Vintage Pair of Leather and Chrome Wassily ChairsItem Status:
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Pair of Leather and Chrome Wassily Chairs
- CreatorMarcel Breuer (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29.25 in. (74.3 cm)Width: 31 in. (78.74 cm)Depth: 28 in. (71.12 cm)Seat Height: 15.75 in. (40.01 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationAustin, TX
- Reference NumberSeller: 14E331stDibs: LU85951345670
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Austin, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About Marcel Breuer (Designer)
The architect and designer Marcel Breuer was one the 20th century’s most influential and innovative adherents of modernism. A member of the Bauhaus faculty, Breuer — like such colleagues as the architects Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and the artists and art theoreticians Laszlo Moholy-Nagy and Josef Albers — left Europe in the 1930s to champion the new design philosophy and its practice in the United States.
Born in Hungary, Breuer became a Bauhaus student in 1920 and quickly impressed Gropius, the German school’s founder, with his aptitude for furniture design. His early work was influenced by the minimalist Dutch design movement De Stijl — in particular the work of architect Gerrit Rietveld. In 1925, while he was head of the Bauhaus furniture workshop, Breuer realized his signature innovation: the use of lightweight tubular-steel frames for chairs, tables and sofas — a technique soon adopted by Mies and others. Breuer’s attention gradually shifted from design to architecture, and, at the urging of Gropius, he joined his mentor in 1937 on the faculty of Harvard and in an architectural practice.
In the 1940s, Breuer opened his own architectural office, and there his style evolved from geometric, glass-walled structures toward a kind of hybrid architecture — seen in numerous Breuer houses in New England — that pairs bases of local fieldstone with sleek, wood-framed modernist upper floors. In his later, larger commissions, Breuer worked chiefly with reinforced concrete and stone, as seen in his best-known design, the Brutalist inverted ziggurat built in New York in 1966 as the home of the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Breuer’s most famous furniture pieces are those made of tubular steel, which include the Wassily chair — named after Wassily Kandinsky and recognizable for its leather-strap seating supports — and the caned Cesca chair. Breuer also made several notable designs in molded plywood, including a chaise and nesting table for the British firm Isokon and a student furniture suite commissioned in 1938 for a dormitory at Bryn Mawr College. Whether in metal or wood, Breuer’s design objects are elegant and adaptable examples of classic modernist design — useful and appropriate in any environment.
- By Marcel BreuerLocated in Austin, TXPair of armchairs in the manner of Marcel Breuer’s Wassily design. These chairs are made of white leather and ch...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
ChromeH 30.25 in. W 30.5 in. D 26.5 in.$4,200 / set
- Located in Austin, TXFantastic pair of modernist armchairs from France. This pair has polished chrome frames with great geometric sha...Category
Vintage 1980s French Modern ArmchairsMaterials
ChromeH 30 in. W 31.5 in. D 28.5 in.$5,900 / set
- Located in Austin, TXItalian Mid-Century Modern period pair of armchairs in original velvet and striped velvet upholstery with black ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
BrassH 37 in. W 28 in. D 33 in.$5,500 Sale Price / set30% Off
- Located in Austin, TXVintage modernist orange leather armchairs from Italy. This pair is in excellent vintage condition and fully cov...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
LeatherH 34.5 in. W 22 in. D 21.75 in.$2,500 / set
- Located in Austin, TXPair of armchairs featuring tufted, cognac-colored leather. Each chair features one armrest, allowing these chai...Category
Vintage 1950s French Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
LeatherH 33.25 in. W 50 in. D 32.5 in.$3,995 / set
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s American Bauhaus Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1980s Italian Bauhaus Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century Italian International Style Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century Italian Bauhaus Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1920s European Bauhaus Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery