimi Finland, from the 1960s. Palisander frame with original cognac leather seats. Good vintage condition, minor wear consistent ...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Set of Two Armchairs by Grete Jalk, 1960sBy Grete JalkLocated in Helsinki, FISet of two armchairs by Grete Jalk from the 1960s. Teak frame with fabric upholstery. Good vintage condition, minor wear and patina consistent with age and use. The armchairs are sol...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Rare Scandinavian Modern Armchair by Esko Pajamies, 1950s/1960sBy Esko PajamiesLocated in Helsinki, FIScandinavian Modern armchair by Esko Pajamies from the 1950s/1960s. Birch frame, re-upholtered with quality Novatex -fabric. Good vintage condition, minor wear consistent with age an...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Armchairs '3 Pieces' by Karl-Erik Ekselius, Sweden for Joc Möbler Vetlanda 1960sBy JOC Mobler Vetlanda, Karl-Erik EkseliusLocated in Helsinki, FIArmchairs (3 pieces) by Karl-Erik Ekselius JOC Möbler Vetlanda from the 1960, refinished oak frame, newly upholstered in high quality Lauritzon´s L...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Finnish Scandinavian Modern Armchair, Einari Kyöstilä, 1940s/1950sLocated in Helsinki, FIThis elegant armchair was designed by Einari Kyöstilä in the 1940s or 1950s. It is made of birch and birch plywood, and it has been reupholstered with ...Category
Vintage 1940s Finnish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Set of Two Carin Bryggman Armchairs for Boman OY, 1950s/1960sBy Boman OYLocated in Helsinki, FIScandinavian modern set of arm chairs by Carin Bryggman for Boman OY, 1950s/1960s, teak frame, green and turquoise wool upholstery. Good vintage conditi...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Tobia Scarpa Bastiano Sofa in Rosewood by Haimi in FinlandBy Tobia ScarpaLocated in Limhamn, Skåne länSofa model Bastiano designed by Tobia Scarpa. Produced by Haimi in Finland.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Tobia Scarpa Sofa Model Bastiano Produced by Haimi in FinlandBy Tobia ScarpaLocated in Limhamn, Skåne länSofa model Bastiano designed by Tobia Scarpa. Produced by Haimi in Finland.Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
Wood, Lacquer, Leather
- Pair of Bastiano Armchairs by Tobia Scarpa for Gavina, 1960By Gavina, Tobia ScarpaLocated in Barcelona, ESPair of Bastiano armchairs designed in 1960 by Tobia Scarpa for Gavina, Italy. Mahogany wood structure and orignal removable leather cushions. Early s...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Knoll International Armchairs Model 'Bastiano' by Tobia Scarpa in Leather CognacBy Knoll, Tobia ScarpaLocated in Köln, NRWKnoll International armchairs model 'Bastiano' Tobia Scarpa leather cognac. Classic and chic tarmchairs from the Bastiano series, designed by the iconic Italian designer duo Afra & ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian ArmchairsMaterials
- Black Leather Bastiano Armchair by Afra E Tobia Scarpa for Gavina 70sBy Afra & Tobia Scarpa, GavinaLocated in Padova, ITLeather Bastiano armchair designed by Afra & Tobia Scarpa and produced by Gavina 1960s. Wooden structure with leather upholstery. Afra & Tobia Scarp...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Knoll International Armchairs Model 'Bastiano' Tobia Scarpa Leather Dark BrownBy Knoll, Tobia ScarpaLocated in Köln, NRWKnoll International armchairs model 'Bastiano' Tobia Scarpa leather dark brown A classic and chic pair of armchairs from the Bastiano series, des...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian ArmchairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery