- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 Vitra Meta Conference Chair by Alberto Meda 12 Available
About the Item
- Creator:Vitra (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 39 in (99.06 cm)Width: 27.5 in (69.85 cm)Depth: 27 in (68.58 cm)Seat Height: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1996
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Pasadena, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU867125646812
Design house Vitra has garnered international recognition for more than 70 years — the Swiss family-owned furniture company has outfitted public spaces as well as residential properties and offices worldwide. It has been a proponent of modernist design since the 1950s. While the brand is heralded for its collaborations with mid-century modern icons such as Verner Panton, Charles and Ray Eames, Alexander Girard and others, Vitra’s German campus is also home to buildings designed by legendary architects Zaha Hadid and Frank Gehry. Among them is the Vitra Design Museum, an independent cultural institution that displays two centuries of design today.
Vitra was established in Weil Am Rhein, Germany, in 1950 by husband and wife team Willi and Erika Fehlbaum. On a trip to New York several years later, Willi Fehlbaum encountered the work of design polymaths Ray and Charles Eames in a furniture store and immediately knew that he had found his bliss.
In 1957, Vitra entered into a licensing agreement with Herman Miller, which saw the company producing designs by George Nelson, the Eameses and others. Later, Vitra partnered with Verner Panton and created the Panton chair, which was the first chair ever crafted from a single piece of molded plastic (it was also the first piece to be independently developed by Vitra). After 27 years of establishing the Vitra brand, the Fehlbaums passed control to their two sons, Rolf and Raymond Fehlbaum.
When a fire destroyed the factory in 1981, the brothers developed the Vitra Factory Campus, subsequently taking the opportunity to redirect the architectural landscape of the company. They created a masterplan with Nicholas Grimshaw, and together they erected four buildings in just a few short years.
In 1988, with the passing of Ray Eames and the disbandment of the Los Angeles Eames office, Rolf and Raymond acquired the furniture design portion of her estate, including the Eames prototypes and experimental models, housed today in the Vitra Design Museum.
Rolf and Roy opened the Vitra Design Museum in 1989. This began a period rich with design relationships, including collaborations with Antonio Citterio, Jasper Morrison, Maarten van Severen, Philippe Starck, Alberto Meda and others.
In 2012, leadership passed to Nora, the third generation of the Fehlbaums. Nora Fehlbaum has, like her grandparents, expanded the company and brought it into the 21st century with the acquisition of Finnish furniture manufacturer Artek. Nora has turned the company’s focus to sustainability yet still maintains its international and cultural relevance legacy.
Find a collection of Vitra lounge chairs, tables, side chairs, sofas and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Pasadena, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- 1 Stylex Sava Conference Chair 6 AvailableBy StylexLocated in Pasadena, TXStylex Sava conference chair Designed by award-winning architect Sava Cvek and backed by more than half a century of Stylex know-how, SAVA Mesh Back repre...Category
Early 2000s North American Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- 1 Knoll Sapper Visitor Dining Conference Chair Sled BaseBy Richard SapperLocated in Pasadena, TX1 Sapper visitor chair with sled base. 1979 Visitor sled chair by the German industrial designer, Richard Sapper (1932-2015), for the Knoll company. ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary European Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs ...Materials
- Dauphin Stilo Conference with 5 Star Base by Jessica EngelhardtBy Plan DauphineLocated in Pasadena, TXDauphin Stilo conference with 5 star base and casters Stilo’s clean lines with rounded edges and wide, uninterrupted surfaces offers the perfect platform for s...Category
Antique Late 19th Century North American Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Ward Bennett for Brickel and Associates Desk Conference ChairBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TXBumper desk chair by Ward Bennett for Brickel and Associates Ward Bennett for Brickel and Associates Task Chair Bronze 4-star swivel conference room chair in a green tweed fabric....Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Des...Materials
- 1 Ward Bennett for Brickel and Associates Desk Conference ChairBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TX1 Ward Bennett for Brickel and associates barrel-back leather chair 4-star anodized bronze base swivel conference room chair in a rich brow...Category
Vintage 1970s Unknown Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- 1 Ward Bennett for Brickel and Associates Leather Desk Conference ChairBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TX1 Ward Bennett for Brickel and associates barrel-back leather chair 4-star anodized bronze base swivel conference room chair in a rich brow...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk C...Materials
- Italian Alberto Meda Office Chair for Vitra in Red Leather 1990By Alberto Meda, VitraLocated in Byron Bay, NSWRed Leather and aluminium adjstable office chair by Alberto Meda for Vitra 1990 Perfect working condition.Category
20th Century Italian Modern ChairsMaterials
- Alberto Meda Office Chair from Alias ItalyBy Alberto Meda, AliasLocated in Oostrum-Venray, NLAlberto Meda for Alias - chair 'meeting frame 436' The chair was produced in the year 2007, in Italy. This was done by Alias, an Italian high end produc...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Single Eames Aluminium Group Chair by Vitra, 1980sBy Jean-Pierre Vitrac, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in London, GBSingle Eames aluminium group chair by Vitra, 1980s.Category
Late 20th Century American ChairsMaterials
- Banquet Hall, Meeting, Restaurant, Conference ChairsLocated in Cranbrook, KentMid-Century Modern style Banquet hall, meeting, conference chairs Dual leather colours available Material steel 1" x 1" thickness 3/16" Painted frame finish Seat cushion 2-3/8" Minim...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Aluminum Chairs by Charles & Ray Eames for Vitra, USA, 1958By Charles and Ray Eames, VitraLocated in Antwerp, BEAluminum Chair; Charles & Ray Eames; Vitra; 1958; Office Chair; Leather; Chrome; Brown; The Aluminum Group; USA; Aluminum chair designed by Charles & Ray Eames and manufactured by ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Vitra EA108 Aluminium Chair by Charles Eames Netweave, Set of 8By Charles and Ray Eames, VitraLocated in Aachen, NWNicwe set of 8 black netweave chairs model EA108 produced by Vitra. The chairs features a polished aluminium frame and are all made in 2014. The set is perfect useable in a dining...Category
2010s German ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery