- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Baker Furniture Mahogany Bergere Chair Newly Upholstered in Calfskin Zebra Print
About the Item
- Creator:Baker Furniture Company (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 34 in (86.36 cm)Width: 30 in (76.2 cm)Depth: 30 in (76.2 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Late 20th Century
- Seller Location:West Hartford, CT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3072332630792
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
Browse vintage Baker armchairs, sofas, coffee tables and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: West Hartford, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Baker Furniture Mahogany Bergere Chair Newly Upholstered in Calfskin Zebra PrintBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in West Hartford, CTStunning, signed Baker Furniture mahogany bergere chair with brass nailheads and newly upholstered in a real calfskin with zebra print. What makes this chair extra special is that there are two hides used, on with browns and one with blacks, see photos. A spectacular chair. Note we have a second one, not quite a match due to the difference in hides, also available exclusively on our 1stDibs platform this week...Category
Late 20th Century American Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Pair of French Louis XV Bergere Armchairs Chairs with New UpholsteryLocated in West Hartford, CTA superb pair of newly upholstered matching bergere chairs. They have natural wood carved frames with an intentionally distressed finish and are upholstered in a neutral beige soft t...Category
Mid-20th Century French Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Theodore Alexander French Provincial Carved Dining Chairs FauteiulsBy Theodore AlexanderLocated in West Hartford, CTSet of 5 18th century style French fauteuils armchairs with a distressed green and faux gilded finish. Striped upholstery on the seats. Marked underneath.Category
Late 20th Century French Provincial ArmchairsMaterials
Upholstery, Wood$2,800 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Guillermo Eyelash Wing Chair Newly Upholstered Armchair in Black Velvet, 1950sLocated in West Hartford, CTNewly reupholstered Guillermo wing chair, and iconic Hollywood Regency chair. The main fabric is black velvet and there is a burst of neon yellow piping as well. This is a very comfo...Category
Vintage 1950s Hollywood Regency ArmchairsMaterials
Fabric, Textile, Velvet, Wood
- French Louis XVI Bergere Armchair Chair with Matching OttomanLocated in West Hartford, CTThe generously proportioned Versailles bergere chair and ottoman are Louis XVI inspired with delightful handcarved detailing. Upholstered in a neutral beige linen fabric. Ottoman dim...Category
Mid-20th Century Louis XVI Bergere ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Textile, Linen, Wood
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Bespoke Custom Newly Upholstered Club ChairsLocated in West Hartford, CTElegant pair of matching Mid-Century Modern bespoke club chairs, circa 1960s but completely restored and reupholstered. The fabric picked is luxurious and the color is hard to descri...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Pair of 19th C. Belgian Newly Upholstered Bleached Carved Bergère ChairsLocated in Chicago, ILThe pair of Bergère chairs are stunning! The wood has been bleached after the darker wood stain of yesteryear has been removed. Fresh and lovely reupholstered in Belgian textural linen.Category
Antique 19th Century Belgian French Provincial Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Scandinavian Newly Upholstered Bergere in Mahogany, c. 1860Located in Miami, FLA lovely bergere with graceful lines in French-polished mahogany, newly upholstered in a Lee Jofa fabric. All springs are eight-way, hand-tied. Extrem...Category
Antique 19th Century Scandinavian Louis Philippe Bergere ChairsMaterials
Mahogany, Fabric, Upholstery
- Louis XV Bergère Armchair in Ralph Lauren Zebra PrintLocated in Munich, DEThis Louis XV style armchair comes from 19th century France. Its is made from Oak & has been traditionally upholstered with Ralph Lauren Zebra fabri...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Pair Baker Furniture Provincial French Country Louis XV Blue Bergere Arm ChairsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Philadelphia, PAPair of original blue upholstered Bergeres made for B. Altman & Co by Baker Furniture Co in the Country French / Louis XV Style. This quality pair of armchairs features solid walnut ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Louis XV Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Upholstered BergereLocated in Bridgeport, CTWith a shaped crest rail, carved arm ends and cabriole short legs. With a recessed back frame. Upholstered in an off-white diamond pattern textured fabric with contrasting brown pipi...Category
20th Century French Provincial ArmchairsMaterials
- 1940s Newly Upholstered Louis XV Provincial Carved Mahogany Bergère ChairLocated in Germantown, MDA newly upholstered Louis XVI Provincial carved mahogany Bergère chair. Totally restored. Great quality and very fine upholstery work. Very comfortable. Measures 26" in width, 25" ...Category
Mid-20th Century French Louis XVI Bergere ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery